Importing a motorcycle to the US

p6x

If you are seriously interested in a 'Special' Daytona I have a friend in the US with a Daytona RS. Like all US RS's it's an 'A' kit bike but in all honesty they are a much happier thing than the 'C' kitted bikes. You also get a variety of improvements with the RS package, broad sump, better pork chops. Anyway I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to sell it to the right parson at the right price. He only ended up with it because it's previous owner sold it to an Australian who only after he'd bought it found he couldn't import it here. So it was bought as a 'Mercy buy'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pete roper said:

If you are seriously interested in a 'Special' Daytona I have a friend in the US with a Daytona RS. Like all US RS's it's an 'A' kit bike but in all honesty they are a much happier thing than the 'C' kitted bikes. You also get a variety of improvements with the RS package, broad sump, better pork chops. Anyway I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to sell it to the right parson at the right price. He only ended up with it because it's previous owner sold it to an Australian who only after he'd bought it found he couldn't import it here. So it was bought as a 'Mercy buy'.

I would love to fall under the mercy of buying such a fine machine. 😂

That's a beauty but Pete and Lucky Phil have a point, if you start to rack up the miles, you may find yourself with an ornament.

Parts are getting scarcer.

I had a "cooking" Daytona and now have a C kit HiCam bike.

The cooking bike was a much better behaved and happier thing and the difference is about 6hp, which I'd be pushed to notice.

The build quality varied, mine overheats (BADLY) at even the site of a house, let alone a city.

They are more like race bikes in their temprement. By that I mean they run fine when in free air with plenty of revs, but don't expect the well mannered behaviour of a 2v/v engine, nor the longevity.

Like all HiCams they also have well known weak points to boot.

I'm not trying to put you off, on a run out they are glorious and enormous fun, but just saying they have real downsides too.

Just be prepared, for some grief as well as some fun

That bike looks absolutely MINT, I'm having a green cheese sandwich as I'm typing

• Haha 1

11838729-1897034190520955-76561546498424

This is my 97 RS which Pete has mentioned, it currently has the Euro fairing/headlight and a full Staintune exhaust system.  I changed the belts a couple of years ago but it still has the original oil pump which will have to be addressed at some point in time though it has low miles.  I know others have taken the gear route but I was just going to get the V11 series oil pump and a set of chains whenever I get around to doing this work. 

In terms of selling the bike, I'm a bit on the fence as I really like riding the bike though it kills my neck after about 150-200 miles. These bikes are more comfortable for someone who has some long arms and that is not me.  And to be honest I have no idea what one is currently worth.  This bike was originally owned by a collector who put no miles on the bike and it sat in a basement in Wisconsin until about 2003 when my friend David bought the bike. He only put maybe 3,000 miles on the bike and then I have put another 2,500 miles on the bike. It is fun to ride, and the engine is like no other Guzzi. 

• Like 9

Hi BALCKKAT-1      I"M interested in purchasing your DAYTONA RS if you would consider selling her. Please contact me at    larrychiappellone@gmail.com

30 minutes ago, red lion said:

Hi BALCKKAT-1      I"M interested in purchasing your DAYTONA RS if you would consider selling her. Please contact me at    larrychiappellone@gmail.com

15 minutes ago, red lion said:

Pete  I"M also interested in getting some information about your friends DAYTONA RS that you said might be for sale.

This is one and same bike, yes?

3 hours ago, red lion said:

Larry, I sent you PM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blackkat-1 said:

This is my 97 RS which Pete has mentioned, it currently has the Euro fairing/headlight and a full Staintune exhaust system.  I changed the belts a couple of years ago but it still has the original oil pump which will have to be addressed at some point in time though it has low miles.  I know others have taken the gear route but I was just going to get the V11 series oil pump and a set of chains whenever I get around to doing this work. 

In terms of selling the bike, I'm a bit on the fence as I really like riding the bike though it kills my neck after about 150-200 miles. These bikes are more comfortable for someone who has some long arms and that is not me.  And to be honest I have no idea what one is currently worth.  This bike was originally owned by a collector who put no miles on the bike and it sat in a basement in Wisconsin until about 2003 when my friend David bought the bike. He only put maybe 3,000 miles on the bike and then I have put another 2,500 miles on the bike. It is fun to ride, and the engine is like no other Guzzi. 

What a unicorn.

9 hours ago, blackkat-1 said:

Stunning....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, red lion said:

Your last name is from Italian origin...

Let us know if you end up purchasing it...

On 9/4/2021 at 5:30 PM, Dave Swanson said:

This Daytona brochure is probably as close I will get to owning one of these beautiful beasts. 

IMG-9522.jpg

IMG-9521.jpg

IMG-9520.jpg

I cry those same bitter tears. A Guzzi Daytona (monoposto), bevel (round tail section) Ducati 900SS, MHE900, Vincent Black Shadow...Glorious motorcycles I will probably never get to ride...much less actually own.

On the bright side: I hear all of these machines are a nightmare to live with. Parts are unobtanium for most of these. I'd be terrified to ride or start them.

Like being married to a "10" who refuses to be touched or accept any affection. What a hell that must be!