Is the Griso 8V the ultimate Guzzi big block ?

Guzzimax

Had a fabulous ride on my Griso around the Derbyshire hills today. Did exactly the same ride on my Greenie 2 weeks ago. Reflecting on the contrasts, it reminded me what a gem the 1151 cc 8V roller cam motor is. Masses of torque throughout, and at high rpms it just keeps on pulling. The Griso 8V is a joy to ride, sure it’s long heavy bike, but I can hustle it along the twisties around here and make great progress, it countersteers well, and generally feels rock solid even when really pushed hard, I think it’s a lot more planted than my red framed V11’s, but that’s down to it’s longer wheelbase and stiffer frame. IMHO styling wise I still think a V11 is slightly ahead of the Griso, but the Griso was and still is an awesome package & finale to the big block Guzzi’s 
Will we ever see an as accomplished a Guzzi as a 8V Griso ? 

E6F19F69-CFCF-49CC-A5DC-890F6306E353.jpeg

• Like 5

Ha!  Did the same today as well!  Nice day for a run in the forest on the Griso…oodles of power…a bit more of a handful on the sweepers, but very long legged and fun to ride!

D128068B-8CED-420E-BE1A-CC05B0BE8FD7.jpeg

• Like 3

PJPR01, you sir have summed it up perfectly!

02A829AE-9587-4319-8648-562F7B23BE30.jpeg

• Like 5

Griso is, without doubt, the ultimate iteration of the big block and what a glorious swan song it is.

No, it doesn't speak to everyone and in stock trim is far from perfect but once mapped and suspended properly it is a 'Road' bike without peer.

I like mine so much I bought another one in case something happens to my original one!

I won't be buying another IC engined motorbike, at least not to keep, so my Grisos will be my swan song as well as Guzzi's as the firm now seems to be wandering off rudderless into the world of bland, uninspiring and uninteresting *Nothing* bikes.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, docc said:

Is the Griso 8v motor not the same as the 8v motor in the Stelvio and Norge ?

Same one indeed….I believe they are all tuned the same…but the professionals here can confirm…

• Thanks 1

I feel similarly about my Stelvio in comparison to the V11. But the huge, cattle-horn handle bars make it easy to push around on the street. It's a fabulous motor and the longer-travel suspension inspires confidence even on crappy asphalt. I have only liked the looks of one Griso, the Tenni green with brown seat, but even that, at least to me, is only a decent-looking bike that doesn't truly inspire. Now a Sport 1200... that is potentially a different story (again, IMO) and could be the peak of the CARC sporting bikes. BTW, I don't find my Stelvio to be highly attractive either, although I love the dual headlight and the style of the taillight, and overall it looks better than most ADV bikes.

• Like 3

Earlier, flat tappet, versions of the engine had minor camming differences. Once the roller system was adopted all 1200 motors became effectively the same. The 1400 motor has substantial differences to the 1200 but uses the same cams.

Scud, the Sport 1200 is a much *Softer* motorbike than the Griso and is a lot less 'Sporty'. It's essentially just a Breva with handlebars and a small fairing. That isn't to say it's a bad bike. Far from it. But if you want 'Sporty' starting off with the Griso platform is a far better bet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Scud, the Sport 1200 is a much *Softer* motorbike than the Griso and is a lot less 'Sporty'. It's essentially just a Breva with handlebars and a small fairing. That isn't to say it's a bad bike. Far from it. But if you want 'Sporty' starting off with the Griso platform is a far better bet.

I've never even seen a 1200 Sport in person. Seen plenty of Grisos, but never even bothered to sit on one. Must have myself a closer look next time.

Do enjoy my Stelvio (even though I never look back admiringly at her after a ride). I recently let my neighbor, who has an R1200RT, ride it. He liked it better than his BMW. I know that's faint praise on this forum, but it's a big deal coming from a guy whose had several BMWs.

2 hours ago, LowRyter said:

So no one thinks the 1400 is the ultimate big block?  :whistle:

Some people love 'em. I really tried to like mine but in the end I couldn't.  Subjectively 'Cruisers' don't press my buttons. Objectively, compared to other similarly styled and purposed machines it falls down on a number of levels.

4 hours ago, pete roper said:

Some people love 'em. I really tried to like mine but in the end I couldn't.  Subjectively 'Cruisers' don't press my buttons. Objectively, compared to other similarly styled and purposed machines it falls down on a number of levels.

I could never get over the stupid valve cover extensions/oversized covers thing, then cut bloody great chunks out of the fuel tank so they fit. Looks like something the Guzzi social club came up with after a long lunch when the styling department were made redundant.

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Scud said:

I've never even seen a 1200 Sport in person. Seen plenty of Grisos, but never even bothered to sit on one. Must have myself a closer look next time.

Do enjoy my Stelvio (even though I never look back admiringly at her after a ride). I recently let my neighbor, who has an R1200RT, ride it. He liked it better than his BMW. I know that's faint praise on this forum, but it's a big deal coming from a guy whose had several BMWs.

I always tell individuals when inquiring about the differences between my Griso and my 1200 Sport that the Griso feels much lighter but is also a lot more violent( in a good way B) )

Just my thoughts is all.

Ciao

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Twin AH said:

Na ............ That ride by wire stuff just doesn't connect one to the machine IMHO.

Ciao

The newer bikes are superior to the old ones for the last 20 years, whether by wire or cable.  The 85TT or my Ducati have perfect throttle control.  No Power Commander, re-jets,  Up Maps. etc.

The only modification that Duc (SS) riders are doing to the "ride by wire" are putting in spacers to take out any throttle play that was purposely designed into the system to "feel" like a traditionally cable.  I'm fine with the factory design BTW.  

The 1400T that I've ridden rode perfectly -throttle wise.  I understand that some of the later 1400s had lean maps and weren't perfect.  Nothing to do with RBW.