Lectrical Snafoo with my 02 LeMans

JRD

Ok, its been awhile since I have contributed anything here on the forum as I have been distracted with a couple dual purpose bikes. 

The Breva and LeMans have been running great....until now.  Took the LeMans for a ride a couple weeks ago and it ran fine.  Went to start it for another ride and got the dreaded click click.   Damn, that Odyssey battery was just installed back in 2012.  Installed a new P545 and she cranks right over.  Now the problem.

Went to check everything over and discovered I the following lights DO NOT WORK:

No high or low beam head lamp. -

No Brake light using either front or rear brakes

No Horn,

No dash lights for oil pressure, hi-beam, or alternator.

Strangely, the daytime running light is illuminated, as well as the license plate and tail light, the turn signals and neutral dash lights.

Checked all the fuses and everything is connected there.  Have not replaced any of the relays as of yet.  Removed tank and checked all connections, everything there is secure also.  Open for suggestions, any advice appreciated.

Jerry

• Like 1

Not strange. All of the missing functions are through Relay #2.

The "city light", tail light, tag light and instrument illumination are their own circuit and use no relay.

• Like 2

[Quick check @JRD, swap Relay #3 (Neutral Relay, the least stressed in the stack) into Position#2 (from the front) and see if all the functions return. (The Neutral Light will still light, but the V11 might not start with the sidestand down with a faulty middle relay.]

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions docc.  The bike will turn over and start.  Just no brake lights, or hi/low beam headlights, hi beam indicator, alt, or oil pressure dash lights.

I have the tank and entire seat cowl off now.  Will switch relays around to see if that cures the problem and let you know.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, docc said:

[Quick check @JRD, swap Relay #3 (Neutral Relay, the least stressed in the stack) into Position#2 (from the front) and see if all the functions return. (The Neutral Light will still light, but the V11 might not start with the sidestand down with a faulty middle relay.]

I'm not sure I made this entirely clear.  If you have a faulty Relay#2 that takes out each of those functions (" . . . no brake lights, or hi/low beam headlights, hi beam indicator, alt, or oil pressure dash lights.") and you swap it with Relay#3, all those lights and horn should come on but the bike won't start with the stand down if you moved a faulty relay into the #3 position. It would still start with the stand up. A faulty Neutral Relay (#3) can be deceptive because the Neutral Light still comes on from the Neutral Switch.

I realize none of these starting and Neutral Circuit issues are happening on your LeMans now, but they would if you swap a faulty #2 relay into the #3 position.

Easy relay check even with the tank off

Thanks for the explanation.  Since I only planned on switching relays to test the lights, I pulled 4 and plugged that in.  Still no lights!.   I had to run a couple errands and just got back home.  Going to check up near the headlight bucket for pulled wires next

I pulled relay #4 and plugged that into position #2.  Front to back.

1 hour ago, JRD said:

I pulled relay #4 and plugged that into position #2.  Front to back.

Oh. Okay.  You moved relays between two entirely separate wiring harnesses. [Just for clarity: the front is #1 and the back is #5.]

Nothing near the headlight bucket wiring would defeat your brake light. All of your failures are Fuse#5, Relay#2. I suspect your tachometer is affected and your charging is compromised.

If Relay #2 and Fuse #5, and all their connections, check out, perhaps next to inspect the connections within the Ignition Switch . . .

What are the relays you are relying on?  Lo mein?

This woke me out of sound sleep. :o

This happened after a battery change? Perhaps one of the battery ring terminals (either positive or negative) got dropped off the stack?

Worth a look! It would not be the first time . . .

It seems like (from my foggy memory) I fixed a friends Greenie with those symptoms. It was a broken wire in the ignition switch, I think.

• Like 1

Wow thanks for the input Chuck.  I bought a new circuit tester and multi meter.  Since I first noticed I didn't have a brake light I started back there and began working my way forward after changing relays didn't help.  I discovered there is no power to the fuse for the horn and lights.  I next checked the wires going in to the relay.  Started to check all the plug connections thinking I may have pulled or broken something while replacing the battery.  Just took the dash off to get at the ignition switch when my WONDERFUL WIFE announced it was time for dinner.

Docc, thanks for that photo, I will explore that tomorrow. Really appreciate all the help and guidance.  I will keep you all posted on my progress.

PS- I ordered 5 new relays.  Naturally I saw the link to Pyro Dan's after I already placed to order to the Ebay site.

Jerry