How do you pack for travel?

p6x

Did you watch the movie "The accidental Tourist" with William Hurt? in this movie, he tells that packing is an art that comes from experience, and this is where "less is invariably more" came from, when it comes to packing for travel.

When I traveled with my motorbike, the 70's, I had a tank bag, and carried another bag on the back end of my bike, where a passenger would have sat. Most of my travel was week-ends to go to the races around Europe. In these days, I carried a two spots tent.

As I am exhausting the Tour du Texas stops around me, I am going to need to overnight somewhere, and bundle stops together.

I only want to carry the strict necessary, and go with only what can fit in the small bag at the back of my bike (see the video herewith). I think I would only spend maximum two nights, so I can get by with nothing but the indispensable. Clothing, my riding gear will be on me, socks and shorts won't take much space, jerseys neither.

What will take the most space are the compulsory accessories, mainly the stuff to charge all these batteries. Because they are all different; AirBag, Phone, Camera, Video Camera, Helmet Bluetooth. The Airbag, Camera, Video Camera all have dedicated chargers with their own cords. The Phone has a lightning connector; the Helmet audio, a micro USB port.

I am not considering my phone to take pictures or make videos.

Anything I may need on the road, I would buy.

What do you guys pack on short trips? what do you favor to carry the stuff? any of you carry a back pack while riding?

• Like 2

For charging, I carry a solar-powered battery with 2 USB charging ports. I can charge 2 things in the tank bag, backpack, or overnight. I charge it fully in advance of the trip, and I can set it in the sun to top it off. Then I don't have to carry all the other charging stuff for the accessories - just the cables. 

I like using a backpack, and for long trips, I take the Klim one that has a 3L water bladder. 

I'm not clear if you are intending to camp or use hotels. That would make a big difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The business with different chargers is a PITA so the way I deal with it is I take my LiFe starter pack and it's charger and as it has a couple of USB ports it can charge crap up on the run and then I can charge it up again at night, (I don't camp any more except in extremis.).

My Mana has a 12V socket in the 'Helmet Compartment' where the tank would be on a conventional bike which is handy. The Griso has nothing, probably like the LeMans. Before I do my next 'Big' trip I'll probably put a double USB thingy on the bars somewhere but I really don't like having too much clutter on the bars. Perhaps I could hide it under one of the 'Wings'?

• Like 1

Given that capacious tail bag, perhaps this is best use of the space? :D

green-card.jpg

Bill

On 7/30/2021 at 4:50 AM, Bill Hagan said:

Given that capacious tail bag, perhaps this is best use of the space? :D

green-card.jpg

Bill

You are actually very close to my life's philosophy. Just take your AMEX with you, and you are set.

Unfortunately, the AMEX cars is mostly useful in the USA. In Europe, not many stores take it. You are better off with a VISA or a Mastercard.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 3:16 AM, Lucky Phil said:

My business class seat has a USB port in the armrest :)

Ciao  

Many hotels have USB outlets too nowadays, but you never know in advance.

On 7/30/2021 at 1:28 AM, pete roper said:

The business with different chargers is a PITA so the way I deal with it is I take my LiFe starter pack and it's charger and as it has a couple of USB ports it can charge crap up on the run and then I can charge it up again at night, (I don't camp any more except in extremis.).

My Mana has a 12V socket in the 'Helmet Compartment' where the tank would be on a conventional bike which is handy. The Griso has nothing, probably like the LeMans. Before I do my next 'Big' trip I'll probably put a double USB thingy on the bars somewhere but I really don't like having too much clutter on the bars. Perhaps I could hide it under one of the 'Wings'?

I usually carry an inverter on long trips (car trips I mean). So I can plug in higher amps chargers during the trip.

The camera and video camera are luxury. I don't really need to ride with them, but I like to take nice photos, and I don't like doing it with cell phones. Those do not have USB ports. The camera has a battery that you take out, so I carry two. The video camera also has an external battery that requires a different charger.

The Alpinestars Airbag has is proprietary connection and charger. They did not need to do that. They could have had a USB-C port. A bit like Apple that insists with Lightning ports on their phones.

I should manage anyway.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:01 PM, Scud said:

For charging, I carry a solar-powered battery with 2 USB charging ports. I can charge 2 things in the tank bag, backpack, or overnight. I charge it fully in advance of the trip, and I can set it in the sun to top it off. Then I don't have to carry all the other charging stuff for the accessories - just the cables. 

I like using a backpack, and for long trips, I take the Klim one that has a 3L water bladder. 

I'm not clear if you are intending to camp or use hotels. That would make a big difference.

Hotels exclusively.

As long as the trips are short, I should be ok. Its mainly about off riding time. The pants are warm, and my riding shoes are not very comfy to dance the two steps with the local cowgirls.

• Haha 1