The notorious snake in paradise

Slivsgaard

First of all , let me introduce myseself.

Name is Claus some 50 years of age with a 25 year long passion for MG and motorcycles in general. 2 weeks ago i had the good luck of getting my greasy fingers on a Nero Corsa with 28000 km clocked. I've been dreaming about owning one since 1999 when i had my first encounter with one in Mandello. It's in a excellent condition and has been taken good care of. Riding it is a real pleasure and absolutely fulfills my dreams. I had a few quircks all fixable with a good tune up, and searching through the forum helped me along. So far valves adjustet,throttle bodies balanced, TPS set to 157mV. air bypass adjustment 3/4 of a turn out. It all helped on the quircks but still had a pinging noise when cold starting. I ordered the cables for Guzzidiag to do the CO reset and they are on the way.

Fast forward to the snake in paradise....i've worked on many different bikes over the years and always avoided using POWER COMMANDERS....and there i found one hiding in the side panel ....and it's active. So you guys what's my best move...do i call the National bomb squad or  leave it in place. Was out for a good run this morning and the bike ran absolutely like a dream. i've got a trip planned in the alps/dolomites in 2 weeks and would hate to have it spoiled if removing the PClll and getting the stock ecu to play ball ends in grief and sleepless nights. Been down that road with a V10 Centauro years ago with the MYECU and endless reprogramming.

Hit me......

Oh buy the way..... i dumped a bunch of pictures in a folde on my profile showing the TITAN reace ECU and general state of the bike...

• Like 4

Congratulations on the bike, I checked out your album, and it's a beauty. If it's running "like a dream", leave it alone till after your trip. Just enjoy it for a while, then fuss with the tuning some more when you have plenty of time.

The Titanium Kit Racing ECU has a good map already, but that map can be overwritten and you can remove the Power Commander if you want to.

Send pics from the alps.

• Thanks 1

If the bike was running good, I would leave it alone.  You could only make it worse, not better.  My Greenie has a PC and it runs well.  There's nothing inherently wrong with a PC, particularly when compensating for too lean factory settings that cause uneven throttle response.  The problem is when the PC isn't programmed correctly.  (I won't make comment regarding emissions.) 

Most of these bikes are old enough that a PC was the only way to get them to run right.  Once they're running right, what is the point to start over?

Absolutely stunning black beauty!

Do report once you got your CO reset using Guzzidiag. Although the Danish weather is certainly no match for the stuffy Texan one, it is always interesting to get feed-back.

Beautiful bike and a nice Ford too! My Tenni spent a few years in the care of a friend who had a dealer installed performance crossover, a BMC air filter, and a PC3 added. They dyno tuned it and it runs like a dream since the 8 years I've had her back home. I've swapped (similar) crossovers, hi flow mufflers, and replaced the stock intake cover and have not had a need to correct any tuning to date.

I wouldn't have chosen the PC3 but it's done and she's a happy bike.

9 hours ago, Slivsgaard said:

Name is Claus some 50 years of age with a 25 year long passion for MG and motorcycles in general. 2 weeks ago i had the good luck of getting my greasy fingers on a Nero Corsa with 28000 km clocked. I've been dreaming about owning one since 1999 when i had my first encounter with one in Mandello. It's in a excellent condition and has been taken good care of. Riding it is a real pleasure and absolutely fulfills my dreams. I had a few quircks all fixable with a good tune up, and searching through the forum helped me along. So far valves adjustet,throttle bodies balanced, TPS set to 157mV. air bypass adjustment 3/4 of a turn out. It all helped on the quircks but still had a pinging noise when cold starting. I ordered the cables for Guzzidiag to do the CO reset and they are on the way.

Fast forward to the snake in paradise....i've worked on many different bikes over the years and always avoided using POWER COMMANDERS....and there i found one hiding in the side panel ....and it's active. So you guys what's my best move...do i call the National bomb squad or  leave it in place. Was out for a good run this morning and the bike ran absolutely like a dream. i've got a trip planned in the alps/dolomites in 2 weeks and would hate to have it spoiled if removing the PClll and getting the stock ecu to play ball ends in grief and sleepless nights. Been down that road with a V10 Centauro years ago with the MYECU and endless reprogramming.

Hit me......

Oh buy the way..... i dumped a bunch of pictures in a folde on my profile showing the TITAN reace ECU and general state of the bike...

Very nice bike. I can pretty much guarantee you the noise you're hearing on cold start won't be actual pinging. Probably the time when that's least likely to happen.

Ciao 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

my first v11 had the titanium kit racing ECU with the PC.  it ran beautifully.  My current one is bone stock.  also runs beautifully (well, it recently had some issues.. but not with the ECU)... go figure.  it was some years apart between the two but I can't tell any difference. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 8:14 AM, Slivsgaard said:

Hit me......

@Slivsgaard (Claus!) :thumbsup:    It is just the beginning . . .

small.IMG_0284.JPG.fd846157a19b486aae682

• Like 4

Hi guys 

thank you for your time. I met up with my friend who has a dyno and him being a world class tuner ,we made plans for removal of the PC lll. At the moment I am waiting for the cables from Lonelec so communication can be established to the titan ecu and surgery will commence. I will try to have before and after charts done for reference, And keep you in the loop ( pun intended). It still has an occasional hiccup around 2500-2800 rpm… but it’s manageable . I’m going on my planned trip next week….3500 km in 7 days with a lot of carving in the alps/Dolomites and highway transport to and from. Afterwards we will have a go at tuning on the dyno, as we were unable to find time before. Looking forward to sharing the results with all of you. 

br. Claus 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slivsgaard said:

Hi guys 

thank you for your time. I met up with my friend who has a dyno and him being a world class tuner ,we made plans for removal of the PC lll. At the moment I am waiting for the cables from Lonelec so communication can be established to the titan ecu and surgery will commence. I will try to have before and after charts done for reference, And keep you in the loop ( pun intended). It still has an occasional hiccup around 2500-2800 rpm… but it’s manageable . I’m going on my planned trip next week….3500 km in 7 days with a lot of carving in the alps/Dolomites and highway transport to and from. Afterwards we will have a go at tuning on the dyno, as we were unable to find time before. Looking forward to sharing the results with all of you. 

br. Claus 

All those Guzzis and a 1964 Galaxie as well! 390, 406 or 427 perhaps? I thought the Swedes had bought all of those.

• Haha 1