Clip on differences

Grim

I have a 2003 Sport naked with low clip-ons. I keep seeing 'high' clip-ons on eBay which look like they are a couple inches high, but the fixing tab appears to have 3 small holes compared to my one larger bolt hole, so is there another variation of top clamp besides the Cafe and Ballabio styles?

What I have:

6OKGScv.png

What I've seen:

9wKy18H.png

It looks like these are designed to go under the top clamp, but could these be adapted into slightly higher clip-ons above the top clamp?  Why did they change the design?

The "riser" is from the early Sport. Those forks do not protrude above the top triple clamp like the later V11, and so mounted below. The three holes provide selection of position while still connecting the clip on to the triple clamp from below.

Perhaps it was changed to accommodate the fork change? Perhaps to address complaints and reports of vibration. I'm not sure "why" translates into Italian, at least not at Moto Guzzi . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, docc said:

The "riser" is from the early Sport. Those forks do not protrude above the top triple clamp like the later V11, and so mounted below. The three holes provide selection of position while still connecting the clip on to the triple clamp from below.

Perhaps it was changed to accommodate the fork change? Perhaps to address complaints and reports of vibration. I'm not sure "why" translates into Italian, at least not at Moto Guzzi . . .

Hah, thanks!  

Do you think they could be turned into 'risers' on a later sport?  Nobody tried?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grim said:

Hah, thanks!  

Do you think they could be turned into 'risers' on a later sport?  Nobody tried?

I don't recall anyone fitting these to a later V11 above the triple. From below, they are about the same height as the later "top mounts," but further forward. Assuming you have enough extension in the cables, lines, and wring they would make an interesting riser, albeit with a longer reach.

The rise would put the center of the grip 3 1/2"/ 90mm above the top triple tree.

comparing my 2 the early bars are about 1 inch higher and 1/2" further forward than the later ones. The fork bodies on the later bikes are about 1" longer to accommodate the bar clamp mounted above the tree.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1