2000 v11 moto guzzi rear brake caliper rebuild kit

thumper

I managed to get something from Brembo, but I had to log myself from within Italy to get to the motorcycle configurator;

And as you can see, for your bike, they only sell the rotors. No brake pads, no caliper....

Brembo Motorcycle Brakes Configurator

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 6:41 PM, p6x said:

I am guessing a call to Brembo Italy is in order. The US representation of some of the foreign companies here seem to be purely PR work.

I have been in touch with Alpinestars in California for my TechAir 5 airbag. Phone calls, and the people I spoke to always need to get in touch with someone else in Italy.

But when it comes to vintage parts, UK and NL are king.

Now that you say this---I've also found this to be true! No idea why that is. When I need some obscure NLA part, it almost always comes from the UK, Netherlands, or rarely, Italy. I'm grateful someone has been stockpiling these goodies for us!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VtwinStorm said:

Now that you say this---I've also found this to be true! No idea why that is. When I need some obscure NLA part, it almost always comes from the UK, Netherlands, or rarely, Italy. I'm grateful someone has been stockpiling these goodies for us!

It is an interesting point that I have been wondering about myself for years. I used to have an interest in old French cars, and most of my searches for vintage cars in daily use conditions led me to The Netherlands. 

I have a theory. When I worked there, first time in 1982, everywhere I went to, people spoke English. Even the Taxi drivers. It was explained to me, that movies shown on Dutch TV where never dubbed, unlike in most of the other European countries.

And back in 1982, you could purchase a Tax Free car from The Netherlands, including a temporary Dutch registration valid for six months. Then you would have to pay the import duty in your own country, but the VAT would be calculated on a used car value, not a new car. As long as I remember, The Netherlands always had those kind of deals.

I think they saw the value of being European even before the European Union was formed. It must have been a line of business they saw as profitable.

If you were to look for an old Triumph, Jaguar, Aston Martin, 2CV Citroën, Alpha Romeo, what not, lots of the searches would end up there, in NL.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, p6x said:

It is an interesting point that I have been wondering about myself for years. I used to have an interest in old French cars, and most of my searches for vintage cars in dayly use conditions led me to The Netherlands. 

I have a theory. When I worked there, first time in 1982, everywhere I went to, people spoke English. Even the Taxi drivers. It was explained to me, that movies shown on Dutch TV where never dubbed, unlike in most of the other European countries.

And back in 1982, you could purchase a Tax Free car from The Netherlands, including a temporary Dutch registration valid for six months. Then you would have to pay the import duty in your own country, but the VAT would be calculated on a used car value, not a new car. As long as I remember, The Netherlands always had those kind of deals.

I think they saw the value of being European even before the European Union was formed. It must have been a line of business they saw as profitable.

If you were to look for an old Triumph, Jaguar, Aston Martin, 2CV Citroën, Alpha Romeo, what not, lots of the searches would end up there, in NL.

Tried and gave up looking for a clean Fiat X 1/9 when 90% of the nice ones were...wait for it...in the Netherlands. I said "screw this!", now I'm looking for a V11 instead. At least I can locate one of those stateside!

I would not have been able to complete the recent rebuild of my 1990 Honda GB500 Tourist Trophy without CMS Cycle Parts, The Netherlands.

When people see my funky, (medium old) Moto Guzzi Sport, it is common to hear, "Where is your dealer?"

I've become fond of replying, "Some interesting fellow named Veldhorst in The Netherlands" . . . :mg:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, docc said:

I would not have been able to complete the recent rebuild of my 1990 Honda GB500 Tourist Trophy without CMS Cycle Parts, The Netherlands.

When people see my funky, (medium old) Moto Guzzi Sport, it is common to hear, "Where is your dealer?"

I've become fond of replying, "Some interesting fellow named Veldhorst in The Netherlands" . . . :mg:

You know docc I've been having a conversation on another forum about such matters and the folly of the " as an owner I shouldn't have to get involved in any way shape or form with any of the technical matters concerning my bike" It's the manufacturers responsibility to take care of that and warranty. Well good luck with that I say. You may be very lucky but when it hits the fan at some point you'll pay the price of not at least having some reasonable familiarity with your bike or car in the technical sense.

People actually think in the car and motorcycle world that skilled competent dealership mechanics are everywhere and it's just a matter of a quick phone call and a visit and your problems will be rectified. What I like about the people here is everyone takes it as a fact of ownership that you need to be technically aware of your machine. When I was young paying someone to work on your machinery wasn't really an option, who could afford that, so you developed skills and knowledge. Like pre ICE days when you relied on a horse to earn your living or for transport, most people couldn't afford a Vet so they learned how to care and husband the animal. Times it seems have sent people down a blind alley in some respects.

Ciao

• Like 7

13 hours ago, VtwinStorm said:

Tried and gave up looking for a clean Fiat X 1/9 when 90% of the nice ones were...wait for it...in the Netherlands. I said "screw this!", now I'm looking for a V11 instead. At least I can locate one of those stateside!

