V11 Rubber (Tyre Topic)

Guzzimax

It’s getting time to replace the Pirellis that my 1999 silver V11 is riding on. This has lead me into browsing what brand/spec of tyres I should choose

Both my black framed V11s with 180 rears have Michelin Pilot Road 2 sport touring tyres, and I’m happy with their performance, although Michelin now offer newer versions

Does anyone have any recommendations for the red framed V11s with 170 rears?

My Greenie has Bridgestones, and I feel that they are more touring than sport, the rubber seems harder and takes longer to warm up

yesterday I was taking to a guy I know with a 2015 V7 II Special originally fitted with Pirelli Sport Demons (bias ply). Hated them, said white lines and poor surfaces unsettled them very badly. Changed to Avon Roadriders & reckoned it’s transformed his V7 handling

Now I know that V11s with 17 inch rims would have more modern radial rubber compared to a V7, but whats people’s recommendation for rubber for a red frame with a 170 rear? 

• Like 1

My red frame came to me with Pirelli Diablo Rosso II and they work good for me. Will likely replace with Dunlop Sportmax which I have on my LeMans and FJ09, or something else from the western world. Agree with you on the Bridgestones.

• Like 1

For one, I would go to a 160 on that RedFrame's 4.5 inch rim.

Having run so many different brands on my RedFrame, and stupid number of Pirelli while they "evolved", I have adopted the Bridgestone T31 Battlax of late. Sport-touring? Sure.  Yet, I am finding them far more forgiving toward their end-of-use. By the time the Pirelli "looked" suspect, they were gone. The T31 have a more forgiving wear period at that end point, in my recent experience.

I'm on my 33rd rear tire (25th front).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I prefer the 170 Dunlop Roadsmarts.  They cost less than Pirellis, last longer and grip equally well.  I even run them on my Ducati 939 Supersport.  

My V11 Sport just ate up a 170 size Michelin Pilot Road.  After that, no way I'll spend for a Pirelli or Michelin.  

My Ducati had Diablo Rosso III, they were great but didn't last.  Dunlops are great, last longer and cheaper <Guzzi content>.

• Like 1

I run the Rosso Corsa Diablo II's on all my sport bikes ( better than III's imo)  and love them...but I mostly do just tight up and down hill twisties in the mountains near my house and it doesn't rain very often here and I don't go for milage..If I were to run anything else though it would be the Bridgestone T31 Battlax, I do run Bridgestone tires on my California and they feel very good. ...some of my friends around here who I feel are very good riders in the twisties and who also rack up the miles on longer trips  swear by the Bridgestone T31 Battlax ..I will most likely try those next.

The 2017 Ducati Supersport S I bought last year came with Pirelli Angel GT2 tires with only 600 miles on them. I went on a 1600 mile tour in West Virginia and Kentucky (mostly twisty roads). I was pretty shocked to see the high amount of scalloping that had developed by day 2. Mind you, I checked my tire pressure every morning (34 front / 37 rear). By the end of the trip they were squared off and scalloped - basically done after less than 2500 miles. Grip is great in hot weather, but falls off significantly below 50°F.
Never again will I buy Pirelli for sport touring (although they make great tires for the track).
My V11 LeMans (and VFR800 before that) have Dunlop Roadsmart 3s, and I couldn't be happier with them. The dual compound offers great corner grip, and excellent even wear and durability. A+ in my book.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, 4corsa said:

The 2017 Ducati Supersport S I bought last year came with Pirelli Angel GT2 tires with only 600 miles on them. I went on a 1600 mile tour in West Virginia and Kentucky (mostly twisty roads). I was pretty shocked to see the high amount of scalloping that had developed by day 2. Mind you, I checked my tire pressure every morning (34 front / 37 rear). By the end of the trip they were squared off and scalloped - basically done after less than 2500 miles. Grip is great in hot weather, but falls off significantly below 50°F.
Never again will I buy Pirelli for sport touring (although they make great tires for the track).. 
My V11 LeMans (and VFR800 before that) have Dunlop Roadsmart 3s, and I couldn't be happier with them. The dual compound offers great corner grip, and excellent even wear and durability. A+ in my book.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I have '17 SS 939, it came with Pirelli Diablo Rosso III.  The original tires lasted about 1000 miles more than the non-Ducati branded Rosso III.  They handled very nicely but the replacements didn't last as long (4500 vs 3500 miles rear).  Getting the Ducati branded tires are only a few dollars more but need to be special ordered.   I finally went to Dunlop RS III/IV which handle as well and are much cheaper.  I have been running RS's on my V11 for several years prior.   

BTW- the Owner's Manual calls for 36/36 lb air pressure.  This is the only bike that I know that carried the same pressure front and rear.  

I guess we're on two boards, this and the 939SS board.

• Like 1

I recently put a set of Michelin Road 5 on my ‘01 red frame V11 Sport. They seem pretty good, stable and sure handling. I am a recreational sport rider and commute with this bike. The Road 5 is supposed to be a very good wet weather tire, which is not much of a factor here in Southern California, but might be good for you. As docc has mentioned, I went with a 160 rear tire. I know that the specs for the bike call for a 170, and that’s what the bike had on it, but with the 160 the bike feel a bit lighter and turns in nicely, with no loss of stability, more sure-footed and spritely. I am not sure if this tire is offered in a 170 rear.

• Like 2

I think most all the current tires from the various brands are quality tires. It is more like flavors of ice cream than it is which tire is better.

I have used a few different brands and model tires on our Guzzi's. They have all been good. I can't remember the last "bad" tire I tried, perhaps a Bridgestone BT45? It was OK, but I really didn't care for it. It seemed like the rubber was too hard and lacked grip.

I would rather have a tire that wore out too soon than had a lack of grip. We also used to have issues with tires not heating up fast enough. But that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. Progress.

I do agree, if you have a 4.5" rear wheel go with a 160. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

I think most all the current tires from the various brands are quality tires. It is more like flavors of ice cream than it is which tire is better.

I have used a few different brands and model tires on our Guzzi's. They have all been good. I can't remember the last "bad" tire I tried, perhaps a Bridgestone BT45? It was OK, but I really didn't care for it. It seemed like the rubber was too hard and lacked grip.

I would rather have a tire that wore out too soon than had a lack of grip. We also used to have issues with tires not heating up fast enough. But that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. Progress.

I do agree, if you have a 4.5" rear wheel go with a 160. 

The BT45 was a bias-ply/cross-ply tire.  Now upgraded to BT46, it is reputedly excellent for the earlier Guzzis.

Am pondering something slightly more modern than the Road 3s I have now. A distinctly rounded profile that does not seem completely happy on a long-frame.

• Like 1

Indeed..the BT 46 works really well on my 1999 Bassa...one of the few front and rear matching tires available in the required size for these type early bikes. I'm not tracking it...lol:race:

• Like 1