Which years/models of V11 Sport/Cafe/LeMans had. 6 speed gearbox?

VtwinStorm

I've been on several sites and I'm getting conflicting info. Some claim a 5 speed, others a 6 speed.

Was there a transition year/model? I also understand that the 6 speed is the one to have: smoother shifts, more robust, just a better experience overall?

Forgive any errors or assumptions on my part please. My area of expertise is Desmodue Ducatis. I'm learning about Guzzi v twins, and the more I read, hear (YouTube videos with exhaust notes), the more I'm falling in love. I'm so seduced by the V11 Sport and LeMans. I have to get one! I just want to avoid the most problems that I can (speedo/do/tach cables failing, black engine paint flaking, other things).

Thank you all. I'm really learning to understand why Guzzis are so special.

• Like 1

The simplest answer to this question is the 6 speed didn't exist until the 1999 V11 Sport. Everything before that was either a 4 or 5 speed for a Guzzi twin. All the V11 Sport/Lemans series had a 6 speed

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, all V11 [edit: Spine Frame] models (1999-2005) have the 6speeder. Earlier "Spine Frame" Moto Guzzi (1992-1998), Daytona, Sport 1100, 1100 Sport-i, and Centauro all have the earlier 5 speed.

Gotta love Lucky Phil's "simplest answer" . . .:thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, docc said:

So, all V11 models (1999-2005) have the 6speeder. Earlier "Spine Frame" Moto Guzzi (1992-1998), Daytona, Sport 1100, 1100 Sport-i, and Centauro all have the earlier 5 speed.

Gotta love Lucky Phil's "simplest answer" . . .:thumbsup:

It has to be simple docc cause I don't do complicated anymore:)

Ciao

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

It has to be simple docc cause I don't do complicated anymore:)

Ciao

After reading your OHC 4v 1000cc conversion, I can understand why! What a build! Looks factory, my man.

Thank you all for your answers.

Can't wait to get a V11! They are pure class.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VtwinStorm said:

After reading your OHC 4v 1000cc conversion, I can understand why! What a build! Looks factory, my man.

Thank you all for your answers.

Can't wait to get a V11! They are pure class.

Thanks, my aim was to produce something that looked "factory"

Ciao 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps I'm overthinking the conflicting information, but not all "V11" are "SpineFrames" (what this site is dedicated to).  There are the cruiser-style V11 EV/California/Jackal/Bassa/Stone/Titanium that all use the 5 speed.

All of the SpineFrame models use the 6 speed (a gearbox that was used only in this series. 6 speed gearboxes after 2005 are not the same):

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, docc said:

Perhaps I'm overthinking the conflicting information, but not all "V11" are "SpineFrames" (what this site is dedicated to).  There are the cruiser-style V11 EV/California/Jackal/Bassa/Stone/Titanium that all use the 5 speed.

All of the SpineFrame models use the 6 speed (a gearbox that was used only in this series. 6 speed gearboxes after 2005 are not the same):

Yes docc, I thought of that angle and hence the " All the V11 Sport/Lemans series" in my first post. Why does it need to be so hard:) Why did they call all those cruiser things V11 as well, they already had a damn name.

Ciao

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yes docc, I thought of that angle and hence the " All the V11 Sport/Lemans series" in my first post. Why does it need to be so hard:) Why did they call all those cruiser things V11 as well, they already had a damn name.

Ciao

I honestly cannot figure out the Guzzi "cruiser-thing" nomenclature at all. But we won't sort that out here. Only a few years back, the V11 commonality came to our attention in that this subforum, Technical Topics, is subtitled " V11 only ", yet it really it is > SpineFrame V11 only <

Apparently the cruiser bikes technically have a "V11" motor, albeit not in the same sporting tune of the SpineFrame models.

Perhaps this is part of the source of confusion @VtwinStorm is finding. There is also the matter of other sites and posters not having the depth of knowledge, expertise, and experience regarding the V11 Le Mans/Sport embodied here.

I've [paraphrased] this before, "The world's foremost expert on the Spine Frame V11 Moto Guzzi are us."  :thumbsup:  :nerd::luigi:  :mg:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Honestly docc I wouldn't know one cruiser model from the next as I've never taken an interest. When I read Dave Richardsons book I had to keep looking on the internet to get an image of all the various V11 cruiser things he kept referring to. Older stuff up to our bikes I can visualise and know something of but the V11 non sports series are just a black hole to me. Same as small blocks, all horrible it's just a matter of which is more horrible than the other.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, let's not call them "horrible" (like many of the small block motors proved to be). Just not the focus of this forum and a sorry source of confusion for a new guy trying to decipher the "V11" terminology and fitment

Sorry Phil..I really enjoy riding mine...They actually are a lot of fun and handle much better than you would expect!:bier:

IMG_6309.JPG

• Like 3

Just a follow-on post for the OP @VtwinStorm to clarify the frame references. Your Ducati have "trellis" frames, if I have that right? Moto Guzzi V-twins before the "Spine Frame" had variations of tubular "cradle" frames referred to as "Loop Frames" and "Tonti Frames" until the very sporting Moto Guzzi Daytona was introduced in 1992. The "Tonti" cradle frame remained for the "V11 cruiser" models along with the 5 speed gearbox.

From 1992 through 1998 sporting "SpineFrames" (Daytona, Sport 1100, 1100 Sport-i, and Centauro) used the 5 speed gearbox. As Lucky Phil stated, when the 1999 V11 Sport was introduced, the first Guzzi 6speeder was born and used throughout the range. Yes, they can be set up very sweetly and suit the aggressive gearing of the V11sport/LeMans models nicely.

For reference, @VtwinStorm, here is the exposed frame of an early (1999-2001) "short"/RedFrame. V11 LeMans/Sport/etc spine frames from 2002-2005 are longer/differ slightly.

IMG_2764.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, docc said:

Just a follow-on post for the OP @VtwinStorm to clarify the frame references. Your Ducati have "trellis" frames, if I have that right? Moto Guzzi V-twins before the "Spine Frame" had variations of tubular "cradle" frames referred to as "Loop Frames" and "Tonti Frames" until the very sporting Moto Guzzi Daytona was introduced in 1992. The "Tonti" cradle frame remained for the "V11 cruiser" models along with the 5 speed gearbox.

From 1992 through 1998 sporting "SpineFrames" used the 5 speed gearbox. As Lucky Phil stated, when the 1999 V11 Sport was introduced, the first Guzzi 6speeder was born and used throughout the range. Yes, they can be set up very sweetly and suit the aggressive gearing of the V11sport/LeMans models nicely.

For reference, @VtwinStorm, here is the exposed frame of an early (1999-2001) "short"/RedFrame. V11 LeMans/Sport/etc spine frames from 2002-2005 are longer/differ slightly.

IMG_2764.JPG

Like my Ducati 900SSes, she looks great unclothed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1