Moto Guzzi V100

biesel

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

What do you mean by this? Just out of interest.

Ciao

Deep etching is the process of eliminating unwanted portions of an image is usually done via a path and a mask but can be hacked with a magic wand or eraser in Photoshop.

My educated guess is that since it takes skill to draw an accurate path, wanding or selecting was used and I will back that assertion up by the presence of jagged lines, artifacts present and basically no regard of what the image is and the result needed.

Witness the radiator shroud robbing part of the engines side view.

A professional would have cloned that area in with regard to showing the complete shape of the engine minus foreground articles covering subject detail.

Mechanical edges should always be crisp and sharp, organic edges can suffer a degree of inaccuracy - but an engine block? No, the job is crap.

Too much of an answer?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

Deep etching is the process of eliminating unwanted portions of an image is usually done via a path and a mask but can be hacked with a magic wand or eraser in Photoshop.

My educated guess is that since it takes skill to draw an accurate path, wanding or selecting was used and I will back that assertion up by the presence of jagged lines, artifacts present and basically no regard of what the image is and the result needed.

Witness the radiator shroud robbing part of the engines side view.

A professional would have cloned that area in with regard to showing the complete shape of the engine minus foreground articles covering subject detail.

Mechanical edges should always be crisp and sharp, organic edges can suffer a degree of inaccuracy - but an engine block? No, the job is crap.

Too much of an answer?

Thanks for that. I see the jagged line on the image manipulation. Looking at the shrouds on the header pipes I think they are to deflect hot air from the headers off the riders feet. I wonder why they manipulated the image of the front engine cover anyway, they also did it in one of the "whole bike" images as well.

Ciao

46 minutes ago, docc said:

Sooo, gearbox beneath the engine like Honda packaged the CX500? (I'm seeing some architectural similarities of placement and proportion . . .

Honda_cx500_1981_blue_rhs.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

small.04-63ad14a7cc7c544c.jpg.7773ef2f37

Some things but it ends at the cylinders and heads.

Ciao

15 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Some things but it ends at the cylinders and heads.

Ciao

Seems the front lump (what is "deep etched" out of the V100 motor pic) is the clutch on the CX500, whereas the left-rear lump is the alternator on the CX, but must be the clutch on the V100?

What packaging . . .

76fed50340439b19545f575823591a14.jpgHonda CX 500

20 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Thanks for that. I see the jagged line on the image manipulation. Looking at the shrouds on the header pipes I think they are to deflect hot air from the headers off the riders feet. I wonder why they manipulated the image of the front engine cover anyway, they also did it in one of the "whole bike" images as well.

Ciao

Hi, 

The shrouds or diagonal brace on the inner curve to me is there for resonance reasons.

My guess is that it's only clamped onto the header at either end and the middle had to fend for itself suffering tunning fork like vibrations along its stamped sheet metal length. Fatigue looks likely if not braced.

As to the image manipulation, you are being too kind, if I could channel my inner Roper here, it is done by shaved apes and is totally an unintentional mistake.

Chris.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, docc said:

Seems the front lump (what is "deep etched" out of the V100 motor pic) is the clutch on the CX500, whereas the left-rear lump is the alternator on the CX, but must be the clutch on the V100?

What packaging . . .

76fed50340439b19545f575823591a14.jpgHonda CX 500

Looks that way docc.

Ciao

1 minute ago, Lucky Phil said:

Looks that way docc.

Ciao

And also that the V100 drives the shaft from the left side. So, where is the gearbox? "Unit construction?"

And what is the big lump at the front? Crank driven alternator, Tonti-stlye?

6 minutes ago, docc said:

And also that the V100 drives the shaft from the left side. So, where is the gearbox? "Unit construction?"

And what is the big lump at the front? Crank driven alternator, Tonti-stlye?

Not unit construction. Alternator at the front and clutch at the back towards the left of centreline along with the gearbox.

See the gearbox bulk on the left rear side of engine.

moto-guzzi-v100-3.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

Cam chain drive.

Drive to the cams is at the rear of the cylinders but at the front will probably be a gear drive to a jackshaft for the cam chain drive like a Griso engine..

Ciao

I watched another walk-around (with another painful audio narrative). The gearbox certainly is behind the engine.  The left side of the V100 is not seen much! But the torque reaction of the shaft drive looks directed through the monoshock (to my eye).

The front cover is more narrow than I had thought, much like the external alternator drive of the 1200 big block, so probably not a Tonti-style crank-nose alternator . . .

I note that MG dropped the right hand shaft like a hot potato. So now it's a guess as to engine rotation and how many changes of direction in the trans and final drive. 100 years and all, the big "P" musta spent a few bucks on her: fat farm, makeover and what have you.  

• Haha 1