2 hours ago, p6x said:

wow! that bad...

What I find unacceptable is that the shops did not want to make an exception for a rider in need of help. I always thought that in case of emergency, people would help you. Or at least, this was my experience. But most of that was several decades ago; I suppose it is all different now.

You can never be 100% certain you will not need assistance along the way. You may be able to anticipate normal wear and tear, but in you cannot predict everything in advance.

I am going to verify with my insurance what they mean that I get a free tow to the nearest mechanic....

Yeah, that was my thinking, someone needs a freaking tire and no help.  Admittedly, I sort of anticipated the whole deal.   I wanted to use the tire up on this trip.  But I was considering staying another day or two when one the riders told me about the Honda shop in the next town.  I was just going to ride over there but he told me I should to call the Honda shop first.  After that I called the other two places.  Perhaps if I'd have shown up, they'd made an exception?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

Yeah, that was my thinking, someone needs a freaking tire and no help.  Admittedly, I sort of anticipated the whole deal.   I wanted to use the tire up on this trip.  But I was considering staying another day or two when one the riders told me about the Honda shop in the next town.  I was just going to ride over there but he told me I should to call the Honda shop first.  After that I called the other two places.  Perhaps if I'd have shown up, they'd made an exception?  

I believe showing up would have tipped the balance in your favor; it is obviously more difficult for them to turn you down when you are in their faces. It is always easier to be stringent when "protected". There is always the sympathetic component too. I mean these guys make a living out of those who like motorcycles, they should understand when it is time to forget about brands, and simply provide assistance.

I find that today, we make everything too "virtual", impersonal. I don't do that, but this is because I have time at my disposal. I don't phone the shop, I drop by. It is only 15 minutes, but I know that I will speak to the guy that works on my bike, and not the admin which does not really know what's the plan, and will possibly tell me something she made up to make me feel better.

In person is the best way. Although sometimes you may bump into someone who is not going to like you just because it is human nature; you can negotiate, and you know whoever you are speaking with is focused on the conversation, and not answering the phone mechanically while trying to solve the problem you just interrupted with your call, which induced him to get rid of you as fast as he could by just saying no!

P6, Perhaps you're right.  I was inclined to think that way and was headed to the Honda shop.  But these guys are busy and have work backed up for months.   The shop's policy from the first of the year was to work on Hondas exclusively.  :whistle: