Ø10mm dept gauge for acurate shim decision of the timing sensor

Rolf Halvorsen

I am proud to present these new dept gauges - produced by our Norwegian member Tom Christiansen.

He and me has discussed the best method of deciding which shim thickness should be used for our timing sensor. As the picture shows - I have found a 3/8" bolt and a nut - which should give me a good dept figure. But I was not fully satisfied with this simple tool. Tom produced some better tools - which ha can sell to our member friends.

The timing sensor needs about 0,5 - 0,8mm clearence to the timing wheel. I have measured one of my naked sensors to be about 29,6mm lenght (without any shims).

So first find the exact dept. Then reduce this number by let say 0,6mm. Then reduce this result by the lenght of your naked sensor. The result should give you the shim thickness.

Shims are produced in 3 thicknesses. 0,3 / 0,5 and 0,8mm. Use a correct material for the O-ring that can withstand oil.

These first 7 gauges will be presented to the Norwegian autumn club meeting, for about 40USD / 40Euro / 400NOK each.

If the V11 forum members are interested -. then I hope Tom will produce some more for sale during the comming autumn and winter.

Rolf

Ø10mm gauge.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Stein Dinse has them,, but Easily made home in an afternoon. IPA time :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shim / gasket sensor comes in more than 3 dimensions:

0,3mm - 0172270000

0,4mm - 0172270100

0,5mm - 2972276000        I have no idea why this size has another article number, but it looks to be identical with the others.

0,6mm - 0172270200

0,8mm - 0172270300

1,0mm - 0172270400

1,5mm - 0172270500

O-ring: - 9070614100 dimension ø15x2

I must correct my information about the diameter of the sensor well. The sensor diameter is just a little smaller than Ø15mm. The bolt size I used was not 3/8" - it was 9/16" which is close to Ø14mm. 

I will ask Tom to increase the gauge piston size from about Ø10 to about Ø14. This to ensure that the bottom of the piston touches the teeths of the cam wheel in a better way.

• Like 1