Mistral pipes and injection tuning

BillyB

Hello, I looked around the forum and don't see anything recent regarding this (apologies if I missed it) - I'm looking at replacing the stock pipes on my 03 Lemans, mainly for better sound and to drop a little weight - if the bike runs better as a result that would be great. Does anyone know if there's significant differences in the flow between the various Mistral slip-ons? I like the looks of the conical mufflers better than the canisters... Also are there significant benefits to any of the aftermarket crossovers on a stock motor?

As far as tuning the injection, I saw some pointers on buying a harness and plugging that into a laptop yada yada - is that still the best way to get a good tune? My bike has pod filters in place of the airbox (it came that way - I'm aware of the flow limitations of pod filters vs. a well designed airbox) so my injection is probably already not correct - looking for options here. I'm near Cincinnati if anyone is within a few hours who could help with the tune. Thanks all!

You and your LeMans are going to love each other even more with some sonorous canisters and diligent tuning. The cabling allows you to connect guzzidiag, but you will also need a quality voltmeter to set the TPS, and a way to balance the throttle bodies. Details here:

MySport, with the (likely Mistral made) Moto Guzzi "for off-road use" accessory canisters, has done fabulously on the Decent-tune up and factory map, factory cross-over. The pods will cause you more difficulties, but not impossible. Get some canisters you like the looks of (I've never heard a V11 I didn't love the sound of), and use the Decent Tune-up as a baseline.

Here is a pretty thorough cross-over evaluation:

• Like 4

Thanks for the pointers docc, I'm ordering the cables for the Guzzidiag connection. MG is out of stock on the Mistral slip-ons, actually it doesn't seem like they keep any of them in stock for older models like the V11 which makes sense for a small company. Does anyone know of a different source for Mistral products that might have them in stock? I just sent an inquiry on the Mistral site to see if they sell direct to the US or not.

On 8/20/2021 at 1:51 PM, docc said:

You and your LeMans are going to love each other even more with some sonorous canisters and diligent tuning. The cabling allows you to connect guzzidiag, but you will also need a quality voltmeter to set the TPS, and a way to balance the throttle bodies. Details here:

MySport, with the (likely Mistral made) Moto Guzzi "for off-road use" accessory canisters, has done fabulously on the Decent-tune up and factory map, factory cross-over. The pods will cause you more difficulties, but not impossible. Get some canisters you like the looks of (I've never heard a V11 I didn't love the sound of), and use the Decent Tune-up as a baseline.

Here is a pretty thorough cross-over evaluation:

What a sexy LeMans.

Nevermind on the alternate Mistral US retailer - Mistral said it's only MGcycle. That's fine, I've always had good luck there so I ordered them and they'll be here in a couple months. Looking forward to them!

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 2:21 AM, BillyB said:

Hello, I looked around the forum and don't see anything recent regarding this (apologies if I missed it) - I'm looking at replacing the stock pipes on my 03 Lemans, mainly for better sound and to drop a little weight - if the bike runs better as a result that would be great. Does anyone know if there's significant differences in the flow between the various Mistral slip-ons? I like the looks of the conical mufflers better than the canisters... Also are there significant benefits to any of the aftermarket crossovers on a stock motor?

As far as tuning the injection, I saw some pointers on buying a harness and plugging that into a laptop yada yada - is that still the best way to get a good tune? My bike has pod filters in place of the airbox (it came that way - I'm aware of the flow limitations of pod filters vs. a well designed airbox) so my injection is probably already not correct - looking for options here. I'm near Cincinnati if anyone is within a few hours who could help with the tune. Thanks all!

Buy yourself a second hand airbox and refit it, they can be had for around $100. The mistral mufflers won't require any ecu re mapping at least not with the std airbox and filter. The best cross over by far is the Stucchi but they can only be had second hand now. Another option is from here. It's the same basic design as the Stucchi. They may just sell you a crossover. Make sure it's compatible with the std headers if you dont go for the whole system.

https://shop.daes-mototec.com/de/Motor/Auspuffanlagen-10/DAeS-Auspuffanlage-konisch-D50x1-218-271.html

Ciao

• Like 1