A very sexy car indeed. A friend of mine had one, and the main issue was it was only a two seats car. That interfered with the friendship and the social agenda.

Since I came to H'town, I dreamed of acquiring a Citroën Mehari, which would really be the coolest thing to own next to a vintage Bronco? or maybe not; nevertheless, guess where you can locate Citroën Mehari in good condition? one of the coolest car you can get, and use every day. Look at the add, here in Texas, it could pass for a F150.... the orange color would stand out, and an air cooled 2 cylinder engine may sound a bit hollow....

4 minutes ago, p6x said:

A very sexy car indeed. A friend of mine had one, and the main issue was it was only a two seats car. That interfered with the friendship and the social agenda.

Since I came to H'town, I dreamed of acquiring a Citroën Mehari, which would really be the coolest thing to own next to a vintage Bronco? or maybe not; nevertheless, guess where you can locate Citroën Mehari in good condition? one of the coolest car you can get, and use every day. Look at the add, here in Texas, it could pass for a F150.... the orange color would stand out, and an air cooled 2 cylinder engine may sound a bit hollow....

I more appreciate Renault (R5 Turbo, Alpine A110, especially), Matra Djet, if we are talking French cars...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VtwinStorm said:

I more appreciate Renault (R5 Turbo, Alpine A110, especially), Matra Djet, if we are talking French cars...

I like those too....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, p6x said:

I like those too....

I prefer Italian and British cars...kind of like my motorcycles. Not a lot of French motorcycle companies (still) around. I always wondered why that was. Germany, Italy, USA, Japan (of course), even Korea and Austria have motorcycles that are sold in numbers worthy of note. The French? Not so much. A lot of great engineers in France, makes me wonder why.

That would be a hoot. Looks a bit like a “vw thing”.
I think mentioned this before at some point, but living in France several decades ago and pretty much broke, I saw a 2CV for sale and went to look at it. Hey, James Bond drove one….
I was fairly mechanically competent at that age, but partly from youthful haste and partly due to a preformed assumption of what I should see under the hood, I walked away from the (super cheap) deal because I told my friend “no wonder it’s so cheap…. No motor, just that strangely mounted transmission”. Of course had I looked even slightly closer, I’d have seen the spark plugs on that “strange transmission”.
Later that year I had friends there with a 2CV who would fill the car with 3 people plus skis and gear and somehow make it up into the mountains (Les deux alpes), with that 2 cylinder motor chugging away. Albeit damn slowly.
Back in Oregon years later I see one and find out there’s an owners club here, and that a nice one would cost a pretty penny, many thousands of dollars. I’m quite sure the one I looked at in France (many years ago, and in rough shape) was $200 US.
That said, I’ll stick with Italian (headaches and all). The French did a lot of unique stuff, but little of it appeals to my (biased) eye other than as an oddity.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, VtwinStorm said:

I prefer Italian and British cars...kind of like my motorcycles. Not a lot of French motorcycle companies (still) around. I always wondered why that was. Germany, Italy, USA, Japan (of course), even Korea and Austria have motorcycles that are sold in numbers worthy of note. The French? Not so much. A lot of great engineers in France, makes me wonder why.

Did you know that the first "working" motorcycle (allegedly) was patented by a French engineer? Louis-Guillaume Perreaux

I have ridden on a Terrot motorcycle, but Peugeot purchased the company and killed the line later on. Unfortunately. I think the main issue was the lack of engines development in France. Excepted for Peugeot.

Still, the French created some funny two wheels, such as the Velosolex a.k.a. Solex. Just as well known as the Citroën 2CV or DS.

There were also an era where the Peugeot 205 GTI ruled in Europe too.

But here in the USA, the only somewhat notorious French car used to be a Peugeot 403 convertible driven by Inspector Columbo.

If you were interested, this one is a bargain at 83,000 EUR

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2021 at 8:10 AM, VtwinStorm said:

Litigation. You live in the land of Litigation. This is why Brembo don't make seal kits for their callipers or master cylinders anymore, fears that they will be installed wrongly by amateurs and they Brembo will be dragged into a court battle. I'd imagine Brembo USA and or their distributors would be of the same mind for some of the older stuff. All your likely to get is NOS. 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Litigation. You live in the land of Litigation. This is why Brembo don't make seal kits for their callipers or master cylinders anymore, fears that they will be installed wrongly by amateurs and they Brembo will be dragged into a court battle. I'd imagine Brembo USA and or their distributors would be of the same mind for some of the older stuff. All your likely to get it NOS. 

Ciao

Probably spot-on. Can always buy the entire caliper, though.

I have another factor that may also be partially to blame: planned obsolescence. I'm reading a book now called "The Waste Makers" by Vance Packard. Interesting things...Drive consumption and control the serviceability, parts supply at all costs...to force the consumer to buy another new item out of frustration.

They stop making components for a particular motorcycle, the consumer then becomes a new customer again, with or without their consent.

Makes you think.

• Like 1