V11 UK values

Steve S

I'm thinking about replacing my Ballabio with a new V85TT and wondering if people are actually paying the high asking prices for V11s in the UK

05 red Ballabio with 14k miles and loads of C/F upgrades and a new shock last week

IMG_2389.JPG

In the UK V11 prices seem to be in a trough. You might have seen my V11 Tenni on EBay last week. Started at £3500. Had lots if watchers, but not one person came to view. If you look at sold items, a couple have realised £3000. Have you sold a few V11s over the years? I suppose Guzzi have always been a bit of a niche interest. It strikes me as crazy that someone would prefer to sink 4-6k into a worn out 80s Suzuki GT380 or 500.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Paradiso your assessment of the Guzzi market is exact.

To me, the Guzzi have drawn interest from connoisseurs, more than those people who suddenly decide to purchase a retro looking motorcycle. Even when I was a young lad, riding about from race track to the other in Europe, Guzzis were rare.

Those who had them were "different".

They are not considered "hype" motorcycles by the vast majority of riders. Besides, they lack a bit of the exposure of the major brands. They are no longer in the racing group, not even in SBK. So when you quote you own a Moto Guzzi, you get a polite nod, and sometimes a few circumstantial questions, nothing more.

The V11 is not vintage enough to be sought after by the "non serious" purchasers. This may change.

@Steve S you may consider not replacing your Ballabio, but adding a V85TT to it?

• Like 1

Yes I saw your bike Paradiso, I’ve bought restored and sold 15 V11s over the last 10 years and they are never easy to sell, never many for sale in the uk but not many buyers either 

• Like 1

I’m looking at the moment and it’s very variable - some folks asking 8-9k for the limited models and some rusty neglected bikes still at 3k. 

I think the market in general is in a bit of a reconfiguration now post-lockdown, with supplies of new bikes starting to ease, and also as we’ve passed the mid-point of ‘the season’ - such as it is in the UK - some of the heat always goes out of the market.

• Like 1

The V85TT looks to be a great bike, but if want to hold that lovely Ballabio, you can probably find a lightly used Stelvio for quite a bit less than a new V85.

If I had to guess about future values (vs current ones) I would bet that the special edition bikes and the Green sports will command the highest future values. From my perspective that seems to be happening already. I see "wanted" adds for special editions and greenies, but nothing else.

Some years / models have known flaws that work agains the price. Such as the aluminum flywheel on Scura, Tenni, and Rosso Mandell - and the terrible 2002 engine paint.

Good luck with your sale... or your addition, depending on what you decide to do.

• Like 1

Paradiso

the supply of bikes has dried up as people are hanging on to them or trying to get high prices, I’ve bought tatty ones for £1500 and ohlins bikes for £6k, the highest price I’ve sold for is £6.5k, a nice cafe sport sold for £7k last week as the buyer called me for parts and he confirmed it 

your tenni is a fair price maybe the insurance history isn’t helping but that’s nonsense really, it just takes time due to so few buyers in the uk

Yes Steve. The Cat D might put some off, but it means nothing given the prices of new Guzzi parts. Even a tumble off the side stand could see a bike 'written off'. It's not the best cosmetically, but it's original and almost 20 years old. Under 15 000 miles too. I got stung with having to replace the original clutch and flywheel within a fortnight of getting it, and a subsequent wait for parts. I've got 3 bikes at the moment and generally insure 2 each year, and storage space is bit of an issue. I'll probably keep it. I enjoy riding it, but it's not a bike that's best suited to pottering around N. Yorkshire lanes. I remember the Cafe Sport you had. That looked spotless.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Steve, I haven’t sold a V11 recently, but I have bought two over the past 18 to 20 months, which may help. I’m currently maxed out with V11’s as I have 5 of them at the moment. I bought a Rosso Corsa in March 2020, and I do plan to sell my 04 Le Mans, but haven’t got around to selling it yet, so I am interested in learning more about the current pricing situation 

if it’s any help for you I paid £6K for a mint 2003 Rosso Corsa with 14k miles on 18 months ago. The previous owner was downsizing his collection, and had paid considerably more than that from a well known Guzzi main dealer around 18 months previously. The Ohlins bikes are rare and I was happy with my purchase at that price. I bought it from an ebay ad. A few months previously I purchased an early red framed 1999 Sport, near mint with only 4000 miles and much money spent by the previous owner, I paid £4.2K almost 2 years ago

Guzzi’s are always niche bikes, and I think the size of the potential market is relatively small, but may grow as these bikes approach classic status. I do try and keep an eye on prices, and I know a local main Kawasaki dealer sold an immaculate 1999 Greenie with fairly low miles in April for around £5.5K

What I would ask though, is why change a V11 for a V85? A few weeks ago I left my silver 1999 Sport at the local Guzzi dealers for a throttle body balance (I’m not great at doing that). Later that day I walked back to their workshop to pick the bike up, the dealer had just taken delivery of a new black V85 demonstrator, and I was looking this over as their mechanic rolled into their parking lot having road tested my V11 after setting the throttle bodies. He saw me looking at their new V85 and said, you don’t want one of those, your V11 is way more fun to ride, he then spent the next couple of minutes explaining why he thought I’d be disappointed with the V85 knowing I usually ride V11’s and a Griso 8V

I will book a test ride on a V85 just to see for myself, but I think you’ll miss the grunt of the V11, and as it’s a Ballabio it does have comfy bars rather than clip ons, which for me as I approach my 7th decade, are hard on my back after too few miles

just my thoughts ….

I have sent you a PM on ebay about your terrific carbon fiber belly pan

• Thanks 1