IGNORED

Alternator/(generator?) not charging

Purloined

Normally it's just a voltage regulator. Plug and go. 

But with both of mine regardless I'll get 2 years on a battery between the battery starting a high compression motor, the heat of Arizona sapping the battery and the Luigi (Lucus's Italian cousin) electrics. 

My Triumph Bonnevilles were the same way. 

And mind you these bikes are 20 years old now. Vibrations rattling solder points, etc.  

My Scura needs a battery after 2 years. Got exactly 2 years, 2 weeks out of the Yuasa. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Dunno if this will be any use, but I stumbled across a thread on WG about a similar issue with a Cali

Pretty certain it's the same system and in there is a schematic from Roy with suggestions on how to test said Reg/Rec (but you'd need a scope).

Useful thing to "squirrel" away, even if it's just to take to an Auto Electrician if you were going to ask him to take a look at the Reg/Rec

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=111896.0

7 hours ago, Rox Lemans said:

Normally it's just a voltage regulator. Plug and go. 

But with both of mine regardless I'll get 2 years on a battery between the battery starting a high compression motor, the heat of Arizona sapping the battery and the Luigi (Lucus's Italian cousin) electrics. 

My Triumph Bonnevilles were the same way. 

And mind you these bikes are 20 years old now. Vibrations rattling solder points, etc.  

My Scura needs a battery after 2 years. Got exactly 2 years, 2 weeks out of the Yuasa. 

Ouch 2 years out a battery, guess that's the price you pay living somewhere you get good weather and can ride a bit.

I'll get 8 years at least out a battery like an Odessey, but with the weather here in Jockland most of the time the bikes are simply sheltering from the rain.

Been a long time since I rode owned a Triumph, but their charging systems were even worse. Seem to recall that massive Zener with all the cooling fins sticking out the triple tree. More than one ocassion I was left trying to make it somewhere in the dark on the side/parking light when both filaments blew in the H4? thanks to Uncle Joe. I was young in those days and had other things on my mind. A dodgy headlight wasn't going to get in the way of a night with the g/f (how times change).

Not knocking older Triumph's though, they were/are great bikes, Bonnies and Tigers especially, simple and super fun.

John

• Thanks 1