No header gaskets?!?

orangem2

+1 with fotoguzzi. They kinda become part of the head. You probably don't need to disturb them at all.

Yet, exhaust leaks (even shockingly tiny ones) can contribute significantly to the V11 cough/stumble/hiccup aggravation.

"Grooming" all the exhaust junctions and hangers in steps with a "star" pattern is good medicine.

I still seem to recall that they are metal discs that adhere to the head. I've never seem mine, either. Pretty sure if they were completely missing, the exhaust leak right there at the head would be horrendous.

We'll have to stand by for the experienced wrenchers like @Lucky Phil and @pete roper to put this all in (colorful) perspective . . . :nerd:  :luigi:  :grin:

1 hour ago, docc said:

I still seem to recall that they are metal discs that adhere to the head. I've never seem mine, either. Pretty sure if they were completely missing, the exhaust leak right there at the head would be horrendous.

We'll have to stand by for the experienced wrenchers like @Lucky Phil and @pete roper to put this all in (colorful) perspective . . . :nerd:  :luigi:  :grin:

Yes docc its a crush gasket and they always stick in the head because as they crush the expand radially and jam in the port. Together with the carbon build up it's often almost impossible to see them in there. Scratch around with a small pick or screwdriver and you'll find it then lever it out.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess when I replace my original valve cover gaskets, I should throw in an coupl-o' these.

Do they actually get leaky or ever really go missing as @orangem2 is concerned about?

26 minutes ago, docc said:

I guess when I replace my original valve cover gaskets, I should throw in an coupl-o' these.

Do they actually get leaky or ever really go missing as @orangem2 is concerned about?

Well plenty of people dont bother changing them without an issue. It's not only about the seal but also the way the whole system mounts up. As you can imagine a slight change in the amount and angle of the crush on the gasket makes a distinct difference 3 feet away at the end of the header pipe. So when you fit up the whole system the crush gasket is designed to help accommodate the tolerances. So it will almost certainly crush maybe .5mm more on one side than the other which is what its designed to do. That .5mm can be 5 or 6 mm at the other end of the pipe.

On an old system thats been fitted for years and settled in you can get away with reuse because it just slots back into it position usually but if you fit a new cross over or cans then you need new crush seals. It's not a bad idea to change them even with an old system if you have it off esp after 10 years or so.

Ciao 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've never had the header pipes off my V11, but the first time I removed the headers from my first Tonti round fin, I was shocked to see that the exhaust gasket was missing. I even rooted around with a thin screw driver, but there was none there, I checked and double checked a few times.

I put in new exhaust gaskets and it seemed fine, but I continually had problems with loosening header nuts and exhaust leaks.

About a year later, I read about other owners that had missed the exhaust gaskets, so the very next big service I double checked, and this time I actually dug in with a hooked dental style pick and sure enough, I dug out 2 gaskets on each side.

The OEM gasket was really baked in with smooth carbon, it appeared as one with the head, to my old eyes anyways,lol.

fwiw

good luck with it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 80CX100 said:

I've never had the header pipes off my V11, but the first time I removed the header from my first Tonti round fin, I was shocked to see that the exhaust gasket was missing. I even rooted around with a thin screw driver, but there was none there, I checked and double checked a few times.

I put in new exhaust gaskets and it seemed fine, but I continually had problems with loosening header nuts and exhaust leaks.

About a year later, I read about other owners that had missed the exhaust gaskets, so the very next big service I double checked, and this time I actually dug in with a hooked dental style pick and sure enough, I dug out 2 gaskets on each side.

The OEM gasket was really baked in with smooth carbon, it appeared as one with the head, to my old eyes anyways,lol.

fwiw

good luck with it

Yep

Ciao

• Like 1

Another double gasket casuality here on the Sporti

They really are difficult to spot and can be even harder to remove.

Dunno about the V11 but the Sporti and HiCam gaskets have different numbers, yet I find that the gaskets for both models will install on both bikes. I don't think that they can be that critical given I've seen none, one & two installed and also used Sporti gaskets (by mistake) on the HiCam and vice versa

My personal hate is if I need to remove the retaining studs, almost everytime one of 4 snaps, then it's head off time.

• Confused 1