Yet another mystery oil leak

Grim

Whilst I have searched to the best of my ability, I am failing to understand this oil leak from the area around the top of the gearbox.

I am using shockproof light in the gearbox, which is blue and smelly; the oil leak is not blue, or smelly.

The green highlight is the path of the oil, after cleaning everything. As it was collecting around the gearbox drain plug it was hard to determine where it was coming from originally, but after cleaning I have seen a trickle of fresh oil making its way down this path. It then goes behind the starter, and down to the gearbox drain plug.

GTFndC3.jpg

The sheen on the clutch slave is not oil, it's just a bad paint job, I assure you! It's all dry around the back and under the clutch slave.

The oil breather pipe on top of the engine seems dry.

dOIt0eJ.jpg

Before I take everything apart, is there a drain hole in the airbox? I know oil gets in there quite a bit. That's all I can see up top above where the oil seems to be originating.

Any ideas?

It's worth checking the engine breather hose on top of the engine which does degrade and leak, spreading oil far and wide.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paradiso said:

It's worth checking the engine breather hose on top of the engine which does degrade and leak, spreading oil far and wide.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Is that the large hose on the second photo? It looks depressingly dry from the side view, I was hoping it would be that. 

Well although you don't believe it's gearbox oil if you don't get a result with the simple stuff dont discount a cracked gearbox mount when you've exhausted all the other simple possibilities.

Ciao

36 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Well although you don't believe it's gearbox oil if you don't get a result with the simple stuff dont discount a cracked gearbox mount when you've exhausted all the other simple possibilities.

Ciao

Thanks, is this the mount that sit on an axle through the bottom/rear of the gearbox? It really look like it's coming from the top, parallel with the back of the starter. 

Is there another crack prone mount further up the gearbox?

25 minutes ago, Grim said:

Thanks, is this the mount that sit on an axle through the bottom/rear of the gearbox? It really look like it's coming from the top, parallel with the back of the starter. 

Is there another crack prone mount further up the gearbox?

The top transmission mount on both sides where the trans connects to the frame. Look at my V11/Daytona thread. I did a comprehensive repair in that thread with lots of images and explanations. 

Ciao 

• Like 1

Spent a day taking the bike apart, cleaned the top gearbox mount areas and I can't see any cracks, all looks good.

I traced the oil to the bottom of the airbox, running down from the base of  the loose breather hose, then down inner left an getting all over the general area.

I should add that oil has also run down the inside of the airbox on the left hand side and seeped out around the intake rubber, adding to the general oilyness in the area.

Anyway, good to have a cleanup with the tank and airbox off the bike

• Like 3

Grim,,, going deeper are usually rewarding :rasta:, taking care of the gal, minor details, good.

Cheers tom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grim said:

Spent a day taking the bike apart, cleaned the top gearbox mount areas and I can't see any cracks, all looks good.

Anyway, good to have a cleanup with the tank and airbox off the bike

If the breather hose is original, consider replacing it. I don't know what they made those things of but don't trust an old one. They don't hold up to oil and heat. My '02 was shot by 2012 and my '00 needs replacing now.

• Like 2