Found a 1976? BMW R90/6 around the corner where I live... owner open to offers; opinions? yay/nay?

This sorry looking R90/6 has been sitting outside in the rain for a while, and since it is on my street and it was not always there, I stopped by and inquired.

This was a gift bike. There is no title and I was told it was indeed for sale, but they did not have a price for it yet. The guy I spoke to said he would have to get a tittle bond, which I am not familiar with.

As I was picking up my Le Mans from the shop today, I asked for advice and what I got was not very encouraging. The recommendation I got was to purchase a bike in running state as these project bikes can end up costing a fortune. Especially when you do not have any kind of history.

The seller said he would give me a call during the week to give me a price.

I think this bike is a 1976, because of the brake levers' shape. The 1974 had a very pronounced dog leg.

As you can see, many accessories are missing, and my Guzzi shop which work on old bikes too said I should pay no more than $400 for a bike in that kind of shape. I was told the tank and seat could be had for under $1000, however the bike may need a lot more than just what is obviously missing. I assume it has 105914 miles on the odometer. My main issue is that I do not have any tools to work on it. I would have to purchase everything, including a stand. I know my way around mechanical things, my main worry is to source BMW parts in the USA. I already had a little taste with my Guzzi. Replacing the handlebar weight on the right hand side took one month. And the one I got is not painted.

I am aware we are in the Guzzisti V11 garden here, but maybe some of you have more experience than me in restoring old motorcycles.

I am not trying to make it look like new. I just would like to make it running again, so I could use it side by side with my Le Mans.

Anybody can confirm the year? NADA says a running R90/6 of 1976 in fair condition should be priced at $1795.

Should a 400/500ish offer be insulting? what do you think? stick to the Le Mans only? leave this one to the flippers?

_N4A4545_N4A4546_N4A4549_N4A4550_N4A4551_N4A4552_N4A4554_N4A4555_N4A4556_N4A4557_N4A4558_N4A4560_N4A4561_N4A4562_N4A4564_N4A4565_N4A4567_N4A4571

Run, don't walk away.. unless you have endless time and even more money I see it as a complete waste of your time. Why would you want to spend hours working on that heap when you have a Lemans to ride?

but yeah $3-400 sounds reasonable.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, fotoguzzi said:

Run, don't walk away.. unless you have endless time and even more money I see it as a complete waste of your time. Why would you want to spend hours working on that heap when you have a Lemans to ride?

but yeah $3-400 sounds reasonable.

I was just composing my post saying the same thing. You'll be in it for $2500 just to get it roadworthy. If it was complete with title, $500.

• Like 2

My wife sometimes comes across similar "projects." (Not motorcycles)

I always say, "Sure. If that is what you want to spend your life doing." :huh:

Very recently I came across a loop frame Eldorado. Black, civilian, original. Running, well cared for, and seen to. Everything I love about those early Guzzi twins.

A rather wise sort (you know who you are!) said [and I paraphrase],

" . . . to keep [any bike or car] in pristine condition, will go as long as the next issue.

On old cars, and bikes, you can never expect them to run perfectly always . . . "

To start with something as harsh as that BMW would take tremendous time, devotion, and resources. It is easy to click glasses with @fotoguzzi :bier: . . .

"Why would you want to spend hours working on that heap when you have a Lemans to ride? "

• Like 1

Whatever happened to the "right price" being "whoever drags it out of my sight and doesn't charge me to do so". Seems to me what it's worth in the harsh light of day. Maybe a case of beer, cheap beer that is. Valuing old shitters like this is about what you want it to be. A part it out exercise, full resto, old rat bike, what? and of course the hidden mysteries within.

Ciao 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Put $400 a month in jar till you have enough to buy one that runs. You will spend less money and have a running bike sooner.

Did you notice the spoke wheel up front and the mag in the back? If it had a pair of good condition "snowflake" wheels, it could be worth $400 just to get the wheels. If it was an R90S, I might sing a different tune, but there is nothing special about a /6.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Behold! In sooth it is the turdy-most! An originally flatulent and boring motorcycle with the handling characteristics of an occasional table with castors, one of which is missing, the appearance of a 1940's Belgian croissant delivery cart that makes a noise like a parson farting in the bath.

