Moto Guzzi V100

biesel

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

That's pretty much what Ducati use on their current MotoGP bike. An external large dia flywheel with adjustable/tuneable weights. There was a good view of it operating in the last GP when the fairing side panel flew off one of the Ducati's.

I was being snarky... but that is really interesting. Having had my Scura with lightweight flywheel and clutch components next to some others with the standard flywheel and clutch setup the difference is noticable. An adjustable weight flywheel would have huge advantages in setting up to ride different tracks. And an average street rider could pop the weights off for a sporty ride or track day, and put them back on for a long trip. Or I suppose the weight could be adjusted toward to center or the edge of the flywheel... I'm gonna have to go read up on that.

24 minutes ago, Scud said:

I was being snarky... but that is really interesting. Having had my Scura with lightweight flywheel and clutch components next to some others with the standard flywheel and clutch setup the difference is noticable. An adjustable weight flywheel would have huge advantages in setting up to ride different tracks. And an average street rider could pop the weights off for a sporty ride or track day, and put them back on for a long trip. Or I suppose the weight could be adjusted toward to center or the edge of the flywheel... I'm gonna have to go read up on that.

I guessed :) 

https://the-race.com/motogp/what-we-learned-from-ducatis-exposed-motogp-engine/

Ciao

• Like 1

BACC499B-A583-4A47-BE30-20B59CE837FC.jpeg

...until I realised it was all just a fantastical dream!!

Oh well, it was a rather nice breathless moment before continuing to reconcile myself with Mama Guzzi’s liquid blandness...

• Haha 2

On 8/31/2021 at 11:49 AM, ScuRoo said:

...until I realised it was all just a fantastical dream!!

Oh well, it was a rather nice breathless moment before continuing to reconcile myself with Mama Guzzi’s liquid blandness...

Hahahaha. Wouldn't you love to ride something like this.

Buy Yaiba Kusanagi CT-3X 3D Printing Model | Assembly + Action

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2021 at 8:19 PM, pete roper said:

Actually better than I expected. A lot of mixed styling cues. I can see lots of of Centauro, some really weird throwbacks to the V75 of the early '80's, (A 750 version of the Lario motor. It was awful. We had one bloke buy one from the shop I worked at in London and it dropped a valve in Reading on his way back to his home in Bristol! It didn't get 80 miles! Hope that isn't a portent!). I need to see more.

I don't like the bevelbox which is obviously styled on the BMW box and worst of all, no reactive drive! Just an enormously long swingarm! What the @#!#$# are they thinking!?!?

You know what Pete you might be wrong about the reactive arm. The devil is in the detail of course and it's a low res shot if that's your only reference but I wouldn't be surprised if that big round boss on the axis of the bevel box  situated on the outboard face of the arm is carrying a through axle and retainer that pivot/rotates in the arm along with the whole round bevel housing and the reaction rod is behind the main body of the arm.

Seems surprising they would return to the old pogo system on a new model.

Ciao  

5 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Until I see more and better pics I'm not ruling anything in or out.

Really need to see some exploded parts diagrams to see what's going on.

Yea, I didn't even consider it wouldn't be the reaction drive but looking at the image at that res it actually makes me think.

Ciao

I've been pondering what some forty-fifty years of the "bacon slicer" Guzzisiti must have thought of the BigBlock twin....

"What a bloated load of lard! Can you believe Moto Guzzi would make such a toad? There is certainly no future in this.  You can't even see the flywheel! And a ferkin' prop shaft! WTH?" 

:bbblll:  :angry2:   :vomit:

moto-guzzi-v7-ambassador.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Moto-Guzzi-Falcone-Sport-IVM-002.jpg&f=1

(Heh, well, they probably made some valid points. Time marches on . . .)

• Like 1

Honestly? That image looks like a ruse. Just a bunch of stitched-together whizzz that has no basis in reality.

Sure, sure, maybe Moto Guzzi/Piaggio will actually have something roadworthy in another two or three years?

I'm not holding my breath that there even be an EICMA this year.

• Like 4

On 8/27/2021 at 6:19 PM, pete roper said:

Actually better than I expected. A lot of mixed styling cues. I can see lots of of Centauro, some really weird throwbacks to the V75 of the early '80's, (A 750 version of the Lario motor. It was awful.

Yes true. There’s much in Guzzi’s annuals which can provide both experience & inspiration.

As we know - this isn’t the first liquid-cooled Guzzi design - you even had your pick of two models last offered for sale only some 25 years ago!

Maybe the latest V100 heads design & the liquid coolant chamber have taken its styling cues from the nowadays somewhat unsighted ...er, Custom!

Anyhow, that’s what I reckon. What do you think?

For those unfortunate few who aren’t familiar with the Custom (or 125C) here’s from Wikipedia: 

Moto Guzzi 125C or "125 Custom" is a motorcycle produced by the Italian company Moto Guzzi for ten years, from December 1985 to 1995.

In 1983, at the motor show in Milan, a new type of 125 engine was presented by the Guzzi-Benelli group, intended to replace the old 125 used on the small cars from Mandello born 10 years earlier.
The new engine featured innovations such as reed-regulated intake, separate lubrication, liquid cooling and anti-vibration countershaft crankshaft. The reason for the delay in using the engine is to be attributed to the excessive length of the tuning, which made it possible to use it only two years later on the 125C and 125TT (all terrain). In November 1985 the 125C was presented at the Milan motor show and, the following month, it was made available to the public.
The Guzzi, on the aforementioned motorcycle, tried to bring the characteristics of the "Yankee" style of the California (reflectors placed on the sides of the direction indicators, two-level saddle and teardrop fuel tank) within the reach of the youngest: a feat not exactly successful given that trace of this model has been almost completely lost: even in the Moto Guzzi historical museum in Mandello del Lario it is not possible to find one.

Let's all hope that whatever they do will not be driven by what they "think" the Americans will buy. What a formula for disaster that has been, historically.

Worse, yet, is this latest effort driven by the Chinese/Asian/Indian market?

Unknowable from down here in the wrench-trench. :luigi:B)<_<

• Like 2