It occurred to me today...

7 hours ago, Paradiso said:

They were JIS fasteners rather than Philips. What you needed was a JIS screwdriver and all would have been well.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

This got me thinking a bit more....

We are in the 70's, the Japanese bikes are suddenly flooding the European traditional market.

I am a Japanese designer and all the fasteners on the engines are cruciforms JIS which as we now know look like any other cruciform but cam out when the proper screw driver is not used.

What were the chances of finding a JIS compliant screw driver in Europe? the hex socket standard was the same in both worlds. It would have been a better choice.

8 minutes ago, p6x said:

We are in the 70's, the Japanese bikes are suddenly flooding the European traditional market.

I am a Japanese designer and all the fasteners on the engines are cruciforms JIS which as we now know look like any other cruciform but cam out when the proper screw driver is not used.

What were the chances of finding a JIS compliant screw driver in Europe? the hex socket standard was the same in both worlds. It would have been a better choice.

They are still available but expensive and not commonly carried by tooling outlets.

Ciao

• Like 1

My Le Mans is mainly fastened by hex socket screws black, so I supposed they were initially protected by phosphatation, but they have now started to rust.

17 hours ago, p6x said:

I always thought a screwdriver was a screwdriver until I came to a Guzzi board.   Then I found perhaps 20,000 posts explaining the various sizes and geometries of different screwdrivers.  

Honestly, I don't know how I was able to survive all these years in gross ignorance.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, p6x said:

My Le Mans is mainly fastened by hex socket screws black, so I supposed they were initially protected by phosphatation, but they have now started to rust.

You can touch up those black fasteners with this instant gun blue formula:

https://www.amazon.com/Brownell-Formula-Instant-Gun-Blue/dp/B00IYZBWC8

[I learned this nifty technique from @Lucky Phil :thumbsup: ]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I always thought a screwdriver was a screwdriver until I came to a Guzzi board.   Then I found perhaps 20,000 posts explaining the various sizes and geometries of different screwdrivers.  

Honestly, I don't know how I was able to survive all these years in gross ignorance.  

Will I need mics to use a Flat Screwdriver too?