12V switched source

po18guy

Am wondering if there is a "reasonably" handy switched 12V source near the instruments/ignition switch? Having never had the instruments or ignition switch off the bike, dunno if there is a handy spot that can be tapped into. Like 22ga. wire.

1 hour ago, Grim said:

I'm using the sidelight cables for my phone holder/wireless charger.

In American English, the turn signals?

7 minutes ago, docc said:

In American English, the turn signals?

Ha, Nope, the "parking" light. Little 12v bulb under the main headlamp bulb. Black and yellow wires.

I soldered on to the terminals and ran the cables out the bucket in the original plastic sleeve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, docc said:

Ah, gotcha - the 5 amp Fuse #6, "dipped" light," along with the tail light and instrument illumination.

Yup, that's certainly the one that blew when I accidentally powered on with no bulbs in the little rubber holders.....

4 hours ago, Grim said:

Ha, Nope, the "parking" light. Little 12v bulb under the main headlamp bulb. Black and yellow wires.

I soldered on to the terminals and ran the cables out the bucket in the original plastic sleeve.

Brilliant! The mark of an XS650 owner.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 8:44 PM, docc said:

What are you trying to power?

Voltmeter/clock/thermometer. Draws milliamps.

I have heard the "sidelight" called a city beam, as opposed to dipped beam. A lot of old VWs etc. have them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Voltmeter/clock/thermometer. Draws milliamps.

I have heard the "sidelight" called a city beam, as opposed to dipped beam. A lot of old VWs etc. have them.

Yeah, dipped in the UK is the standard mode of the H4 headlight bulb, because it is dipped down and can't dazzle, the other mode is hi/full beam.

We say sidelights/driving lights/daylight running lights for any bulb that is white but not part of the headlight bulb, alot of cars and bikes have them on constantly now, not even as a user selected mode.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grim said:

Yup, that's certainly the one that blew when I accidentally powered on with no bulbs in the little rubber holders.....

Why would no bulbs blow a fuse?

Just now, docc said:

Why would no bulbs blow a fuse?

My rubber bulb holders are knackered, so with no bulb in the contacts are free to wobble about and.... contact! 

Those little wedge bulbs are horrible, and those soft rubber holders are weird.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grim said:

My rubber bulb holders are knackered, so with no bulb in the contacts are free to wobble about and.... contact! 

Those little wedge bulbs are horrible, and those soft rubber holders are weird.

Indeed. And that type of T5 socket rubber absolutely welds itself to the gauge sockets. I had quite a time getting them out. They went back in with silicone paste.