Riding under the scorching heat in the USA; Cooling vests anybody? out of the box advice?

p6x

With the current temperatures felt, I found out that my multitasking jacket does not cut it. I purchased it earlier this year, but even with the liner removed, it gets uncomfortable. Not that I am not used to extreme temperatures, on both ends. Being an older guy, I would rather avoid a heat stroke if I can.

Given that on a motorcycle, you need to remain focused on the road.

I would like to purchase a jacket which is not a compromise summer/winter. I would like something which is exclusively conceived for hot weather, and still carries the usual protections.

If anybody has any suggestion, I am listening. All the manufacturers have fancy names for Air flow, but I would rather follow advice from someone who wears one on a daily basis, not just a one time review.

My second point is about those so-called "cooling jackets". You soak them in water, prior to your ride, and they are supposed to help for the next five to 10 hours. Anybody tried? are they effective?

• Like 1

I've got a cooling vest, the kind you douse with water.  I've worn it under a mesh jacket and over a t-shirt.   Can't give it a positive and perhaps not a negative.  It seems a bit clammy and didn't breath, and seemed to match my skin temperature after a little while.  

I think it might be better to wear a mesh jacket and douse the t-shirt and leave cooling vest home.  I suppose I never gave the vest a real chance other than riding locally but with humidity, it didn't seem to help.  I'd almost forgotten I bought it until I saw it in the bottom of my rider's closet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is crude, dirt-biker behavior, but it works. Just wear a thin, moisture wicking t-shirt and a mesh jacket. Get a big CamelBack and fill it with ice and water. Leave your jacket open a bit at the front. Take huge gulps of water and spit them down the inside of your t-shirt (helps to have a modular helmet for this step).

If it's super hot, you can periodically take off you helmet and soak your hair with the ice water. Then you will find out how well your helmet vents work.

I also wear shorts under mesh pants. I tried a cooling vest several years ago, and I was not impressed. Maybe technology has improved?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You  guy's answers fit my belief. The so-called cooling jackets are supposed to work like an evaporator does. Since you need to wear it underneath a jacket, I am guessing the cooling effect gets lost.

I don't think there is anything new in that department. They have so many solutions for winter, but so far, nobody really came up with working coolant system.

It may change since we are heading more  towards extremes now.

A bottle of cold water poured over your neck, front and back every 1/2 hour...wearing moisture wicking materials.

A bandana around the neck also soaked in ice water every 1/2 hour

A skull cap also soaked in ice water that goes on inside your helmet, provides a huge cooling effect on the head, eliminating heat stroke possibilities

A camelback filled with ice as mentioned above, refilling very often and drinking.

Vented jackets above 90F work worse than unvented jackets....you're just frying from the blow dryer effect.

Drink, drink and drink more...as they say...if you're not peeing, you're dehydrated!  

Riding here in Texas is perfectly safe if you follow the above...but the heat stroke is real and can catch you...seen plenty of folks passed out under the shade of a tree for lack of hydration.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

A bottle of cold water poured over your neck, front and back every 1/2 hour...wearing moisture wicking materials.

A bandana around the neck also soaked in ice water every 1/2 hour

A skull cap also soaked in ice water that goes on inside your helmet, provides a huge cooling effect on the head, eliminating heat stroke possibilities

A camelback filled with ice as mentioned above, refilling very often and drinking.

Vented jackets above 90F work worse than unvented jackets....you're just frying from the blow dryer effect.

Drink, drink and drink more...as they say...if you're not peeing, you're dehydrated!  

Riding here in Texas is perfectly safe if you follow the above...but the heat stroke is real and can catch you...seen plenty of folks passed out under the shade of a tree for lack of hydration.

With the enlarging prostate, even if you are dehydrated, you still need to pee.... lol....

I also wear an airbag jacket underneath my Icon jacket, and that does not help... but safety first....

• Haha 1

I just bought some HeatOut / Cool-R undershorts and long sleeve shirt from Cycle Gear. The undershorts I have tried only with my mountain bike - excellent. The shirt I shall try this week, as it will be upper 80sF/31C

Any mesh jacket w/armor will be fine.  You have to find them used now, but the (Rex) Marsee mesh jacket is the coolest I have ever ridden in. Except for the shoulders, it is 100% mesh. About like riding with a long-sleeve T shirt.

Screen%20Shot%202021-07-26%20at%208.17.3

• Thanks 1

Absolutely! I am into used clothes too. Too much spoiling. But so far, the picking has been very limited. Not much of a choice for used motorcycle jackets with protections.

