Dash back-light bulbs and holders

Grim

I bought some LEDs to replace the back-lights, all good, they seem to be either marketed as T5, 286 or 74  wedge bulbs.
This is a little confusing, from what I can see T5 is a code for wattage, whereas 286 is the style of bulb (although sometimes they state "wedge" like there is an alternative 286 bulb style)?
I would like to replace my rubber bulb holder, one has snapped and they cause shorts because they are all perished and allow the bulb to pop out and touch contacts sometimes.
It would be interesting to be able to find a "click in" style solid plastic holder that released when squeezed, the rubber ones are horrible to deal with.

Should all 286 holders be the correct size for the bulb? Does anyone really know!?

Not answering you're question @Grim, but does the indicator warning LED light for both indicator directions?  I ask as it looks like the V11 wiring uses the same half assed indicator wiring as on my Sport and installing an LED without bi-directional circuitry won't work (I think).

With the OEM setup the current direction through the warning light, reverses with the physical direction (i.e. Left or Right) selected. The setup relies on earthing the warning light through the other indicator circuit. As the current through the warning bulb is low it's not sufficient to light the indicators on the non selected side.

As an LED can only pass current in one direction, unless it has additional cricuitry installed, the indicator warning light will only work for one direction.

There are LEDs that have additional circuitry built in to cope with this, but you need them if you want the indicator warning to work for both left and right sides

Just a thought

• Like 2

Good point on the single turn indicator as on the earlier Sports. The later V11 (starting when?) eliminates the battery warning and features separate left/right indicators. LED indicators would work in this case?

• Like 1

Ahh my bad then if it doesn't apply.

Took a look at Carl Allison's diagram for a V11 Sport Catalytic (whatever that is) and it shows both left and right indicator bulbs, in that case an LED would work as both the bulb warning indicators are simply tied to a common ground/frame on the neg side.

• Like 1

I only say that because I changed my flat lens sheet that sits in front of the indicator bulbs from the early flat style to the 2002 "jeweled" style that  @footgoose showed me. Much easier to see when lit.  :thumbsup:

So, the 2002 indicator layout is the same as the early V11 with a battery/charging light and a single turn indicator.

Early flat style lens sheet:

IMG_2139.JPG.jpeg

Later "jeweled" style, style based on the single turn indicator and still with Battery light:

IMG_6839.jpg

• Like 3

Some times my lights work , some time they don't . All that matters to me : will it start & not leave me stranded ! My low fuel indicator does NOT work . I've ran out twice this year . Come to think of it , that's the same amount of times I've ridden this *#$%^@@)((&& . At least I've learned to lay the bike over and run it until I have to repeat the procedure . Hopefully I find a gas station and refuel .

[Those indicator lights are driven off Relay#2 through the Ignition Switch. Both of those deserve diligence.  Observe your tach for faulty reading s when the lights don't work.]

While all of this might be beneficial, it doesn't address the OP's original question:

"It would be interesting to be able to find a "click in" style solid plastic holder that released when squeezed, the rubber ones are horrible to deal with.

Should all 286 holders be the correct size for the bulb? Does anyone really know!?"

I am only talking about the backlights here, the ones that illuminate the dials. I am happy with the visibility of the warning lights. I have the "jewelled style" and they are pretty noticable, with the whole thing glowing when lit up....except of course for the fuel level.....:wacko:

I have a feeling these T10 holders look to be correct, although I cant find anywhere that referecnes 286 on any of the adverts for them. I will order some as I like the look of the rubber "teeth" maybe less awkward to remove than the originals?
s-l1600.jpg

These look to be a good match for the originals:
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/5pcs-t10-w5w-soft-rubber-light-bulb-socket-lamp-holder-connector-car-light-base-auto-led-lights-bulb-socket-connector_p8297399.html

I ordered some of these too, I think you could probably notch the holes in the back of the clock body to accept these, then you just turn them in and the teeth catch behind, I'll give it a go.

T10_holder_1024x1024.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2021 at 5:20 PM, docc said:

I only say that because I changed my flat lens sheet that sits in front of the indicator bulbs from the early flat style to the 2002 "jeweled" style that  @footgoose showed me. Much easier to see when lit.  :thumbsup:

So, the 2002 indicator layout is the same as the early V11 with a battery/charging light and a single turn indicator.

Early flat style lens sheet:

IMG_2139.JPG.jpeg

Later "jeweled" style, style based on the single turn indicator and still with Battery light:

IMG_6839.jpg

Hunting around on the forum to see where to buy this jeweled t-section.

Having fixed the diffuser in my headlight this evening successfully, I'm now turning my attention to cleaning up the T-section...wouldn't you know it, two of the screws are just spinning and spinning, so assuming I eventually figure out a way to solve that I'd love to replace the lights with this jeweled t-section.  

Would someone be so kind as to point me where to find it again?  Thanks!

Was able to get the dash apart successfully, all of the plastic tabs where the screws lock in were broken.  Now on the hunt now for part # GU02766300 (the instrument panel).  Hunting the usual sources now.  Seems like perhaps a no longer available part...anyone have one lying around perhaps?

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=2463

No way you could JB Weld the damaged part, then drill and tap it?

I'll have a look for the jeweled T-panel part number. It's from the 2002 Parts Catalog . . .

• Like 1