Dead V11

innesa

Howdy y'all.

How big of a goose do I feel?

Was riding out of an alley which serves as a driveway to the apartments that I have recently moved to.

Had feet on pegs, which was a problem when I came to a stop, & the bike promptly fell on its right side - minor damages - broken indicator lens, & rocker cover, as well as a broken clutch lever. I know, right? That's the left side of the bike. Turns out that Guzzi clutch levers can be stomped on & cursed out due to the infinite false neutrals, however, when they encounter the mighty innesa calf muscle, it just simply snaps. WTAF?!

Anyway, these relatively minor issues have thrown a smokescreen whilst another more sinister issue came to light...

Bike dead.

Usually when I turn the bike on, there is a noise that emanates out from under the seat, that I've been led to believe is the priming of the fuel pump or something similar.

Ignition is in the on position - appropriate dashboard lights come on - however there is no underseat noise. I can hear something like a click (I call it a click, but it isn't a click) from the appropriate area when I turn the ignition on & then again when I turn it off. Fuses & the relays appear to be intact.

Managed to get gears into neutral (not a false one).

What am I missing, if anything?

I look forward to the input from the brains trust of V11 Guzzisti...

Discalimer I don't own a V11 so can only go by the wiring diagram

When you hit the starter does it turn? That would rule out the side stand switch, the kill switch and the clutch switch. It appears from the wiring diagram that the clutch needs to be pulled in before the starter will operate, which is a little odd

If everything fine there ensure voltage on fuses 1 & 2, both sides, these feed the ECU and Injection Relays. Without either of them working the bike is going nowhere. It might also be worthwhile checking fuse 8 as it operates the electric petcock

Pull all the relays inspect then reinsert, just to make sure none are damaged or have become dislodged in the tip over. Then swap over the Injection and ECU relay with another 2 on the bike, or better still spares if you have them.

I think the V11 is an In Tank pump, if all of that proves fruitless, I'd pull the pump and filter assembly from the tank, as something may have got dislodged in the fall and check it. With the pump assembly still removed but electrically connected I'd turn on the ignition, but just for a second to so to ascertain the pump turns. Don't run the pump for more than a second or so out the tank as it could damage it.

Real V11 owners will be along soon with real understanding of the model, my own knowledge is somewhat limited (I own models somewhat akin but not identical), and confirm or deny my steps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 on the Clutch Lock-out switch, or its wiring/nefarious bullet connectors having been affected by the tip-over . . .

• Thanks 1

So, there's this thang called Occam's Razor which is sometimes inaccurately paraphrased as "the simplest explanation is usually the best one."

Without further ado, is that in this particular chapter of Dead V11, fotoguzzi wins the Occam's Razor award for nominating the kill switch as the culprit. 

I would also like to nominate myself for eejit of the year award for not checking the kill switch until suggested.

I would like to apologise for wasting everybody's time, particularly that of Weegie (Bloody Hell, but those Magni's must be special machines!) for wearing his puir wee fingers to the nubs for typing his essay-like response.

And of course, docc, for his input into either my 2nd or 3rd post that he has responded to.

My thanks to all, along with that apology.

If you need me, I'll be over in the corner, self-flagellating for my stupidity for not checking the kill switch...

Ffs!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Your in the right place then..I think everyone has been nominated at one time or another !

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, innesa said:

Bloody Hell, but those Magni's must be special machines!

Just Guzzis in a dress  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Weegie said:

Not just any dress.                                                        PARTY dress!

ACtC-3eqE6wiAiOL4g2amRim9-2Wk7Y7KWRM5WVw

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Funny I had her out today, running well, she developed a misfire at one point but it cleared

Oil pressure in clear air 58-62psi although I was seeing 70 on ocassions.

Only problem with the engine is traffic and I hit the most horrific jams on the way home.

Oil pressure light then flickers at idle around 8psi pressure. It's due to the temp skyrocketing, was 130C when I checked it once back at the house.

Going to try installing a larger oil cooler in the Winter, but when on the open road it's a fantastic bike all round and that engine just loves to rev.

• Like 3

@innesa I am sure you already know, but the weak point on the levers is there to protect your fingers in case they would be wedged between the grip and the lever.

This is a safety feature.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2021 at 3:20 AM, p6x said:

@innesa I am sure you already know, but the weak point on the levers is there to protect your fingers in case they would be wedged between the grip and the lever.

This is a safety feature.

Hey there p6x. Now I feel like a double goose! Only after re-reading my post after receiving yours, I meant to say gear selection lever, not clutch lever! Sorry. Broke just 'cos my left calf knocked it as the bike was on it's way down! Wha?!

On 7/26/2021 at 3:43 AM, Weegie said:

Guzzis in their Sunday best, hey Weegie?

• Like 1

Don't want to pirate your tread but,

Wedge, Your Magni is pretty encapsulated (I guess would be the word) that's a lot of latent heat under her fairing, how much insulation do you have on the header pipes? I would hate to see that lovely paint start to blister.

Hi Kevin

I hope @innesa doesn't get mad at me replying and throwing this OFF TOPIC, but the issue is now sorted, so hope not.

The fairing is probably not as enclosing as it looks, it's totally open at the front and then there are the front vents to left and right, one can be seen in that picture. The fairing also sits off the engine casings by quite a way. Towards the rear though the bellypan is very close to crossover, I put some silver heat reflective padding in there, so far so good.

Getting back to the specific question that picture was taken when I first got the bike, the pipes now are ceramic coated on the inside and also have a black coating on the outer. I did that specifically to try to reduce radiated heat from the pipes impacting the fairing, of course it's a double edged blade as you prevent that heat escaping through the pipes from the heads, which is desirable. Guess its a case of dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. At the time I got the pipes coated I was not aware of just how hot my HiCam ran.

So far nothing has melted nor any of the inner paint on the fairing, shown signs of discolouration due to heat. That's sort of surprised me as I was dubious to how the fairing would stand up to the heat.

Just to increase the inherant unreliability I swapped the locations of the fuel filter and fuel pump, this was to install the oil cooler I currently have in place,. Long story but with the way the brackets are at the front its difficult to keep the pump at the front. This means the fuel pump is in between the cylinder Vee, so far its kept working, I guess the fuel moving through it must have stopped it cooking (so far)

My original plans were to keep this bike completely stock, but sod it come the winter I've got some plans for it, nothing drastic, but some changes. For instance I dislike the standard Bembos, too much lever movement and not much feel. I'll probably move to the ISRs at the front installed on the other bikes, 2 finger braking and very progressive.

John