Out for a ride...95 Sport

pibroch1

I never post - albeit, I should. Haven't had my 1100 Sport Carb (own a Coppa Italia also) out in awhile - went out for a ride yesterday in the Hudson Valley of NY. Is it me, or is there something about riding a bike w/ carbs? Just had a blast riding today...(replaced the fork springs w/ a set of Andreani's - game changer). Swear this bike has more pull/better mid-range than my V11. Just more connected to the machine w/ carbs. My 96 Buell S1 and 95' Fireball Orange Speed Triple the same...V11 Coppa Italia + an XR 1200 not as much!

Tried uploading photo - file to large - posted to the Members Gallery...

Any similar thoughts/comments?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pibroch1 said:

Swear this bike has more pull/better mid-range than my V11.

Any similar thoughts/comments?

Could it be the Sport has a five speed and the V11 6 speeds?

Don't think so...just general overall feel/seat of my pants - coupled with the 1100 Sport geared real tall which seems to make up for the 5 speed/difference. Actually, like the 5 speeds better to - rarely use 6th gear on my Coppa.

It does have the Sudco aftermarket carbs and did lose the stock airbox - sure a jump in HP.

I've been enjoying my recently acquired 1989 LeMans. It has carbs, pods, electronic ignition, and full aftermarket exhaust. It's got a bit, fat, mid-range and pulls surprisingly well. I've been tempted to say it is equal to my Scura in some respects, but I am going to enlist a buddy to join me for a ride on the LeMans and Scura so we can both ride both bikes on the same roads and compare notes.

So far my impression is simply that V11 Scura is more refined than the Tonti-framed LeMans. I think the smoothness of the Scura's fuel injection, lightweight flywheel, and easy-shifting 6-speed make the LeMans V seem more brutish by comparison. 

22 minutes ago, Scud said:

I've been enjoying my recently acquired 1989 LeMans. It has carbs, pods, electronic ignition, and full aftermarket exhaust. It's got a bit, fat, mid-range and pulls surprisingly well. I've been tempted to say it is equal to my Scura in some respects, but I am going to enlist a buddy to join me for a ride on the LeMans and Scura so we can both ride both bikes on the same roads and compare notes.

So far my impression is simply that V11 Scura is more refined than the Tonti-framed LeMans. I think the smoothness of the Scura's fuel injection, lightweight flywheel, and easy-shifting 6-speed make the LeMans V seem more brutish by comparison. 

I spent a *lot* of research, time, and money on my '85 LM1000. The Web 86b cam is so big I had to change lifters and mill the lifter bores- yet it is far more drivable than the stock camshaft. I milled in perhaps .5 point compression and had the heads ported, but retained the stock Dellorto carbs. It's my studied opinion that the 'brutish feel' of these old hot rods is the 'brick on a stick' camshafts they had, ancient paper designs whereas the modern bikes (and aftermarket cams) have the benefit of computer dynamic modelling of both airflow and valvetrain dynamics, so both power and drivability can be largely determined before the first spark is thrown griding the cam. My '97 1100 Sport-i isn't as smooth, even with the newly installed Caruso gearset- which was an enormous improvement.

• Like 3

My 89 LeMans also has the Caruso gears. But I got it with the mods already done, and I have never ridden a stock Tonti-LeMans. The PO said each mod made significant improvements. He didn't mention any head or cam work, but he was especially rhapsodic about the Zard stainless exhaust. He said the header pipes are a larger diameter than stock and "woke up" the bike.

Brick on a stick... that's funny.

• Like 2

Well said men...think it's just the "brutish" feel I like best. If I'm going to ride on a large engine, sandwiched between two wheels, I'd like to experience that sensation of the engine, smells, vibration, view and look of the engine, body etc.

If I want something quiet/smooth, I'll hop in my car.

My 96 Buell S1 also provides a great experience - it's raucous, loud, simple, lightweight and handles beautifully - really cool little bike. Sort of a Ducati Monster, powered by a breathed-on Harley 1200 Sportster motor...

• Like 5