How to read the TPS

red lion

Here's my opinion, feel free to disregard it.

If you're getting 40mpg, your 'driving' mixture is quite-good-to-lean. If your plugs are black, it's rich at idle or isn't ridden long enough when warm to clean them.

Mine had the dreaded '2800/3200 rpm stutter' and intermittent idle stall until I replaced the cam chain with a gearset- then these things, completely unexpectedly, disappeared. At the very least, be certain your cam chain is adjusted properly. The stock adjuster must be attended manually. For my time invested, I'd at minimum replace the stock tensioner with a Valtec, or adjust the stock one properly while awaiting a set of Caruso cam gears. 

Edit; got my bikes mixed up. The '97 has a spring-type tensioner, but it's woefully weak and I believe allows enough timing variation to confuse the ECU at idle and in the ~3k rpm range.

• Thanks 1

Please do yourself a favor and get the TPS adjustment cable to make this procedure much easier . You will not regret it and you will get a perfect reading . I got some ends (they look just like the banana plug ends on Fluke leads) and soldered them to the cable ends . It looks professional and gives a perfect connection . 

There is still a Mom n Pop store ( Hughes Electronics) in Paducah that sell all the goodies and have the stuff in stock ! Also , you are talkng to counter people that know more than you do . A rare trait nowadays !

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Please do yourself a favor and get the TPS adjustment cable to make this procedure much easier . You will not regret it and you will get a perfect reading . I got some ends (they look just like the banana plug ends on Fluke leads) and soldered them to the cable ends . It looks professional and gives a perfect connection . 

There is still a Mom n Pop store ( Hughes Electronics) in Paducah that sell all the goodies and have the stuff in stock ! Also , you are talkng to counter people that know more than you do . A rare trait nowadays !

http://www.casperselectronics.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=853&search=109172

• Like 2

Thanks all…indeed I do have the Casper’s cable, no way I was going to try and splice in or poke around with pointy inserts to the other cables…and I’ve had the cable sitting on my bench for a while…many thanks for the clarifications…I now understand the physical adjustments needed to tackle this part of the tune up.  

Thanks again for the collective wisdom here…what I’m now looking forward to is seeing what the reading is at…given the bike runs very well, has no stumbles, gets 40 mpg easily, plugs were nicely colored but also have fresh ones in along with all of the other work done recently…so maybe I’m lucky and the TPS is close to the required 157 mv already….we’ll see!

• Like 1