"Mac's" Carburetor cleaner

Pressureangle

Asked NAPA for a case of carb cleaner, they came back with about 8 cans of 'Mac's' carb cleaner. Who cares, right?

So I'm working on the '89 Mille GT. Had the sump off, tried to clean it with Mac's. No go- simply doesn't cut oil and light, if old, mung. Bleah.
Go to the carbs last night, been sitting some time so plenty of varnish. Put all the bits in a cup and make a puddle of Mac's. Doesn't touch the varnish or deposits. Bleah.
Then, suddenly, right before my eyes, I watch the o-rings and inlet valve tips expand and disintegrate. Oh, happy day- carb cleaner that doesn't clean anything and destroys carburetor parts in less than 30 seconds. Inlet valve assemblies are $25 each. 

Just a 'beware'. Don't try to save a penny or a minute using this crap. I returned all of it, not that they cared at all.

NAPA Mac's Carburetor, Choke and Throttle Body Cleaner ...

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Pretty easy to make something that goes after only the soft targets. So, Stoddard solvent and a parts brush?

23 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Pretty easy to make something that goes after only the soft targets. So, Stoddard solvent and a parts brush?

Yeah, I think from now on I'm just going to use MEK and Acetone after I investigate their tolerance by viton. It's not as convenient but I know it works. I'll use Gumout or CRC for places I have to spray. 

Hmm. I’ve got a gallon of that in the shop, awaiting my flat slide carb from my old-ish DR350.

• Sad 1

After recently rebuilding 3 throttle body sets I use one of these. I've 2 one large 20Litre one and a small one for, well small stuff. Forget the toxic spray and soak junk these work perfectly esp for things like throttle bodies.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Digital-Durable-Stainless/dp/B08R73QMYR/ref=asc_df_B08R73QMYR/?tag=googleshopdsk-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=463522662873&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=803062948571161468&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9071372&hvtargid=pla-1161471464591&psc=1

Here's what a 25 year old second hand covered in grunge throttle body looks like after 30min in the ultrasonic tank. Plus all the internal passages are clean as well.

DSC01136.JPG

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Phil, what did you use as the medium/liquid?

I picked up one of these this winter, but haven’t used it yet.  Was thinking the flat slide would be a good candidate.

Sorry you had that experience, but thanks for the heads up. I typically trust NAPA, but will avoid that product and stick with Gumout or CRC.

+1 on Phil's recommendation for an ultrasonic cleaner. I have a small one and have used it with Simple Green, CLR, Purple Power, and diesel fuel. For small parts, put the solvent and part in a plastic bag, then fill the ultrasound with water an immerse the bag in the water.

• Like 2

Some of those solvents are nasty crap, I've seen a few expensive plastic things vanish before my eyes, lol.

There was recently a post on WG re Deoxit being toxic to the inner soft rubber sealing membrane of the water proof electrical connectors.

I noticed that myself when I worked through the electrical harness on my V11 with Deoxit/Vaseline, membrane turned all mushy/puffy.

The cheapskate in me, has kept me from getting an ultrasonic cleaner, but I like that idea of the parts in a sealed bag w solution in a tank full of water, that makes a lot of sense! and sounds much easier to manage.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gmc28 said:

Phil, what did you use as the medium/liquid?

I picked up one of these this winter, but haven’t used it yet.  Was thinking the flat slide would be a good candidate.

A little bit of simple green or C18 truck wash. you dont need much around 3% is enough. I used petrol with some injector cleaner to clean the injectors in my small jewellery ultrasonic bath. I also had it connected up to a 6volt battery supply to hold the injector open while it was cleaning. 

It was such a dodgy thing to do (outside in the full open air I might add) I stood by with a fire extinguisher the whole time. I was thinking as it was working that this is the sort of practice that ends up on the nightly news. I'm making a home made safe injector cleaner now.

Ciao  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1