To compound it's horridness large parts of it are missing and acquiring them will mean you will have to spend time interacting with other owners of noxious, antiquated BMW's. Now if old Guzzi owners are notorious for their corn cob pipes and resistance to anything that even hints at modernity BMW owners are infinitely worse! Never mind the corn cob pipes, the BMW crowd all speak in high squeaky voices, have stained cardigans that stop, (Usually because the knitting is unraveling!) above their navels revealing their undergarments that are always covered in unmentionable stains! Their beige trousers have a crotch about at knee level and the bottoms of the legs are always frayed as they are far too long and as a result have been trodden on by their leatherette brothel-creepers. Often the trouser cuffs will have dogshit on them as well because these people are usually accompanied by small, yapping, dogs that crap everywhere. Crowning the whole lot will be a tartan Tam-o-shanter that looks like it's been farted on by a horse.

When you talk to these people it's always important to wear at least a mask but preferably an airtight helmet of some sort as they are incapable of normal speech and their shrill utterances are always accompanied by torrents of spittle and half digested food.

If you do, mistakenly, go ahead with such a purchase it must be remembered that within 18 months you too will resemble the type of person portrayed above! I'm sorry, but it is inevitable and cannot be avoided.

Remember. Just say 'No' to BMW's. It's for your own good.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9
20 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Behold! In sooth it is the turdy-most! An originally flatulent and boring motorcycle with the handling characteristics of an occasional table with castors, one of which is missing, the appearance of a 1940's Belgian croissant delivery cart that makes a noise like a parson farting in the bath.

To compound it's horridness large parts of it are missing and acquiring them will mean you will have to spend time interacting with other owners of noxious, antiquated BMW's. Now if old Guzzi owners are notorious for their corn cob pipes and resistance to anything that even hints at modernity BMW owners are infinitely worse! Never mind the corn cob pipes, the BMW crowd all speak in high squeaky voices, have stained cardigans that stop, (Usually because the knitting is unraveling!) above their navels revealing their undergarments that are always covered in unmentionable stains! Their beige trousers have a crotch about at knee level and the bottoms of the legs are always frayed as they are far too long and as a result have been trodden on by their leatherette brothel-creepers. Often the trouser cuffs will have dogshit on them as well because these people are usually accompanied by small, yapping, dogs that crap everywhere. Crowning the whole lot will be a tartan Tam-o-shanter that looks like it's been farted on by a horse.

When you talk to these people it's always important to wear at least a mask but preferably an airtight helmet of some sort as they are incapable of normal speech and their shrill utterances are always accompanied by torrents of spittle and half digested food.

If you do, mistakenly, go ahead with such a purchase it must be remembered that within 18 months you too will resemble the type of person portrayed above! I'm sorry, but it is inevitable and cannot be avoided.

I hurt my kidneys laughing at this so hard it had to be set as the "answer", imho.

Once again P.Roper keeps us honest. Even if it hurts our kidneys. :lol::D:grin:

edit: [I tried to read that post again, completely burst a kidney and am off to hospital. Reader beware!  :sun:

• Haha 2

If you are:

1. Older,

2. Skinny,

3. Have long stringy gray hair,

4. A matching wispy beard,

5. Wear small wire-rimmed glasses,

6. Wear waxed cotton/ancient full leathers,

7. A pudding bowl helmet and goggles,

...it might be just the bike for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, po18guy said:

If you are:

1.  MUCH Older,

2. UNHEALTHILY Skinny,

3. Have long stringy gray hair WITH THINGS LIVING IN IT 

4. A matching wispy NECK-beard,

5. Wear small wire-rimmed glasses,WITH GREASY RIME AROUND THE LENSES AND ONE ARM HELD ON WITH A STICKING PLASTER.

6. Wear waxed cotton/ancient full leathers, THAT SMELL RICHLY OF WEE.

7. A pudding bowl helmet and goggles, THAT AT RALLIES DOUBLES AS BOTH POTTY AND FOOD BOWL.

...it might be just the bike for you.

Fixed it for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As regards the bike at hand - it is a parts bike. If it was an "S", had the limited production Krauser 4-valve heads, and a Reg Pridmore heritage, OK. A garden variety /6...not so much.

"Used" bikes that are incomplete but "ran when parked" are often either 1) stripped as they barely ran even decades ago or 2) stripped by the thieves after they thrashed and crashed the whole mess. 

• Like 1

Pete beat me to it.

Back in the day, a friend and I traded bikes for a weekend. He had a R90S, and I had a Duck. I thought, "*this* POS is what people are raving about??" At the time, I thought hinge in the middle of the frame handling, but Pete has a much more accurate description..:grin: