August 5th, 2021; Valentino Rossi announces he his retiring at the end of this MotoGP season!

Even if you are not following the MotoGP racing, Valentino Rossi has made official that he will hang his leathers at the end of this season.

He started racing in the 125cc class in 1996, then 250cc, then 500cc and continued when the racing switched to four stroke engines and was renamed MotoGP.

9 World title won, he put motorcycle racing on the map for a lot of people who did not even know it was a sport.

• Like 2

Love him! so glad Moto GP came to Indy for 8 years. It was the best of times for enthusiasts in Indy and Rossi won the inaugural. He showed up at the Indy Mile in 2009 to support King Kenny on the TZ750 for his exhibition ride. Nicky Hayden was the fan favorite here but Valentino had no trouble winning And winning us over. Class act indeed.

• Like 3

While I am not a "Rossi fanboy", I think he is / was one of the greatest racers of my lifetime. And I am sorry to see him go. But I totally understand and respect his decision to call it quits.

It is strange how he can be so polarizing. While he is one of the most popular racers EVER (arguably THE most popular racer ever), he is also a racer who some people seem to hate (with a passion). I really never understood the hate. I just enjoy watching anyone that good at racing motorcycles race them. It has been a pleasure watching him. He is one of those racers that will end up being legendary, like Mike Hailwood orJohn Surtees. And I will be happy to say I watched him race.

And I also remember that inaugural race at Indy (and the TZ750 at the fairgrounds, holy sh!t).

On 8/6/2021 at 10:58 AM, GuzziMoto said:

While I am not a "Rossi fanboy", I think he is / was one of the greatest racers of my lifetime. And I am sorry to see him go. But I totally understand and respect his decision to call it quits.

It is strange how he can be so polarizing. While he is one of the most popular racers EVER (arguably THE most popular racer ever), he is also a racer who some people seem to hate (with a passion). I really never understood the hate. I just enjoy watching anyone that good at racing motorcycles race them. It has been a pleasure watching him. He is one of those racers that will end up being legendary, like Mike Hailwood orJohn Surtees. And I will be happy to say I watched him race.

And I also remember that inaugural race at Indy (and the TZ750 at the fairgrounds, holy sh!t).

I am participating to some discussions on various forums following MotoGP races.

A lot of the hate came from the controversial 2015 season, which saw Rossi almost win a 10th title. A lot of Rossi's fans agreed that Marc Marquez made a purpose of challenging Rossi on track, when Marc Marquez was not even in competition for the title. Jorge Lorenzo was the challenger. I don't want to take sides, but in some occasions, it really seemed that Marquez was simply trying to make it hard specifically for Rossi. Marc Marquez denied any wrong doing, and said he was simply doing what a racer does. Try to be in the front.

This perpetual "nagging" ended with Rossi kicking Marquez during a race in Malaysia. Rossi got a penalty and lost any chance to win his 10th championship. This will always remain as a sore to him.

After this "strange" event, the crowd split into two categories. And it went on until now. The haters said the "old timer" was only a geriatric and holding a bike from someone that would really deserve it.

Valentino Rossi did something nobody else did before him. Because of his antics and wins, he made MotoGP popular to people that did not even know the sport existed before.

I was actually following the races when Giacomo Agostini, Barry Sheene used to race. Kenny Roberts and the US pilots that came to race in Europe. Back in these days, you would only have people that love motorcycles in the audience.

If you want to see Valentino Rossi one last time, you need to go to COTA http://circuitoftheamericas.com/motogp/tickets:

October 1st to October 3rd.

• Thanks 1

I didn't see a kick,-- doesn't mean it didn't happen. I'd call it prejudiced intimidation. It looked like MM may have started it just prior. That's racin' and these guys are gladiators. Top of the game. I envy even a fraction of their abilities and can only imagine the adrenaline rush.

I remember well that incident. I, like footgoose, did not see a kick.

I also recall the hate was there before that season, but that gave the haters something to point to. There is no point re-hashing that season, it is long over and done.

I think it is much like NASCAR, where Jeff Gordon came along and became an incredibly popular and successful racer. He took his stardom, and the sport, to levels it had never been. But there was also an element of hate there. While Gordon was one of the most popular racers in NASCAR he was also one of the most hated. It is like for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction applies to fans as much as physics.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, footgoose said:

I didn't see a kick,-- doesn't mean it didn't happen. I'd call it prejudiced intimidation. It looked like MM may have started it just prior. That's racin' and these guys are gladiators. Top of the game. I envy even a fraction of their abilities and can only imagine the adrenaline rush.

