Ruby helmets: beware the counterfeits!!!

3 hours ago, docc said:

I've never had a leather lined helmet. That seems at once classy, luxurious, and unforgivingly hot.

I used to use Arai, but cannot forgive their fragile faceshield retention plates. My last two helmets have been Shoei modulars. The Neotech was great, but the Neotech II has sucked from day one - so noisy! I've modified it extensively (sad and ugly for a $700US new helmet).

What surprised me is how much I prefer the flip down tinted visor. (No more fumbling to change between glasses.) And how much I like the quick disconnect strap instead of D-rings.  Before, I had thought of both of those features as gimmicks. 

I keep thinking this may be my next modular (any experience with this AGV model?) . . .

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sportmodular-carbon-solid-helmet

agv_helmets_agv_sport_modular_glossy_750

Here's the list of all the FIM certified helmets by brand. To obtain it, the helmet needs to pass more stringent tests than those required by the various governments' entities.

So I am sticking to my Shark Race R Pro, even if it is not the best in terms of ventilation and probably noise level. I do have the internal jettison feature too, and I wear prescription glasses. Out of all the helmets I tested, the Shark was the only one which allowed me to slip in the branches of my glasses in an acceptable time.

Again, a black helmet.

Shark has a red model I would be willing to purchase, not imported in the USA.

Shark Pro GP red

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, docc said:

I've never had a leather lined helmet. That seems at once classy, luxurious, and unforgivingly hot.

I used to use Arai, but cannot forgive their fragile faceshield retention plates. My last two helmets have been Shoei modulars. The Neotech was great, but the Neotech II has sucked from day one - so noisy! I've modified it extensively (sad and ugly for a $700US new helmet).

What surprised me is how much I prefer the flip down tinted visor. (No more fumbling to change between glasses.) And how much I like the quick disconnect strap instead of D-rings.  Before, I had thought of both of those features as gimmicks. 

I keep thinking this may be my next modular (any experience with this AGV model?) . . .

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sportmodular-carbon-solid-helmet

agv_helmets_agv_sport_modular_glossy_750

My brother purchased one of those and he also has a Neo 1.  I've not ridden with him for a couple of years and seldom see him due to my fear of Covid.    He likes the AGV better due to it's lighter weight. That's all he's mentioned.  I read the reviews on the AGV and found a a great deal on Schuberth ($400 in Duc red) before I bought my Neo 2 but didn't see enough reasons to switch brands.  I sometimes like riding with face open and I can do that with the Neos without much wind interference (although the Neo2 isn't quite as wind resistant open and is harder to close, perhaps a little noisier but I wear earplugs).

One think I'd recommend to anyone buying an expensive helmet, contact Champion Helmets in Germany (Netherlands?).  Typically they can discount when US dealers can't.  I got my Neo 2 delivered for <$500. 

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, LowRyter said:

One think I'd recommend to anyone buying an expensive helmet, contact Champion Helmets in Germany (Netherlands?).  Typically they can discount when US dealers can't.  I got my Neo 2 delivered for <$500. 

Champion Helmets
Ettenseweg 2
4706 PB Roosendaal
The Netherlands

Thanks for the tip! they have the "Red Shark" helmet in stock, the one I was looking for. I just have to check if I can have one with the DOT certification. Usually, helmets sold in Europe have the E-22/05 certificate.

Also, and I mentioned this in another post.

Keep in mind, by law prices shown in Europe have to include the local taxes. If the goods are shipped outside of the EU, they should remove the VAT from the price.

The Shark Helmet I am looking at is shown USD 726.62; VAT in The Netherlands for this item is 21%. So the helmet price for a US base resident should be USD 600.51.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, p6x said:

Champion Helmets
Ettenseweg 2
4706 PB Roosendaal
The Netherlands

Thanks for the tip! they have the "Red Shark" helmet in stock, the one I was looking for. I just have to check if I can have one with the DOT certification. Usually, helmets sold in Europe have the E-22/05 certificate.

Also, and I mentioned this in another post.

Keep in mind, by law prices shown in Europe have to include the local taxes. If the goods are shipped outside of the EU, they should remove the VAT from the price.

The Shark Helmet I am looking at is shown USD 726.62; VAT in The Netherlands for this item is 21%. So the helmet price for a US base resident should be USD 600.51.

Yep, they have ECE markings rather than DOT.  I don't see any issue about that.  No VAT charged and was spot on shipping time.  I think the helmet was shipped from Germany but the shop address was Netherlands.   

Anyway, other than the sticker, I was pretty satisfied  but I don't care about the sticker, it's the same helmet. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, LowRyter said:

Yep, they have ECE markings rather than DOT.  I don't see any issue about that.  No VAT charged and was spot on shipping time.  I think the helmet was shipped from Germany but the shop address was Netherlands.   

Anyway, other than the sticker, I was pretty satisfied  but I don't care about the sticker, it's the same helmet. 

I ran a few checks, and it appears the price shown on their website do not include VAT. Which is surprising, but it is The Netherlands. Their program checks for VPN too, so I could not set my local in any other country that the USA. But I input a few European addresses, and I saw that for shipping to those destination, VAT was added.

I am not worried about the sticker per se, but the law stipulates that helmets in the USA have to be DOT certified. Would an insurance company use a non DOT helmet loop hole to avoid reimbursing you?

3 hours ago, p6x said:

I ran a few checks, and it appears the price shown on their website do not include VAT. Which is surprising, but it is The Netherlands. Their program checks for VPN too, so I could not set my local in any other country that the USA. But I input a few European addresses, and I saw that for shipping to those destination, VAT was added.

I am not worried about the sticker per se, but the law stipulates that helmets in the USA have to be DOT certified. Would an insurance company use a non DOT helmet loop hole to avoid reimbursing you?

I don't think any insurance company would even check about the sticker given that most of the states don't even require a helmet in the first place.  And then, regardless of the sticker, how could they prove it was a defective helmet other than the markings since the same helmet is sold in the US?

That was my thinking.  Saving $200 <Guzzi content>  made it worth it to me.

And here's Champion's helmets answers:

Hello,
Thank you for your mail

I can confirm, when checking out with an address outside the EU that the Netherlands’ VAT will be removed.
Have a nice day.

In case you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Nick Vermolen
Champion Helmets
Ettenseweg 2  
4706 PB, Roosendaal
Netherlands
N + 31 165 745054
3 info@championhelmets.com
  www.championhelmets.com

Hello,
Thank you for your mail

The helmet is ECE certified and DOT approved.

In case you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Nick Vermolen
Champion Helmets
Ettenseweg 2  
4706 PB, Roosendaal
Netherlands
N + 31 165 745054
3 info@championhelmets.com
  www.championhelmets.com