Mine! V11 Sport RedFrame, black

VtwinStorm

5 minutes ago, VtwinStorm said:

I've got three lines each on positive and negative terminals. It's nuts.

So these babies will help me with the V11?

Woudn't need ebay to do that upgrade, makes connecting cables, 2, like an IPA, oh well.

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Woudn't need ebay to do that upgrade, makes connecting cables, 2, like an IPA, oh well.

Cheers

I can barely get a slim wrench in there to remove the battery. A ratchet is impossible!

This included "massaging" under the battery tray and "pressing" upward. If the tray were solid, it would have been even worse! The clearance is in mm...this is after removing the hold down strap completely, which gives me juuuuuuust enough help to make it possible, but it ain't a walk in the park!

I tend to install and remove m/c batteries often because I keep 3/5 bikes at a storage unit as I rotate them during the Spring...so any help in making this easier is so appreciated!

Not perfect, but easy undoing cables, you will be busy caring for her.
Cheers Tom 4970be86c2305adef0cc4c912fa54750.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A525F via Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

I know... just fiddly. 😆

59 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Bought a set... will mount them in the Spring... anything to make installation and removal of the battery easier!

11 minutes ago, VtwinStorm said:

Bought a set... will mount them in the Spring... anything to make installation and removal of the battery easier!

When I made mine, a little JB weld to keep the nut THERE, not even a must using a wrench on it when tightening cables, again just me. 

Cheers Tom.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VtwinStorm said:
 docc said:
With the limited clearance under the seat, mounting the battery basket below the seat frame might be worth looking at to clear those angled connectors. This drops the battery about 14mm, IIRC.

Docc, you are awesome, man.

Thank you.

With the challenges I had on a variety of tight clearance issues working on the V11, I tried to do this relocation of the battery tray twice, it sounded easy and simple enough; I gave up in frustration on both unsuccessful attempts.

Iirc the main challenge on my bike, was one of the threaded nut tabs was off kilter and welded too close to the frame rail.

The 3rd successful attempt, involved bucket loads of patience, a variety of new longer bolts, and I may have had to resort to the use of a file, but I was very glad to finally relocate the tray mounted underneath the tabs;

As you're learning, it's a tight fit in there and every mm of extra clearance is a good thing.

fwiw  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 80CX100 said:

With the challenges I had on a variety of tight clearance issues working on the V11, I tried to do this relocation of the battery tray twice, it sounded easy and simple enough; I gave up in frustration on both unsuccessful attempts.

Iirc the main challenge on my bike, was one of the threaded nut tabs was off kilter and welded too close to the frame rail.

The 3rd successful attempt, involved bucket loads of patience, a variety of new longer bolts, and I may have had to resort to the use of a file, but I was very glad to finally relocate the tray mounted underneath the tabs;

As you're learning, it's a tight fit in there and every mm of extra clearance is a good thing.

fwiw  

Thank you... still it's worth it to have access to a machine of such charisma.

• Like 1

Granted, it drops the front, mostly. But rather dramatically. The V11 seat pan tends to sit down hard (especially on the early Sport), so dropping the battery mounting can help save the battery, as well.

IMG_0455.jpg

The simple solution @footgoose posted for improving the excessive number of terminal rings on the battery posts does not look like it really needs more space under the seat . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yes docc my battery adapter setup is on my '02 and there is plenty of room. AND/but I had lowered my battery tray before I decided to use the adapters. I haven't installed them on my '00 Black Beauty yet so it may be different. I will use a clay-type substance to get an accurate measure of space when seated, as I always do for tight spaces involving important "stuff".

Those brackets are probably the cheapest, most satisfying piece I've added to the bike. All these years fiddling with the battery and connecting wires.:homer:    p.s. I'm in the camp that disconnects the battery for charging and everything else. I just don't care to remember what goes where and when and why. ,,, just which terminal comes off - goes on -- first!

• Thanks 3

• 4 months later...
On 9/21/2021 at 5:23 PM, VtwinStorm said:

Finally, an update. It has been about 3 hours since I got to actually ride the V11, and I haven't come down yet. Oh my word, what a machine. She's a bit unrefined, but still...dignified and graceful.

I confirmed before setting off all the lights, horn, brakes, etc. all were functional. No smoke on startup again, no terrifying and expensive noises within the sump telling me to replace bottom end bearings...just the normal V11 noises I'm told to expect. Again, hold the clutch in...rattle, rattle, rattle...Love it. There were a few idle surges while things warmed up for 5 mins or so before I set off. While riding, I confirmed the speedo and odo BOTH work...simultaneously...on the same V11...and the ODO reset knob is still present and works. One less thing, right?

I arrived on a 900SS, a stark contrast to the V11.

I don't have to address the elephant in the room, the style of the V11. She is sexy and elegant. Enough said.

The ergos on the V11 are more standard than sport, in spite of the clip-ons. Lots of vibration through the grips at nearly all RPM (hands got numb after 20 mins. I have to address this), I got zero vibration through the stock footpegs, which is exactly opposite of what I was told to expect. Strange.

The saddle was very wide but firm and comfy. I expected to be punished with the stock saddle, but I was pleasantly surprised! AF1 Racing in Austin, Tx. got me a NOS black seat cowl and all the fasteners and washers (still waiting to be shipped to me when the fasteners arrive). I am waiting on the cowl "moon" pad from a gent in Italy. No rush, as I won't ride her again until Spring of 2022.

