Speedo/Odo replacement

Stinkywheels

I'm new to MG and of course speedo/odo packed up. It's an 02 Scura. The angle drive seems to be the culprit, I managed to find another, I'm guessing it won't last either. Needle was bouncing around quite a bit, odo reset knob is missing. Looks pretty grim as to replacing it. I stink at electrics. I have some Veglia gauges from my Ducati stash, the diameter seems close, gauge face is white, only yellow and black wire, 60 degree angle on back of gauge. It's a 160 instead of 140 though. Could this be a viable option? For some reason, Ducatis don't seem to have speedo issues as badly as the V11 Veglias so. There seem to be a lot of them on ebay for decent prices.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stinkywheels said:

I'm new to MG and of course speedo/odo packed up. It's an 02 Scura. The angle drive seems to be the culprit, I managed to find another, I'm guessing it won't last either. Needle was bouncing around quite a bit, odo reset knob is missing. Looks pretty grim as to replacing it. I stink at electrics. I have some Veglia gauges from my Ducati stash, the diameter seems close, gauge face is white, only yellow and black wire, 60 degree angle on back of gauge. It's a 160 instead of 140 though. Could this be a viable option? For some reason, Ducatis don't seem to have speedo issues as badly as the V11 Veglias so. There seem to be a lot of them on ebay for decent prices.

If you peruse the forum, you will find a few threads discussing this sorry issue.

Just above, I posted a link to a US based Veglia/ITI instruments' wizard.

For you, since both speedo and odo are not working, it may be the angle drive. People with better experience in these matters will chime in I am sure.

• Like 1

Thanks. I was going to call him. I emailed Palo Alto and they said good luck, no parts. I also thought I might send Joel a Duc speedo with mine and see if it might hold up better. The only physical difference is no chrome bezel, and this one has odo reset on a cable.

8 minutes ago, p6x said:

If you peruse the forum, you will find a few threads discussing this sorry issue.

Just above, I posted a link to a US based Veglia/ITI instruments' wizard.

For you, since both speedo and odo are not working, it may be the angle drive. People with better experience in these matters will chime in I am sure.

Since the angle drive was screwed anyway, I took it apart. Very crappy gears, output gear was cracked, input had lots of casting flash. I have a friend that is a jeweler and has experience casting intricate fiddly stuff. If it was possible to get these drives apart gracefully and hand finish and lube them, they might last longer.

• Like 1

That would be amazing that someone could build durable parts for those angle drives.

Here is one of many threads about the angle drives, although I don’t think it includes an image of epoxying the end plug.

Okay, here is an image of the metal disc plug JBWelded in. They are bad about leaving the party without asking. And taking your one-and-only internal drive gear with it . . .

IMG_0324.JPG

• Like 1

That last image is in this thread where it is noted that the housing tends to walk off the brass insert that anchors it to the gearbox. They can be easily pressed back together in a vice. One more contributor to the speedometer needle's St. Vitus Dance . . .

IMG_0312.JPG