An 8v Norge Named Exxon-Valdez

Bill Hagan

[I've posted this elsewhere, so, obviously, apologies if you are sick of seeing it.  Still, I thought it might be interesting to CARC'ers, if not others.]

The short version.  Wait.   

Issuing “short versions” is not my specialty, as, even tho a retired word merchant, I stillprefer TLDR to PowerPoint bullets.   :rolleyes: 

That said, I’ll try — tho I'll make up for it in the pix.  :D

A local friend's very-low-mileage (as in 3500!) 8v 2014 Norge leaked — make that gushed — oil.

i-vpmgRj9-L.jpg

The whole story is pretty much here:

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Mikes-8v-Norge-Exxon-Valdez/n-6gDHbq/

If you care, hover cursor over pix for captions.

I spent today down there cleaning the mess this project in the Moto Grappa, but there are far worse ways to spend a day ... assuming beer is available!  :drink:

Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

[docc-ever-the-dedicated-moderator fixed up the links.] :nerd:

Odd. They worked on preview.  

Thanks, tho.

Bill

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bill Hagan said:

Odd. They worked on preview.  

Thanks, tho.

Bill

So, currently, this forum will only reliably display images and links with no prefix before "https" and no suffix after the address ("[url]" or [img]" etc . . .)

Known as 'Direct"  / not "BBCode" . . . :nerd:

[As if your dedicated moderator actually knows anything about this sort of thing. (I know the difference between a 10mm wrench and a shock from a spark plug wire!) I can say this: Displaying images and posting links is a moving target. Expect it to change. Continually.]

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I assume it wasn't a valve cover leak since the Norge uses metal gaskets?  :rasta:

Yeah, not sure what these two hoses are (crankcase ventilation?), but not "gaskets" . . .

i-PpjR8bd-XL.jpg

i-q4MV657-XL.jpg

i-mhbKz3P-XL.jpg

Good finds, y'all-boys! :thumbsup:  :bier:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I assume it wasn't a valve cover leak since the Norge uses metal gaskets?  :rasta:

You are kidding, right?  

The 8v CARC's have rubber gaskets, and that was, given location, a prime suspect, along with OPS and breather hoses.  We thought at first that it may very well have been a pinched or cut left-side gasket, but oil path -- not that such can be trusted -- and recent onset after 2K miles and 2 years of non-issue since service at sale made that seem unlikely.

9 hours ago, footgoose said:

Love the slideshow Bill... as always. Thanks.

what's going on behind Moto Grappa?

Hmmmmm.  Don't know.  Maybe I better go check.  :huh2:

Unless you mean my Appalachian stack of stuff on right side.  That's for my "one of these days" projects that will be a problem for my estate. :grin:

Bill 

2 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

You are kidding, right?  

The 8v CARC's have rubber gaskets, and that was, given location, a prime suspect, along with OPS and breather hoses.  We thought at first that it may very well have been a pinched or cut left-side gasket, but oil path -- not that such can be trusted -- and recent onset after 2K miles and 2 years of non-issue since service at sale made that seem unlikely.

Hmmmmm.  Don't know.  Maybe I better go check.  :huh2:

Unless you mean my Appalachian stack of stuff on right side.  That's for my "one of these days" projects that will be a problem for my estate. :grin:

Bill 

Oh, this was an 8 valve motor, not the Breva series 1100/1200 engine with the metal gaskets that may fit the V11 series. 

My bad.

2 hours ago, LowRyter said:

Oh, this was an 8 valve motor, not the Breva series 1100/1200 engine with the metal gaskets that may fit the V11 series. 

My bad.

Hardly "bad."  While working on it, my red firstgen "2v" was right there beside it.  I continually "ass-u-me'd" various things about the latter would fit the former!

13 minutes ago, footgoose said:

No I mean waaaaay out back, in the field .. it looks like they're building something.

Hmmmmm.  Our next door neighbor is a VDOT facility.  Lots of heavy equipment and mountains of "stuff."  Some folks wouldn't like that as a neighhbor.  Sure beats a Wal-Mart or the like.  Plus, visiting grands like the action. :D

Bill

• Like 2

Nice blue Alfa there too...had it been the Alfa SUV, you could have legitimately claimed that a Stelvio had stopped by too!  

• Haha 1

The breather hoses are a PITA. Thing is they tend to decay quicker on bikes that spend a lot of time inactive than ones that get run frequently or on a daily basis. Also it's always wise if you do get one that's cracking to replace the lot as one letting go means the rest of them are only a breath away from falling to bits too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1