Rubber padded foot peg conversion

RichMaund

These are 1998 Kawasaki ZX6 foot pegs & springs with a Bushing in the peg to take up the slack between the 10mm hole in the peg and the 6mm steel retaining pin that Guzzi uses. The Guzzi "hero feeler" nut will fit right onto the Kwacker peg. Not a drop in fit. You do need to make a bushing. But they are nicely padded and much more comfy than stock. They sit just a hair above horizontal. I like it though. Keeps my legs into the tank where they belong. But you could kiss them with a file and they would sit level for you. I bought the bits (Pegs, pads, springs, fasteners) from a local Dealer. About $50 for a pair.

This was one of my favorite mods to the bike as the stock pegs put pressure on my instep and made my feet "tingle" after a couple hours. Not a problem anymore!

I could make a set of the bushings for you. I would machine them from hard brass like I did mine. $20 for a set plus postage. That sounds steep, but by the time I make them, clean the lathe and take them to the PO I have an hour or two in the job. That's a good chunk of my work day. But you could make bushings if you have a drill press and a file too. Just takes longer. Hope this helps.

PS: These have 8K miles on them now. Looks they will wear pretty well!

V11SPegs_002.jpg

Really good tip about the pegs - I've been thinking about a change due to not liking the feel of the solid original ones. I will be doing this mod as soon as possible.

Thanks

Jim

But don't those pegs have only a thin and narrow strip of rubber built into them? Seems to me they may not offer much advantage over stock. I like the Kwacker pegs because the rubber padding is thick and hollow and wide on top for good comfort.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished installing Rich's Kwaker footpeg kit. Awesome! Why didn't Guzzi do it. Bought the bushings from Rich and the pegs and springs from my kwaker (ripoff) dealer. I paid somewhat more than Rich did so I would recommend shopping around but this is a great swap. More comfort less vibration. I also put on Eviluzione's footpeg relo kit ($12.00) and in combo they do the trick.

Great job Rich :bier:

Guest Squashed Nose

I had the rubber pegs on my ZX9 (strangely enough) and didn't like them at all. I much prefer the feel of the solid pegs and have never experienced any problem with vibration through them. In fact, I have only had a problem with vibration through the left bar, and that was only after riding 500 odd miles in a day. The high frequency vibration from my Ninja was far more noticeable (although still not a problem).

I must say though, the pictures of the conversion do look like a professional job.

I didn't do this conversion due to vibes in the pegs. That was never an issue. It was discomfort caused by the narrow and hard metal peg pressing into the arch of my foot that bothered me. After three hours into a ride, my feet hurt and actually tingled from the pressure on the nerves there! These rubber topped pegs solved it completely

My son tells me the passenger pegs do vibrate at certain rpms. He thinks it more funny than uncomfortable though. But when I can spare t he money, I will be getting another set for the passenger pegs. I know my wife will appreciate it as her riding boots have thin soles.

Thanks for comments in it! Those hours spent sweating in the loft of my local Jap bike salvage yard measuring different foot pegs didn't go to waste! B)

• 3 months later...
Guest dkgross

I took a different approach. I had an extra 1/2 inch Vibram Sole added to my riding boots. Helped disperse vibration, and gave me the added benifit of an easier reach to the ground :>)

• 2 years later...
I just finished installing Rich's Kwaker footpeg kit.  Awesome!  Why didn't Guzzi do it.  Bought the bushings from Rich and the pegs and springs from my kwaker (ripoff) dealer.  I paid somewhat more than Rich did so I would recommend shopping around but this is a great swap.  More comfort less vibration.  I also put on Eviluzione's footpeg relo kit ($12.00) and in combo they do the trick.

Great job Rich :bier:

1985[/snapback]

Is the evoluzione relocation kit still available for sale? can we buy it in the usa?