Moto Guzzi V100

biesel

https://www.moto.it/news/moto-guzzi-v100-sport-tourer-motore-a-v-raffreddato-ad-acqua-120-cavalli-scoop.html

On the technical side we have the news that will make the happiness of those who love the Italian eagle. The new Moto Guzzi V100 marks the birth of the new engine platform.
In fact, the transversal V-engine with liquid cooling arrives, which is necessary in view of the future anti-pollution regulations, which are increasingly severe. The Italian company looks to the future with important investments that will lead to an expansion of the offer. The new 1000 engine, which on this version could already develop a power of about 120 horsepower, will in fact be used on maxienduro models, but also sporty ones, given the important performance and low weight. And it is easy to assume that the new platform lends itself to the development of different displacements, both larger and smaller. Without obviously renouncing the shaft drive.

On the new Moto Guzzi V100 we will certainly find the most advanced electronic controls (traction, ABS, cornering), which have already been developed by the group on recent Aprilia and Moto Guzzi models.
The wait at this point is very high, but we bet there will be little to wait. Official photos were being taken today. The Moto Guzzi V100 is therefore ready and will be a star of EICMA.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Looks promising. Would love to see a Griso replacement. Or what would be even better would be the reincarnated 1000S and a LeMans., 

Just throwing it out there.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, biesel said:

In fact, the transversal V-engine with liquid cooling arrives, which is necessary in view of the future anti-pollution regulations, which are increasingly severe.

Once Guzzi goes to from air to liquid cooling, there is no need anymore to have the jugs sticking out in the breeze.  At this point, the Ducati model of a longitudinal V-twin becomes much more useful in compacting and consolidating mass.  Too bad, really, but MG had decades to perfect the transverse, air-cooled V-twin after the V11 and booted it.  The liquid-cooled MG will be the last, feeble gasp of the marque, alas.  JMHO, YMMV.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

there is no need anymore to have the jugs sticking out in the breeze

There *is* a need, however, to keep the automotive type clutch, driveshaft, and rear drive. That will make it recognizably Guzzi.. IMHO. :grin:

• Like 5

If you go to an L twin format why keep the shaft?

Of course it's doable but a transverse crank is much better suited to a chain drive layout.

I couldn't really care if they do or not as I'm not in the market for a new bike.

I may yet purchase a V11, a Centauro or a Griso, but nothing I've seen recently does much for me, but I'm still in the last centruy and want to stay there

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Water-cooled BMW boxer engines have been flying in the wind for several years now.  The discontinuance of the airheads was not the last gasp of BMW.  I'm surprised Moto Guzzi made it so long with air cooled engines.

It's all in the execution... so I am in a "wait and see" mode. But I suspect whatever they are building has contributed to pushing off the 100-year anniversary celebration so they can release it then. It will be the start of "trying to go out of business for the next 100 years."

To take the next logical step... an electric Moto Guzzi has to be on the drawing board somewhere. There really is no reason make an electric motor look like a transverse twin.

• Like 2

I just hope it's something more ambitious than another 2 valve pushrod chuffer with a water jacket.

I too can't believe that they'd invest too much in a redundant technology and no matter what replaces them fossil fuels have to go, no matter what angry old white men say.

• Like 1

The wait seems to be almost over Ahab. Fantastic!

Exciting? Hmm, I dunno.

The silhouette on this is a little erm, well maybe I should wait a bit...

I refuse to say boring, but it does look a fairly conservative effort - & aren’t those forks appearing a mite spindly?

But I suppose it’s not about the introductory packaging - this looks like it might just be the test mule with what appears to be a TT tank.

Can’t wait to properly see/hear - view the torque specs - reverse spinning shaft setup, radiator etc.

Looks like we’ll wait for the next wave...

Needs... Guzzi Power!!

THE CENTENARY ENGINE

In addition to the type of motorcycle, the engine is also intriguing. A new model to celebrate Moto Guzzi's 100th anniversary was announced last March by the president of the Piaggio Group, Roberto Colaninno, but at first glance it shouldn't be that. In fact, Colaninno had spoken of a surprising bike in terms of technology and performance and should not be represented by a crossover.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/m.gpone.com/it/2021/08/26/moto-news/moto-guzzi-v100-foto-spia-della-crossover-da-120-cv.html%3famp

I think the transverse layout still makes sense today. Makes it easy to service (ie. check the valves) and you don't have the centrifugal force from the crank interfering with you handling. 

After being in the clutch on my V11 more times than I care, I hope the move the clutch forward for this, though it's not a deal breaker. 

It looks promising, and exactly the kind of bike I like (sport tourers). I really hope they make a truly modern platform, and not just a watercooled version of their small-block as Pete said. 

• Like 1

I've been trying to find clearer pics from the side but if I squint and hold my tongue at precisely the right angle it does look as though it might have an exhaust pipe coming out of the side of the head and if it does that would indicate a DOHC layout which would be promising. There's enough height in the tank for one or more central throttlebodies as well which would mean downdraft induction and the possibility of modern power outputs.

As I've said I won't be buying one, I'm happy with my current fleet, they'll see me out. If it is a genuinely *New* motive unit though I'll be thrilled.

• Like 2