Which years/models of V11 Sport/Cafe/LeMans had. 6 speed gearbox?

VtwinStorm

5 minutes ago, pete roper said:e "Make a noise like wheelbarrows fornicating" noise when selecting first at a standstill.

Wow. Well, that’s a new one. I better sneak out and look around the yard some night and see what them ‘barrrows are up to!

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 1:20 AM, pete roper said:

All the smallblocks used very similar gearboxes right up until the advent of the V7-II in 2015/16, (From memory?). The Smallblock six speed was a huge improvement over the five speed which is unsurprising as it was a gearbox from a very different, and distant, time.

The big block five speed, especially if used in conjunction with a heavy flywheel, does NOT liked to be hurried. Even if shifted with sympathy it still makes a nose like someone dropping a brick in a bucket. This can be improved by correctly shimming the shift drum but even then it will remain ponderous compared to any of the *Modern* six speed boxes.

A well set up four shaft box from a V11 is a glorious thing, they can be almost Suzuki like, which is a compliment. The later CARC six speeds are still a good box and are seemingly unbreakable but still suffer the "Make a noise like wheelbarrows fornicating" noise when selecting first at a standstill.

I think my five speed T3 may have been shimmed (by Sean via Bobby D whose bike it is) as there is no clunking, but she does not like to be rushed.  It’s a one and two and three and four etc. dance, which is fine for a spirited loper, but the big block six speed on the V11 era Is good, plus you can add the LuckyPhil/Chuck upgrade lever, and get it sorted and shimmed. How is a shimmed or otherwise enhanced V11 six speed? Any details and testimonials to share?

There is no drum to be shimmed on the four shafter as the selector forks are moved by  geared cam plates. If you have the cover off, for spring replacement for example, it's worth de-burring the grooves the forks run in. That tends to help quicken up and smooth the selection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took the V10 for a ride the other day after all my riding lately being 2 up on the Royal Enfield 650 which has quite a nice easy shifting gearbox. The ride on the Guzzi reminded me how good the Guzzi 6 speeder was shifting. Feels nice and tight and precise as opposed to the RE which is direct and has a mechanical feel but looser. I still think the RAM lightweight clutch is a giant leap forward with regards to Guzzi 6 speed gearbox operation.

Ciao   

• Like 5

And here is the exposed frame of a 2003 Sport, it’s slightly longer than the earlier red frame (@ 25 mm from memory)F027531F-15B9-4597-A4A4-EAE28BB01222.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Guzzimax said:

And here is the exposed frame of a 2003 Sport, it’s slightly longer than the earlier red frame (@ 25 mm from memory)F027531F-15B9-4597-A4A4-EAE28BB01222.jpeg

Let's keep the posts safe for work. 😆

Yum...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Rox Lemans said:

Funny, I thought all the V11 Sport variants were 6 speed. EV11s were 5. 

Your 01 is a 5 speed? 

This is correct. 

Whose "01 is a 5 speed" ??

2 hours ago, docc said:

This is correct. 

Whose "01 is a 5 speed" ??

I'm a bit lost here docc but you could put a V11 engine in a Centauro along with the seat frame and bodywork and come up with a 5 speed V11 Sport. Forks, instruments and bevel box would be a little different as well but it would kinda look like a V11 Sport.

Ciao

34 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Or you could just do what this plank did to an 1100 Sport-I!

Be careful. Your gorge will rise!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144161187663?hash=item2190ad274f:g:w1QAAOSwHvthHgrz

I just vomited in my mouth:) It does however serve a useful purpose, that being to any budding motorcycle designer/customizers. Here's the LOW bar:)

Ciao 

• Like 1