Tire inflation for our V11s... valve extension: flexible? elbow 90 or 135 degrees? do you do N2?

p6x

I have an air compressor at home, and the inlet is elbowed 90 degrees.

However, since Costco is providing N2, I would rather switch on my Le Mans. But the Costco inflator chuch is straight, so it does not fit.

I could install 90 degrees elbows, or 135 better for the front wheel, so it clears the rotors. You can also carry a small flexible too.

Anybody using any of those adapters (elbows) permanently installed?

Elbow 90 degreesElbows 135 degreesFlexible extension

Nitrogen has only two places in my world; 70% in the air I breathe, and 100% in tires where hot pressure is critical and blowouts contribute to fire safety.

Nitrogen was a real fad for a while, but when you realize that if you let all the air out of your tires, and re-inflate with 100% nitrogen (can you verify that it's 100% nitrogen?) you still have all the regular atmospheric air in the tire left over. So you go from 70% nitrogen to 90% nitrogen. Even the guys who use it for tire pressure control use pressure caps when it's legal. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I installed angled valve stems on the rims, both pointing to the right so they are a bit up when the bike is one the side stand. Buy some now, and hold on to them until next time you change the tires.

Here's an amazon link to the ones I used. Note that there is not a lot of extra thread when you install, so I suggest a dab of green loc-tite.

Also note, these are 83 degrees, which makes easier tool access than the 90 degree stems. Also, they are 8.3mm diameter, which is an uncommon size.

Nitrogen... I agree with pressureangle, don't bother.

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

Nitrogen has only two places in my world; 70% in the air I breathe, and 100% in tires where hot pressure is critical and blowouts contribute to fire safety.

Nitrogen was a real fad for a while, but when you realize that if you let all the air out of your tires, and re-inflate with 100% nitrogen (can you verify that it's 100% nitrogen?) you still have all the regular atmospheric air in the tire left over. So you go from 70% nitrogen to 90% nitrogen. Even the guys who use it for tire pressure control use pressure caps when it's legal. 

I am less categorical in what I do. Yes, the actual benefits appear to be small. But I like to check my air pressure often, and I always fill up at Costco.

So, why not check my tire pressure there? I am not even certain on the N2 percent, because I never did a full inflation, just top ups.

To me, it is more a practical thing than any kind of heap. Besides, if you are on the road and away from Costco, N2 options are restricted.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Scud said:

I installed angled valve stems on the rims, both pointing to the right so they are a bit up when the bike is one the side stand. Buy some now, and hold on to them until next time you change the tires.

Here's an amazon link to the ones I used. Note that there is not a lot of extra thread when you install, so I suggest a dab of green loc-tite.

Also note, these are 83 degrees, which makes easier tool access than the 90 degree stems. Also, they are 8.3mm diameter, which is an uncommon size.

Good information to install the inlet facing the opposite side of the kickstand. N2 is what Costco provides....

3 minutes ago, p6x said:

I am less categorical in what I do. Yes, the actual benefits appear to be small. But I like to check my air pressure often, and I always fill up at Costco.

So, why not check my tire pressure there? I am not even certain on the N2 percent, because I never did a full inflation, just top ups.

To me, it is more a practical thing than any kind of heap. Besides, if you are on the road and away from Costco, N2 options are restricted.

If it costs nothing, it hurts nothing. 

It was dealership gravy in the RV industry, and I got rather disenchanted with the unethical propaganda they used to sell it. They charged something like $25/tire 15 years ago. If it's free and convenient, I'd use it myself. There is no downside.

• Like 3

p6x, I do not think there is any benefit in nitrogen filled tyres. Never used it myself but if the opportunity arose I would not bother. On the other hand have installed angled valve stems front and rear. 90 at front and 135 at rear and yes both facing away from the side stand. 

Rob

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, O2 V11 said:

p6x, I do not think there is any benefit in nitrogen filled tyres. Never used it myself but if the opportunity arose I would not bother. On the other hand have installed angled valve stems front and rear. 90 at front and 135 at rear and yes both facing away from the side stand. 

Rob

I spent 42 years working in aviation inflating tyres on heavy jets as well as things like hydraulic reservoirs with Nitrogen. The benefits are a clean, consistent quality, dry source of inert pressure. That's about it really.

