Moto Guzzi V100

biesel

1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

My thinking too.  Might not be convenient for owners 300 miles from the dealer.  I know the Beemer RT requires the cams to come out for adjustment and the interval is 12k miles.  And it's not just skill for DIY-er, also need the shim kit.  I know that there is a national rental service available for the Ducati valve adjustment kit (not factory), with tools and consumables, and even video instructions.  I think the rental period is like 3-4weeks(?), the shipping, rental and consumable costs are deducted from the deposit.  

We have a local shim maker that makes all sorts of shims to order and has a large stock of many Ducati shims. If he doesn't stock it he'll make it for you. I had some shims made for the Daytona engine. He'll make valve shims for about 6 or 7 bucks each from memory. So if you can wait a week or less you can pull shims and have a the size you need made. I know people in the states that use him as well.

http://www.precisionshims.com.au/products/flat

Ciao 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some Guzzi/Piaggio marketing trickery. I assumed the new engine would use the BMW R1250 style clutch at the front of the engine and a jackshaft to drive the gearbox and Pete Roper mentioned it did also, not sure his sources or he assumed like I did. I was looking at this Guzzi PR image looking for the tell tale evidence on the front engine cover and noticed the image manipulation. Notice in the first image how the front engine cover has been digitally trimmed away compared to the second image to disguise the forward clutch design. look how the fwd engine cover in the second image is aligned transversely with the front edge of the header pipe, then look at the first image. 

Moto-Guzzi-V100-Mandello-Motor-0f84796b6e032d25.jpg

04-63ad14a7cc7c544c.jpg

13 minutes ago, docc said:

Does this mean a Guzzi that isn't built around its clutch?

And that this  Byzantine affair truly becomes a thing of the past?

IMG_2583.JPG.jpeg

Yep docc, say goodbye to crabbing the frame:) Well for the clutch at least.

Ciao

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Here's some Guzzi/Piaggio marketing trickery. I assumed the new engine would use the BMW R1250 style clutch at the front of the engine and a jackshaft to drive the gearbox and Pete Roper mentioned it did also, not sure his sources or he assumed like I did. I was looking at this Guzzi PR image looking for the tell tale evidence on the front engine cover and noticed the image manipulation. Notice in the first image how the front engine cover has been digitally trimmed away compared to the second image to disguise the forward clutch design. look how the fwd engine cover in the second image is aligned transversely with the front edge of the header pipe, then look at the first image. 

Moto-Guzzi-V100-Mandello-Motor-0f84796b6e032d25.jpg

04-63ad14a7cc7c544c.jpg

That is just incredibly bad deep etching on the image.

Chris (retired graphic artist with 40 years experience fixing up rubbish work just like this.)

Quite honestly, I find a lot to like about this new bike.  Whether it sounds and feels and rides and dances and sings like the Moto Guzzi I love remains to be discovered.

I am also happy to see that this model is the V100 "Mandello."  Suggestive of the concept that there will be follow-on V100 models with different "flavors", just as the CARC platform was used.

9 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

That is just incredibly bad deep etching on the image.

Chris (retired graphic artist with 40 years experience fixing up rubbish work just like this.)

What do you mean by this? Just out of interest.

Ciao

I see the rear brake master cylinder (mounted at a nicely tipped-up angle, but also saw a view of the rear of the engine showing the clutch master clearly accessible (unlike the V11).

12 minutes ago, docc said:

Quite honestly, I find a lot to like about this new bike.  Whether it sounds and feels and rides and dances and sings like the Moto Guzzi I love remains to be discovered.

I am also happy to see that this model is the V100 "Mandello."  Suggestive of the concept that there will be follow-on V100 models with different "flavors", just as the CARC platform was used.

Yes I'm liking it too docc. Just want to see some technical details on the "compromises"

Ciao

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, docc said:

I see the rear brake master cylinder (mounted at a nicely tipped-up angle, but also saw a view of the rear of the engine showing the clutch master clearly accessible (unlike the V11).

Really, can you link me that image? Of course the master may be at the back operating the clutch through the jackshaft like a V11 does through the gearbox mainshaft.

EDIT.....Ok got it. So that's interesting. Maybe a re think is in order on the clutch. It looks like the clutch master is in line with the crankcase split line so in line with the crank and it's bolted to a large removeable cover so maybe a multi plate clutch behind the engine then.

Ciao

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Really, can you link me that image? Of course the master may be at the back operating the clutch through the jackshaft like a V11 does through the gearbox mainshaft.

EDIT.....Ok got it.

Ciao

Did you find that image or the rear of the engine? I'm not seeing it now . . .