Mark Marquez had been at it in several GPs before the Malaysian one where the incident took place. Rossi's reaction was the apex of a long perceived anti-sportsmanship attitude from Marquez.

Valentino Rossi was clever from the get go. He was the one who started those little celebration theatrics after a win. People started to watch the races just to find out what would be the next one. Ross always surrounded himself with people who would understand how to turn popularity into business.

He also started the "new helmet" reveal each year. Drudi and him devised a new theme every year. Today, most of the top riders have started to do it too.

Even today, when Valentino Rossi finishes races at the back of the pack, you still find people who go to the races because he is there. Justified or not.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GuzziMoto said:

There is no point re-hashing that season, it is long over and done.

You'd think, but it is not the case.

One forum was recently closed by a media, just because every single race report was used to ad-lib the hate on either VR46 or MM93. There would be hundreds of posts off topic, one side against the other.

Even Rossi classified 2015 as one of his most regretful season before the 2006 season won by the late Nicky Hayden on the last race when Valentino crashed.

But now that Valentino is going, all his former enemies are now at peace with him. Max Biaggi, Sete Gibernau, Casey Stoner, Marc Marquez, Jorge Lorenzo.

What will be interesting, in my opinion, is the consequences following VR46's departure from the MotoGP grid.

Will the interest for MotoGP drop? I am convinced it will.

Remove all the Tifosi from the stands, and at least 30-40% of the fans are gone.  There's a lot of new young guns coming up, but I wish Marquez would be able to make it back to 100%...he's thrilling to watch.  I've enjoyed seeing all of them race several times at COTA...what a fun event to watch live.

1 minute ago, PJPR01 said:

Remove all the Tifosi from the stands, and at least 40% of the fans are gone.  There's a lot of new young guns coming up, but I wish Marquez would be able to make it back to 100%...he's thrilling to watch.  I've enjoyed seeing all of them race several times at COTA...what a fun event to watch live.

That race track was designed with MM93 in mind. Excepted for 2019 when he crashed, and 2020 no MotoGP, I would be willing to bet on him winning again this season. But he still says that he is not 100% physically during the races.

• Like 1

Agreed...very much "suits" his style, and as the King of COTA, his dominance is undisputed.  I don't think he'll win unless the arm recovers...but I do hope he's at least very competitive, that makes it more fun for the spectators.  

By the way, there's a special V11 parking spot at COTA, it's not Ducati Island, it's La Isola dei V11, out in the motorcycle parking!

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

By the way, there's a special V11 parking spot at COTA, it's not Ducati Island, it's La Isola dei V11, out in the motorcycle parking!

Seriously? or is it una barzelletta?

I used to go to the Ducati Store in Austin regularly, because they showed the MotoGP races on Sundays. So I am aware there is a Ducati island at COTA, even if the access is currently on waiting list.

I was bidding on the fact that not everyone would be able to distinguish a Le Mans from a Panigale V2. Both have two cylinders. My experience is that the people filtering the entrances have little understanding of Italian motorbikes.

That race displayed terrible sportsmanship from #93.  I can't believe the stewards did that to Rossi, robbed him of the last chance for a title.  I can only guess that MM was so jealous that he just couldn't stand to see Rossi win another one.  Rossi called him out for doing some of the same in the previous race....Despite that, I hope MM recovers and can contend again.  I have no idea if the problem is the bike, the rider or both.

I was fortunate to see Rossi win at Indy and get his last podium in Texas.  

I'd like to go to COTA this year, despite the excessive cost for tickets.  I'd be surprised to see the race happen give the new Delta variant.  

The big news today is the Yamaha has fired Maverick for abusing the motorcycle at the last race.  Apparently he didn't shift to high gear on the main straight for several laps.  I wonder if Aprilia will hire him after all given that?

Some photos at Indy and COTA

0D883D64140E4B0AA13F1A72AAC23D1F.jpgF3F562FF72E644A684F077A27F0A512D.jpgC4E83F4E7DF2453895092F0BEF6A77FF.jpg 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

The big news today is the Yamaha has fired Maverick for abusing the motorcycle at the last race.  Apparently he didn't shift to high gear on the main straight for several laps.  I wonder if Aprilia will hire him after all given that?

Wow!

I read the MotoGP news every day, and this was not reported this morning Tejas time...

Was Maverick looking to get the heck out of Dodge now that he is a father?

As for Aprilia, who knows...

From what I read on Moto.it, he is only suspended for this Sunday's race, Yamaha has rescinded Maverick's participation for this Grand-Prix only.

Further action maybe taken as they are still conducting their interpretation of what he did, or did not last week-end.