Installed new battery, spins over but won’t start

Taxguy

2004 Le Mans. The fuel pump doesn’t prime like usual, bike spins over but doesn’t fire. I’ve checked all fuses and don’t know what to try next. Any ideas? Thanks.

I don't own a V11, but looking at the wiring diagram and assuming all the usual stupid shit has been checked, it's not the sidestand or kill switch as the starter is locked out AFAIK.

I'd start by swapping over the fuel pump relay and possibly the ECU relay with others to see if anything changes, I'd also listen to hear if I could hear the relays trying to pickup.

Check for voltage on fuse 2 (feeds the injection relay) on both sides. Also check voltage at fuse 1 (feeds the ECU relay)

If either of them are not picking or getting power then you got no spark and no fuel.

Just a first guess, but others who know more will chime in I'm sure

• Like 1

Fuses One and Two (from the front), Relay #5 (in the back), and that a ring terminal did not get left off the battery on either side (+/-)…….

• Like 1

I woud check the 4 connectors under fuse 1 and 2.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

I woud check the 4 connectors under fuse 1 and 2.

Cheers Tom.

Yes, indeed. Tom! :thumbsup:

(The fuse block simply pries up out of the rubber isolation mounts without having to remove the fasteners.)

These:

gallery_328_223_160743.jpeg

By far the most common no-start after a battery change is one of the several ring terminals getting left off.

Thanks for the replies, I took out the battery and reinstalled in just the same way. Then when I turned it on the fuel pump groaned and came back to life and it runs great. Italian gremlins I think.

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2021 at 8:45 AM, Taxguy said:

Thanks for the replies, I took out the battery and reinstalled in just the same way. Then when I turned it on the fuel pump groaned and came back to life and it runs great. Italian gremlins I think.

Or maybe, just maybe, you missed connecting one of the hot side battery wires. Like the one that powers the ECU through fuses F1 and 2.

Ciao

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Or maybe, just maybe, you missed connecting one of the hot side battery wires. Like the one that powers the ECU through fuses F1 and 2.

Ciao

Or on the grounding side. So many ring terminals, so little space.  So easy to drop one on a battery change.

Very happy the "revisit" yielded the desired outcome, @Taxguy :luigi:  :race:  :bier:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, docc said:

Or on the grounding side. So many ring terminals, so little space.  So easy to drop one on a battery change.

Very happy the "revisit" yielded the desired outcome, @Taxguy :luigi:  :race:  :bier:

Yep, it's a skill getting all those wires on the bolt including the battery tender wire and threaded onto the terminal. Imagine casting aspersions on Italian electrics!

Ciao 

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2021 at 5:45 PM, Taxguy said:

"Italian gremlins I think."

:thing:

19 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

"Imagine casting aspersions on Italian electrics!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can recommend the L-shaped battery terminal connectors to circumvent the cramped access to the standard configuration:

1713662535_KerR9xr1.jpg.98e81bf96a18e5e9ab830aedee551352[1].jpg

There is enough room where they don't rub on the seat pan in my scooter.  As far as source, can't find the original post, but I believe I got my set off of Fleabay.

• Like 1

I was at a gun show, and someone was selling "genuine copper commemorative coins" for something or other for like a dollar. I thought, "Hmmmm, those look just like some 90 degree battery connections for the Mighty Scura." Some sawing and bending required. :)

• Haha 1