The gearbox was BUTTER! Click-click-click...effortless shifting, just effortless. I was beside myself in the refinement of the gearbox. Better than even my 900SS...blasphemy! No false neutrals, no matter how many times I tried---and I tried to upset the gearbox. But, firm, deliberate shifts are what worked best as many wise members of this forum informed me. I stopped, clicked up, never popped out of gear under any scenario. Just a sweet gearbox. Great work, Guzzi!

I wasn't on bad roads, but the suspension felt firm and slightly bouncy over undulating pavement. About what I expected, but it wasn't bad.

Steering was pretty average, or more, of the wide turning radius type.

One thing I will need to get used to, is that super forward kickstand. Wow! I know it is for clearance issues, but it is going to take me a LONG time to get used to the kickstand location when I want to park the bike or set off at first. Guzzi does everything differently. :P

The brakes were adequate. They just did the job, but a lot of lever input was required to get the machine stopped effectively.

The tires were hardly used but old Dunlop SportMaxes, and I wasn't going to dump my baby and grind the side of a cylinder head pretending I was qualifying for the Isle of Mann TT, so I kept the leans to a casual tempo. Turn in was still excellent and composed. Tracing a line and cliping apexes was so smooth and effortless, belying the weight of this bigger lady.

As many told me about the torque-effect of the shaft drive, and the V11 didn't disappoint. At a stop, a few blips of the throttle leaned the bike slightly to the right repeatedly giving me a chuckle.

The stock cans as I understand are a bit muted, so thankfully the previous owner had great taste and  donated a set of Mistral conical upswept cans for my listening pleasure. They are boomy, baritone, but perhaps 7/10ths the sound put out by my 900SS's carbon Termis. It's not fair for me to say which I prefer, they are just both their own personality. That said, the Mistrals are NOT quiet. They just boom along as the engine hums underneath you. They fit the more laid back/standard ergos and personality of the V11.

What a machine! You hit the wall of torque at 2k and it just keeps pulling and pulling. You have to rev this engine to get the most out of it, but it spins up pretty fast. The engine is eager to deliver a smooth helping of carmel-like torque. She really is industrial in her own way. Rear weight bias is evident once underway...wow. Truly, more of the weight is on that back wheel, and you feel it when you go WOT, the front suspension lets up, and you feel the front end starting to rise two or more inches. It is a very different balance than I am used to. On the plus side, the weight feels so much lower than I would have thought! You just have these two giant aluminum cylinders sticking out in front of your knees in the airstream. I feel like I am riding a wingless WWI biplane. Ha ha!!!

I stopped by a gas station after legally touching an indicated 80mph on the highway, impressed. I topped the plastic/nylon acerbis tank with sta-bil to at least minimize the damage of the ethanol while it is stored until I get her back in April '22...and I was sad to end the ride. I wanted to keep on going, and the big Guzzi certainly felt obliged to please me.

FINAL THOUGHT: These machines are like flying a WWI wingless biplane. The V11 is still an underappreciated jewel in the motorcycle world, and I am fortunate to have gotten (a NICE one, lots of junker V11s out there!!!) before too many people discover them and make them cost new bike money. Physically small, yet feeling big and agricultural in some ways, nevertheless, this sultry Italian lady has class, curves, style and is full of brio. Bellissima!

What a damned fine motorcycle. I only regret not getting one a LOT sooner! I finally got to officially drink the kool-aid and join the cult! Now, where are the cookies?

IMG_20210921_150616 - Copy.jpg

@VtwinStorm must be getting close to bringing us a long awaited update on his black RedFrame Sport . . . :race:B)

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2022 at 1:35 PM, docc said:

@VtwinStorm must be getting close to bringing us a long awaited update on his black RedFrame Sport . . . :race:B)

Sorry for the delay, Docc. I've been working my butt off and planning my first trip to the EU this Sept. So excited!

The rain has finally started to let up. I got the V11 out of storage last week.

I must say, I was surprised and impressed to open my storage unit and see...not one drop of oil under my Guzzi. The bottom, also...dry.

The battery brackets were a lifesaver, thank you all for telling me to get them! They help so much with all the cables...crazy wiring harness design.

The vibration in the grips is much reduced after the tune-up. It doesn't numb my hands after 20 mins now. Little vibes, quite manageable now.

She runs so very beautifully, and turn-in is excellent, as are the brakes now that they were flushed.

The Mistral pipes offer a nice, low thrumming note while underway. Triple digit speeds (according to old road tests on a closed circuit road course) is very stable and quiet...6th gear is tall. For a pushrod twin, she really likes to pull hard! With the Roper Plate installed, I kept a close eye for any oil lights on hills or hard acceleration...not a flicker. Perhaps the #1 mod that must be done to a V11.

The gearbox is still smooth and easy. The dry clutch a real crowd-pleaser.

I've only gotten two rides in this week, but next week, it's all dry and sunny, and I'm on vacation!

All that is left after I installed a seat cowl with blue permatex, is to install the 4 new aluminum eagles on the pork chops, triple tree, and alternator cover. I also have two new shift lever and rear brake rubbers to install, but the ones on there look hardly worn, so they way stay until they start cracking.

I've really fallen in love with the V11 Sport. She's a real gem of a motorcycle, and I couldn't be happier.

Guzzi gas.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Scud said:

Looks like the start of something wonderful.

It is. I really love this machine, and my Ducatis are getting jealous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1