I have a new security system at the Moto Grappa. 

It was on duty about 7 a.m. this morning when I went down there.

i-VRMhFKq-L.jpg

I don't think I'll wear sandals down there anymore.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well you won't have to worry about mice!😆

We get Tigers, Red-Bellied Blacks and Eastern Brown snakes in our yard Bill and the Garage is full of Redback spiders too which are pretty nasty. Any of the three common snakes will kill you, the Eastern Brown is in the top five most venomous in the world! They're generally OK though. If we leave them alone they leave us alone.

Its my daughter that worries me. She works for the Dept of environment and conservation and one of her projects is studying Whip Snake numbers. Problem is the little whip snakes, (Which are venomous but have tiny, ineffectual little fangs.) live under the same rocks and logs as dirty great big Eastern Browns and she gaily goes around 'Counting' them by picking up their cover and annoying the shit out of them! She hasn't been bitten......Yet!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, footgoose said:

copperhead?

Yes.  Juvenile.  See good piece about those here:  Copperhead Snake Factoids

6 hours ago, pete roper said:

Well you won't have to worry about mice!😆

We get Tigers, Red-Bellied Blacks and Eastern Brown snakes in our yard Bill and the Garage is full of Redback spiders too which are pretty nasty. Any of the three common snakes will kill you, the Eastern Brown is in the top five most venomous in the world! They're generally OK though. If we leave them alone they leave us alone.

Its my daughter that worries me. She works for the Dept of environment and conservation and one of her projects is studying Whip Snake numbers. Problem is the little whip snakes, (Which are venomous but have tiny, ineffectual little fangs.) live under the same rocks and logs as dirty great big Eastern Browns and she gaily goes around 'Counting' them by picking up their cover and annoying the shit out of them! She hasn't been bitten......Yet!

Yikes re daughter.  That would make any mom & dad nervous!  

We respect snakes, spiders, and other less lovable creatures, but, especially for our grandkids, draw the line at venomous ones in the house and curtilage.  There are various versions of black snakes on the property that prey upon all sorts of rodents and, interestingly, copperheads and rattlesnakes.  We are happy to see those constrictors, and -- no doubt in part because of them -- this is the first venomous snake we've seen here.  That small copperhead was not, of course, an "only child," but juvenile snakes have many predators and there probably aren't many left.  I am still being more careful about footgear, at least for awhile!  :o

Bill

With us Bill there is no point in worrying. Bungendore is a sort of Las Vegas for Tiger Snakes and Browns are common. It's just something you live with, like bears in your neck of the woods but at least with snakes if they do kill you it won't be with any sort of malice!

As for Erika? She's a scientist. Deeply committed and fully aware of the dangers. She's not like those idiots you see on YouTube trying to pat lions or stroke a bison! I worry more about her being attacked by some toothless meth-head in Queanbeyan than I do about her fondling of venomous animals.

Mind you I'd hate to be the meth-head who tried it on with her! She's a not insubstantial young woman used to hard physical labour and while she's not a fighter I feel that a right uppercut followed by a left hook would probably render most aggressors senseless on the ground with birds tweeting around their head like a cartoon villain!😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We have a similar high regard for black snakes...we run across copperheads fairly regular here in SW Missouri. One adult black snake liked to cool itself in the well house drip bucket. No problem...whenever I showed up for my weekly physical plant inspection/maintenance I'd jostle the bucket and he/she would slither off uneventfully. Funny (not really) about the copperhead in your shop...a few days ago I found a juvenile black snake in mine. Dismissed it at first as wayward HD fringe on the floor.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Chanclas are as much a throwing weapon as footwear. Don't you have any Phillipino or Latino neighbors? It's a fine art, and deadly. Just ask any kid.

Not to be left out...

In Tucson here we have the occasional desert rattlesnake. But at least they'll give warning.. A copperhead will just pop up and scare the shit out of you. 

• Thanks 1