Moto Guzzi V100

biesel

To each his own. Even my Honda lawnmower has a 2-speed manual with spur gears. Sounds cool running up and down through the gears. Next is an Akrapovic can in place of the spark arrestor. 

A CVT would make it a Moto Scooti. No thanks.  In any event, I've bought my last bike.

1 hour ago, pete roper said:

I've been trying to find clearer pics from the side but if I squint and hold my tongue at precisely the right angle it does look as though it might have an exhaust pipe coming out of the side of the head and if it does that would indicate a DOHC layout which would be promising. There's enough height in the tank for one or more central throttlebodies as well which would mean downdraft induction and the possibility of modern power outputs.

As I've said I won't be buying one, I'm happy with my current fleet, they'll see me out. If it is a genuinely *New* motive unit though I'll be thrilled.

Well Pete, if it doesn't have throttle bodies between the V with the headers on the opposite side and DOHC then they truly are Muppets. I don't think they're Muppets.

Ciao  

• Like 1

Actually better than I expected. A lot of mixed styling cues. I can see lots of of Centauro, some really weird throwbacks to the V75 of the early '80's, (A 750 version of the Lario motor. It was awful. We had one bloke buy one from the shop I worked at in London and it dropped a valve in Reading on his way back to his home in Bristol! It didn't get 80 miles! Hope that isn't a portent!). I need to see more.

I don't like the bevelbox which is obviously styled on the BMW box and worst of all, no reactive drive! Just an enormously long swingarm! What the @#!#$# are they thinking!?!?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pete roper said:

What's wrong with CVT? I doubt it will but if they were building a tourer I'd be rapt with a CVT. Like my Mana on steroids!

The way I'm reading it the new engine will likely have chains to lift the valves instead of belts or pushrods. 

Piaggio can't be stupid enough to put a CVT on a Goose unless they're looking to bankrupt the brand. 110hp would be nice though. 

The fairing shape seems to draw styling cues from past LeMans models. They are totally gonna put a LeMans badge on a version of this bike.

I can easily see this bike with integrated luggage, since Piaggio's declared niche for Moto Guzzi is "Travel".

It seems the body work is a cover, and the tank will be an unpainted part underneath, which makes it a flexible platform (as CARC was) that can accommodate different wheels/tires, suspensions, and bodywork for Sport Touring vs Adventure Bike.

@pete roper do you mind explaining exactly what a reactive drive is and how you can tell this bike doesn't have it?

Just now, Scud said:

The fairing shape seems to draw styling cues from past LeMans models.

So it wasn't just me, I saw that and thought this at least from the side.

These were/are great bikes (I've got the engine and running gear of one in the Sfida 1000), but the styling.......................Honestly? :rolleyes:

CBG-Archive-Feature-2016-Moto-Guzzi-p108

• Like 1

I was thinking more of the next generation LeMans 1000, which has a larger, frame-mounted fairing.

9B5E9692-8EA3-492C-8D7D-822585E36478_1_1

But also note the smooth shapes, reminiscent of the V11 LeMans fairing. 

IMG_7040.jpg

• Like 1

The photo doesn't seem to match the beauty of any of the spineframe bikes.   Hopefully, we'll be pleasantly surprised when the bike is revealed.  

For me it's late to the party since I purchased my Ducati.  But I hope to get a test ride.  :grin:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scud said:

@pete roper do you mind explaining exactly what a reactive drive is and how you can tell this bike doesn't have it?

No torque arm from the bevelbox like the Spineframes or, in the case of the CARC bikes, the reactive bridge within the bevelbox. This works to separate the reactive forces of the drive, (As you accelerate/decelerate the pinion tries to climb up or down the crownwheel.) by delivering them directly to the frame. This means that to far greater degree than with a *Fixed* system the drive is separated from the suspension functions meaning a shaft drive bike will handle more like a proper motorbike. It wasn't so important when engines were only making 40-50 hp. Nowadays? Far more important. Looking at this thing there doesn't appear to be a reaction rod and the bevelbox is bolted solidly to the swingarm. The swingarm is very long which is another way of lessening torque reaction but cruder and less effective.

If you look at it holistically it's an interesting package. Seems cam drive is typical Piaggio/Aprilia with a chain to an idler shaft in the head and then the cams geared to the idler, (That is to a degree speculative but the circular *Plug* in the back of the head  looks like the idler shaft spindle plug on something like a Shiver or Caponord.)

Throttlebodies in the valley, side exit exhausts as you would have to have with a DOHC design. Downdraft induction means modern power outputs are possible at last. It still looks like the gearbox is behind the engine but there is no recognisable bell housing so maybe a wet multi plate clutch? Where it is positioned will be interesting.

Look, it's, at first glance, a lot better than I was expecting. I was genuinely afraid they were just going to throw a water jacket and an extra plug at the V85 motor which is a miserable little thing. This at least is a *Modern* engine. The styling is neither here nor there. This can be the basis for several platforms and models and Piaggio seem to be following the Aprilia lead established with the CARC bikes of launching the *New* product in a 'Plain Jane' model, (The Breva was the first CARC big block and its styling was not exactly eye catchingly beutiful!)

While I would of preferred something that started the move away from fossil fuel power this is to me the next best option. Will I be buying one? Hell no! I'm very happy with my current fleet and I'll be very surprised if when it's launched here it has a price tag under $25,000. Sorry, I'm not willing to shell out that sort of coin on what I see as a dirty, outdated technology. My current dirty, outdated technology will see me out and I don't owe a penny on it!

I do hope it is a raging success though and spawns many, prettier offshoots.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pete, I don't know about rear suspension but my '98 EV works fine in the corners.  Maybe it's because of the relative (low) power of the engine, the length or stiffness of the drive shaft, but it handles pretty well.  

• Like 1