2000 v11 moto guzzi rear brake caliper rebuild kit

thumper

9 minutes ago, VtwinStorm said:

Probably spot-on. Can always buy the entire caliper, though.

I have another factor that may also be partially to blame: planned obsolescence. I'm reading a book now called "The Waste Makers" by Vance Packard. Interesting things...Drive consumption and control the serviceability, parts supply at all costs...to force the consumer to buy another new item out of frustration.

They stop making components for a particular motorcycle, the consumer then becomes a new customer again, with or without their consent.

Makes you think.

Yep manipulation. You see from next year in Europe all new cars to be fitted with mandatory speed limiters and data loggers!  Motorcycles, not yet but are in line as well. Combine that with forced phasing out of ICE vehicles and the end is nigh for car and bike enthusiasts. 

Ciao

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yep manipulation. You see from next year in Europe all new cars to be fitted with mandatory speed limiters and data loggers!  Motorcycles, not yet but are in line as well. Combine that with forced phasing out of ICE vehicles and the end is nigh for car and bike enthusiasts. 

Ciao

I don't think it is that close, but we are edging into that territory, yes.

I think in 50+ years, ICE vehicles will only be owned and operated by the ultra rich and politically-connected types. 

I would also argue another possibility: Regular not-uber-wealthy enthusiasts, like you and I, find hacks/workarounds.

But yes, seems TPTB want to take the fun and autonomy out of the human experience.

Gotta enjoy our machines and lives while fate allows us.

/end rant/

36 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ciao

Agreed. I saw that article last week. Data loggers have been in cars and trucks here for years. My 2002 GMC pickup truck had info available to provide anyone monitoring my gps (through OnStar) to my location and speed at anytime, anywhere. Pass a law and flip a switch and that system could automatically send out a speeding ticket. I'd have been sent 5 or 10 a day.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ciao

There will always be room for "collector" vehicles in the gloomy future; hopefully. In Europe those are 30 years old minimum.

But yes, from 2022, all vehicles that are going to be submitted for certification within the EU will have to have a speed limiter of some sorts. No technology has been imposed, and a simple over speed sound signal will be acceptable.

And all the new cars to be sold from 2024 will need to be equipped with speed limiters.

Nothing is said about older vehicles upgrading, but since cities are slowly but surely restricting access to "polluting" cars....

But this is not going to happen in the USA any time soon.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 9:18 AM, VtwinStorm said:

I prefer Italian and British cars...kind of like my motorcycles. Not a lot of French motorcycle companies (still) around. I always wondered why that was. Germany, Italy, USA, Japan (of course), even Korea and Austria have motorcycles that are sold in numbers worthy of note. The French? Not so much. A lot of great engineers in France, makes me wonder why.

Up to the 60's France was actually quite prolific in the manufacturing of motorcycles. A lot of different brands, some only making frames and purchasing engines.

But since you asked, I want to bring back one very prestigious company:

Gnome et Rhone. They started as an aircraft engine manufacturer, and was very successful. So successful that German Luftwaffe were one of their customer, direct or using German companies to manufacture the engine under license.

After the war, Gnome et Rhone ventured into manufacturing motorcycles. Now, does that ring any bell?

However, unlike BMW, Gnome et Rhone got nationalized by the French government. They became SNECMA, and then Safran.

They still make rocket and aircraft engines, associated with G.E. to produce CFM Tubofans.

If they had continued making motorcycles, who knows what would have happened....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, p6x said:

Up to the 60's France was actually quite prolific in the manufacturing of motorcycles. A lot of different brands, some only making frames and purchasing engines.

But since you asked, I want to bring back one very prestigious company:

Gnome et Rhone. They started as an aircraft engine manufacturer, and was very successful. So successful that German Luftwaffe were one of their customer, direct or using German companies to manufacture the engine under license.

After the war, Gnome et Rhone ventured into manufacturing motorcycles. Now, does that ring any bell?

However, unlike BMW, Gnome et Rhone got nationalized by the French government. They became SNECMA, and then Safran.

They still make rocket and aircraft engines, associated with G.E. to produce CFM Tubofans.

If they had continued making motorcycles, who knows what would have happened....

A shame they didn't stick with it. After all, don't our French friends often say "viva le difference!"?

I heard of Pugeot or Voxan...that's it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VtwinStorm said:

A shame they didn't stick with it. After all, don't our French friends often say "viva le difference!"?

I heard of Pugeot or Voxan...that's it.

Speaking of Peugeot, they have started to make motorcycles again. But they did not really push outside of the boundaries; they are presenting two "new" models: 125cc and 300cc.

Merely trying to tap certain types of motorcycle's driver licensees, car drivers who get motorcycles with limited HP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, p6x said:

Speaking of Peugeot, they have started to make motorcycles again. But they did not really push outside of the boundaries; they are presenting two "new" models: 125cc and 300cc.

Merely trying to tap certain types of motorcycle's driver licensees, car drivers who get motorcycles with limited HP.

I mean look where Honda and Ducati started...and look at them now. You never know!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 7:45 PM, KINDOY2 said:

I got a new one for my Rosso Corsa from AF1 racing a few months ago...Brembo Gold  Rear....GU30653001.. ( it says front on their site  when you enter it but its the rear..and that is the correct number for a rear)    It was only $104.00  dollars complete with new Brembo pads..and they usually have it in their USA warehouse..took about a week.

That's a great deal for a complete new rear caliper! 

• 5 months later...
On 8/1/2021 at 6:23 PM, docc said:

Would you believe - just joined this forum as I have been searching hi and lo for a caliper rebuild kit - searched specifically on ebay with no joy - your link has worked for me.  Am UK based which helps ...

• Like 5