Is the Griso 8V the ultimate Guzzi big block ?

Guzzimax

20 hours ago, nobleswood said:

Grisoghetto.     Those guys are hoarders over there, some of them have 2 Grisos justifying it as ‘one for around town & one for out of town’. You’ll only get one of them to part with a Griso at the funeral !

Just saying.    😆

Can’t speak for worldwide sales, but here in the UK there are just 328 Griso 1200 8V’s left. I would have thought by now that everyone who has a 1200 8V flattie understands the need for rollerisation, but unrollerised examples still come up for sale. Personally I’m never selling mine and hopefully I’ve still got a good few years left riding before the grim reaper calls ! 

• Like 1

The green was twelve years old and beginning to show it. Anyway I felt like a change and since the second one, commonly known as the 'Written off shitter' has mainly Tenni green bodywork, (I had a set, minus the front mudguard, on the shelf from another wreck.) I didn't want two green Grisos. That would of been weird.....:blink:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ScuRoo said:

(Stock Griso motor or the Mighty Scura engine…?)

For all those who may have missed this…
https://www.mgnoc.com/print/print_article_ask_the_wrench.html

I've read that before. I'll pore through it again this evening (I like Richardson's stuff, for the most part, and I'm not out of beer yet. :bier: )

It does always irk me that so many web references are not date stamped.  Sometimes, I just overlook the date. Any idea when this was written?

On 2/28/2022 at 2:48 PM, footgoose said:

.. I want the wire spoke wheels.. They look the part

Amen

• Like 1

I have both wire and alloy wheels. The wire wheels are heavier and prone to leakage. Also despite all the cooing over the Griso being so 'Retro' and therefore benefiting stylistically from wire wheels I personally think it is bollocks. It's the closest thing they've produced to a 'Modern' motorbike and doesn't need to be hampered by wire wheels!

That said my opinion has changed. At first I thought wire wheels would look great. It was only with time I changed my mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Stelvio has wire wheels, and I've had a little difficulty with air leakage, but I started running Ride-On balancer and sealant. Wire wheels are better for off road as they will bend more before breaking - which should not be a consideration for most Grisos.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Good question.

Since I own both, Mighty Scura and a GRiSO 8V, I’d say from personal experience they are similar but different.

I’ve been very satisfied with the GRiSO for all the regular Moto Guzzi reasons. I like the look of the spoke wheels. It seems that the spokes have bedded in and will maintain tire pressure from month to month with minimal service requirements. The motive unit feels better with the more mileage I put on it. Handles nice, to me. I’ve installed a Nitron rear shock that seems to match the forks better therefore smoothing out the ride. The GRiSO is a work in progress for sure. All good, I’m happy there.

Mighty Scura is still kinda new to me as I’ve only about 500ish miles on it. For sure it’s a Guzzi. For sure I like it. It goes, turns and stops like it should. The back end does seem to want to come around braking into corners, it could just be me. Dunno. Other than that it’s go man go. No issues with the motive unit. Very punchy, shifts smooth and crisp.

I’m usually a big fan of newer is better. In this case Old Tech is still getting it done.

• Like 3