Ciao

• Like 4

For the bikes I have not installed 90 degree stems I made one of these. Fits in your pocket or anywhere else. Dual foot air chuck end with a Schrader valve installed.20190227_145246.jpg

Paul B:bier:

• Like 5

I use Nitrogen in my airplane (Glasair III) as was having problems with tires weeping a small amount of pressure (new tires and tubes). The larger N2 molecules stopped the leaking completely. Fill with Nitrogen once to purge, then second time to pressure. Use it in most of my motorcycles including V11 Ballabio and Stelvio. It cured the 1 psi rear and .25 psi front leak per week on the Stelvio which has the o ring sealed spokes. ( had replaced the spoke nipple o rings and tires with new tubeless, but still slow weeping of pressure). Rather than chasing these very slow weeping cases, now I just use Nitrogen.

I used to work for major airlines and we used Nitrogen in all tires and landing gear cylinders.

• Like 4

I know this much , the people that use nitrogen in tires , will continue this process . 

The ones that scoff at it , will continue to scoff at it . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhillipLarsen said:

I use Nitrogen in my airplane (Glasair III) as was having problems with tires weeping a small amount of pressure (new tires and tubes). The larger N2 molecules stopped the leaking completely. Fill with Nitrogen once to purge, then second time to pressure. Use it in most of my motorcycles including V11 Ballabio and Stelvio. It cured the 1 psi rear and .25 psi front leak per week on the Stelvio which has the o ring sealed spokes. ( had replaced the spoke nipple o rings and tires with new tubeless, but still slow weeping of pressure). Rather than chasing these very slow weeping cases, now I just use Nitrogen.

I used to work for major airlines and we used Nitrogen in all tires and landing gear cylinders.

Yep and they still leaked.

Ciao

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2021 at 9:17 AM, p6x said:

I have an air compressor at home, and the inlet is elbowed 90 degrees.

However, since Costco is providing N2, I would rather switch on my Le Mans. But the Costco inflator chuch is straight, so it does not fit.

I could install 90 degrees elbows, or 135 better for the front wheel, so it clears the rotors. You can also carry a small flexible too.

Anybody using any of those adapters (elbows) permanently installed?

I carry one under the seat in case I need an emergency top up. A downside is it unseats the valve in the wheel, so as you fit or remove it you lose a tiny bit of pressure. If you leave one on permanently, you add to potential pressure leak sources, and may upset wheel balance.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:03 AM, Scud said:

Agree on angle valve stems, but Cash1000 had one leak after the thread stripped. Get good quality valve stems.

I'm ambivalent on nitrogen. It is well established that eliminating water vapor and oxygen is helpful.

Water vapor gives greater tire pressure changes with heat; important to avoid in racing.

Oxygen causes oxidation: brittle rubber, rim rust, seal deterioration, and faster leak rate.

The mandatory requirement for nitrogen in commercial aviation is valid in that industry where tires are 800% overloaded (intermittantly) in comparison to cars. This does not mean nitrogen is needed for cars or bikes.

However consumer tests show a small but real reduction in pressure loss over several months for nitrogen inflated tires. This is good, but Dalton's law of partial pressures tells us that eventually other gasses will diffuse into a nitrogen inflated tire, so purging and re-inflating after several years could be needed.

My conclusion is you could choose to use nitrogen if it is free, but checking tire pressure is more important.    

• Like 3

Our local Firestone store here in Vancouver (on Commercial Dr) charges $5 Cdn ($4 USD) per tire to fill /purge/fill motorcycle tires. It used to cost a lot more but very reasonable these days.

I use it on my car/SUV and it stopped very slow weeping of a couple of the tires there as well. Have it in 7 out of my 11 vehicles (8 motos, 2 auto, one airplane). 

So far the ones I have filled have lasted 3 years (that is the oldest one I have filled) or until I replaced the tire without measurable loss. What I have been doing is if one of the vehicles starts losing pressure that needs attention more often than once in 6 months, I go get nitrogen in the tires.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 5:45 PM, Pressureangle said:

If it costs nothing, it hurts nothing. 

It was dealership gravy in the RV industry, and I got rather disenchanted with the unethical propaganda they used to sell it. They charged something like $25/tire 15 years ago. If it's free and convenient, I'd use it myself. There is no downside.

I think Costco has done it across the board in the USA. Self serve N2 stations. As I said, it does not matter to me if it is air or N2. I am concerned with pressure accuracy.