Let's talk about the elephant in the room: Ebikes! they are coming. Wheither we want it or not... what will you do?

The world is changing, and electric cars are starting to pop up more often than before. We have some major cities setting dates after which only EV's will be allowed in. We have car manufacturers which are setting objectives to cease internal combustion engine production.

While I am fine with driving an electric car, and I am likely to replace my dearest 911 Porsche with a minuscule Smart E, I would never purchase an electric motorbike, nor ride one.

This is not about autonomy, but the simple core pleasure of having a thermal engine heavily breathing, and the ability to change gears myself to negotiate curves.

As far as I understand, an Ebike will never be that.

The actual pleasure of driving is being redefined and I am certain our children may not need to learn to drive in the near future. Cars will drive themselves. They will be dull and uniform.

Yesterday's and today's cars will be relegated to history and museums.

Would you trade your bike for an electrical one if it became law?

I think I will be like the outlaw in Red Barchetta:

But seriously, I would get an e-bike after technology and range improves. I think an electric dual sport would be cool - riding through the forest in near silence would be a joy. However, I am not likely to TRADE one of my current bikes for an e-bike (except maybe the TW200 for an electric dual sport).

• Like 1

to the OP.. if you have never ridden an E bike, don't be so sure you wouldn't like it. I'm as much of a gear head as anyone.. but as Bill says, comma but.

There was a sporty Zero at the Ohio rally about 3 years ago available for test rides. I thought, "probably ho hum, but I'll give it a try." It was set on eco, so as soon as I left the campground, I (of course) set it on sport and nailed the throttle. :rasta:

Horry Carp! over 100 ft. lbs of torque instantly available in a Lario sized bike is really addictive. I'd have bought it on the spot if I could have ridden it home. Nope, too far. Battery tech is improving by leaps and bounds, though. I'll bet it won't be too long when that 300 or so mile trip would be doable.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Chuck said:

to the OP.. if you have never ridden an E bike, don't be so sure you wouldn't like it. I'm as much of a gear head as anyone.. but as Bill says, comma but.

There was a sporty Zero at the Ohio rally about 3 years ago available for test rides. I thought, "probably ho hum, but I'll give it a try." It was set on eco, so as soon as I left the campground, I (of course) set it on sport and nailed the throttle. :rasta:

Horry Carp! over 100 ft. lbs of torque instantly available in a Lario sized bike is really addictive. I'd have bought it on the spot if I could have ridden it home. Nope, too far. Battery tech is improving by leaps and bounds, though. I'll bet it won't be too long when that 300 or so mile trip would be doable.

I think electric vehicles have their place in the world but if I'm eventually forced to ride an electric motorcycle i'll just stop being interested in the motorcycle world. Like those clowns Harry and Megan driving away from their wedding day in an old E type Jag convertible that had been converted to electric. Pathetic. Automotive history sacrificed on the alter of Wokeness for an entitled generation. 

As for battery technology well the last thing I saw on that was it's still today 1/100th the energy density of gasoline. Some way to go yet and battery research has been very focused and funded for many years already.

Here's the most sensible thing I've seen on electric bikes.

Ciao

• Like 2

What's the similarity between a Tesla and a man with diarrhea, both have anxieity to make it home :rasta:  I better keep my mouth zipped, JUST thinking about it. Tomorrow I will enjoy myself filling up with Shell V power 98, at about 40$. 

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I test rode the HD Livewire. Had the factory not screwed the pooch, I'd have one in the garage already. 

Even in the state of tune appropriate for 5'2" second-year Susie to ride, it was quite obviously a restrained beast. 

This "Age of Ultron" behind the scenes has some serious tire-smoking displays of brutality by the Livewire, unfortunately cut from the movie. The Studio asked HD to take the governors off for their stunt people. It shows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, footgoose said:

yes all of that, yes. They haven't figured out where the ''clean'' electricity comes from.

Yes I will second that and third :thumbsup:  

So much to say on all of this.......... I will keep it to myself for now.

Ciao

• Like 3

Im respectfully a NO for now. I've ridden a Zero.. Also a Brammo back in the day. The torque on the Brammos were pretty awesome but falls flat up top. I remember the guy telling me they had about 130 miles per charge. I remember watching the meter. I bet it was more like 100. Not enough charge. Even if it was 200. If I had one it would leave me stranded. But then they'd make great commuters... But not for 15 grand at the time when you can buy a Monster 1100 at the time. Sheesh, could buy an MV Agusta 800 Brutale nicely accessorized at the time in 2014. 

And Im talking Zero pricing, not the Brammo..

Electric would be great for motocross in a controlled environmenment but certainly not all day or even weekend road riding. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tomchri said:

What's the similarity between a Tesla and a man with diarrhea, both have anxieity to make it home :rasta:  I better keep my mouth zipped, JUST thinking about it. Tomorrow I will enjoy myself filling up with Shell V power 98, at about 40$. 

Cheers Tom.

I have to say I saw Teslas on I-70 between Salina and Denver.  Perhaps 3 or 4 of them in the 450 mile stretch (there wasn't a lot of traffic minus the semis).  Saw them all over the Rockies in Colo and NM.  They seem to be going everywhere now, certainly all over town here.  I think it's the one American vehicle that outpaces it's Euro counterparts (besides pickups).  

EVs are only going to get better and cheaper.  Most automakers are phasing out petro vehicles and going EV, I suppose over 10-15 years, maybe sooner.

Let's don't go all wild guzzi about the topic but the writing is on the wall.

22 minutes ago, docc said:

I don't know nuthin', but feels like a nutrient-enhanced cold protein drink instead of charcoal grilling a trout I caught fly-fishing . . .

Yes docc I'll own an electric town car one day for sure, but a town car to me is like some sort of white goods, there do do a job and require zero input of any kind. So much of motoring for me is about the visceral stuff, without that it's just transport.

There's a reason at air shows everyone wants to see the old WW2 fighters more than the jets fly around.

Ciao   

• Like 1