I found a used one on Ebay for $60, size 46. Is this corresponds to an XL? I am normally L, but since I wear my TechAir 5 underneath, I have to wear larger than my fit, to allow for deployment.

In terms of undergarments, I used to do Inline skating marathons, so I still own a lot of sweat dispensing technical stuff for the upper body. I use that underneath. It passes out the moisture, but when you wear something that prevents it from evaporating, it does not work that well.

I also have mesh over pants.  The last trip I took I only wore boxer underwear and didn't even add shorts or jeans.  Worked well and comfy.  At the dinner that night one of the fellow riders suggested going commando.  I'll pass on that but will skip jeans or Bermuda shorts on future hot days.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I also have mesh over pants.  The last trip I took I only wore boxer underwear and didn't even add shorts or jeans.  Worked well and comfy.  At the dinner that night one of the fellow riders suggested going commando.  I'll pass on that but will skip jeans or Bermuda shorts on future hot days.  

Yesterday, a lady on a scooter wearing shorts, and a bare mid-riff shirt cut right in front of me without looking. She had beautiful legs, it would have been a shame to ruin them. I wear these reinforced jeans with protections at the knees and hips, and they are extremely uncomfortable in the current weather. I have been obligated to wear PPE for my own good before, so I am soldiering on.

About going commando, as long as you are wearing pants over, why not.....

A couple years ago, I started from S. Florida on a 10k tour around the Country. After much consideration and forum study, I rode in temps from 99*F to 46*F with only my 2-piece Roadcrafter, long sleeved and legged Underarmor, and Thorlo boot socks. Boots are Gasolina perforated leather. I had one pair of jeans, 2 t-shirts, and a thin patagonia hoody. The key is the Underarmor; it transports the sweat from where it's still to where it's breezy, so you don't need to be totally 'in the wind' to cool adequately. The worst was day 1, 670 miles from S. Fla through Georgia to meet the South'n spine raid in early September. 95*+ and 90% humidity. I hadn't learned all the cooling secrets of the Roadcrafter yet, but still made it ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, p6x said:

Absolutely! I am into used clothes too. Too much spoiling. But so far, the picking has been very limited. Not much of a choice for used motorcycle jackets with protections.

I found a used one on Ebay for $60, size 46. Is this corresponds to an XL? I am normally L, but since I wear my TechAir 5 underneath, I have to wear larger than my fit, to allow for deployment.

In terms of undergarments, I used to do Inline skating marathons, so I still own a lot of sweat dispensing technical stuff for the upper body. I use that underneath. It passes out the moisture, but when you wear something that prevents it from evaporating, it does not work that well.

Rex Marsee was into style, but it is really difficult to have both style and airflow, so her tilted toward airflow. A mesh jacket, you want to be a little floppy. The air needs room to flow and with that jacket you can feel the air flow even at parking lot speeds. Might also be worth upgrading the jacket with CE level 2 armor, which I don't think was available when the jacket was made.

1 hour ago, Pressureangle said:

A couple years ago, I started from S. Florida on a 10k tour around the Country. After much consideration and forum study, I rode in temps from 99*F to 46*F with only my 2-piece Roadcrafter, long sleeved and legged Underarmor, and Thorlo boot socks. Boots are Gasolina perforated leather. I had one pair of jeans, 2 t-shirts, and a thin patagonia hoody. The key is the Underarmor; it transports the sweat from where it's still to where it's breezy, so you don't need to be totally 'in the wind' to cool adequately. The worst was day 1, 670 miles from S. Fla through Georgia to meet the South'n spine raid in early September. 95*+ and 90% humidity. I hadn't learned all the cooling secrets of the Roadcrafter yet, but still made it ok.

this is my longish ride uniform. zipping out of the 'stitch is about as hard as removing the helmet.

My AeroStich one-piece tried to kill me with heat exhaustion, coming too close to heat stroke, (which is life threatening. Learn how to spot the difference, y'all!) the year when we had a June South'n Spine Raid. That was when the South'n Spine Raid moved permanently to The Weekend After (US) Labor Day (second weekend in September).

I still travel in my 'Stich, but use an armored, mesh, one-piece suit made by Olympia for hi-temp duty. I do not see it available anymore, but prefer one-piece suits with armor.

(@Pressureangle, I thought your AeroStich to be a one-piece?)