Moto Guzzi V100

biesel

Yeah, we'll see what the "fat farm" gives us.  Somehow, BMW shed some 70 pounds from their venerable GS at some point? A liter-class Moto Guzzi under 500 pounds (wet) with even 20 more horsepower than my V11?

"Pinch me, Guido !"

3a1bc53cb79b9bd57689f582de95a688.png&f=1

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, docc said:

Seems the front lump (what is "deep etched" out of the V100 motor pic) is the clutch on the CX500, whereas the left-rear lump is the alternator on the CX, but must be the clutch on the V100?

What packaging . . .

76fed50340439b19545f575823591a14.jpgHonda CX 500

Honda literally took a "straight ahead" engine package and simply turned it sideways. More easily seen if you take this as the left rear 3/4 view. Then, everything (except shaft and rad) are right where they'd be on, say, a VT700.

• Like 1

That we are all guessing, and even dreaming a bit, may be part of the Italian way, yes? 

I recall the V11 Sport reveal at EICMA, 1997. What a surprise! No internet spoilers or advance, veiled images. No suggestive press releases. Just put it on the podium, let the "magazines" print tiny images and let the faithful lust and pine over it for two or three years . . .

gallery_328_223_561466.jpeg

• Like 1

I was, of course, a younger man, then. That dark beauty with all that red blood coursing through her Red Frame . . . nothing but a big motor with enough stuff bolted on to (hopefully) hang on to . . .  the hook was set (quite obviously, as we now know).

This new creation. We are so much more, erm , mature and circumspect now.  Once more, exactly why they are not building this for us. And shouldn't.

It is a fascinating effort in an amazing time. I cannot wait to see and hear one! Are demo rides too much to ask for?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

We're all guessing to some extent.

Ciao

Having another gander at the engine side view I guessimate that the main power take off is at the front of the crank, does a 2:1 reduction onto a lay shaft that lies between the V and then drives 2 short chains to the DOHC's.

Most modern bikes do a reduction before clutch.

The layshaft then powers the rear mounted clutch, starter motor and alternator.

The rear clutch pack looks to be serviceable by only removing the rear tyre and working it from the right side of the bike.

Cheers, Chris.

18 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

Having another gander at the engine side view I guessimate that the main power take off is at the front of the crank, does a 2:1 reduction onto a lay shaft that lies between the V and then drives 2 short chains to the DOHC's.

Most modern bikes do a reduction before clutch.

The layshaft then powers the rear mounted clutch, starter motor and alternator.

The rear clutch pack looks to be serviceable by only removing the rear tyre and working it from the right side of the bike.

Cheers, Chris.

Certainly for the cam drive, that's how the Griso works. The problem for the main drive is a 2:1 reduction doesn't work mechanically for a load like the main drive on a twin because of gear tooth wear, unless it's chain. That's why Ducati always use of late 1.87:1 or some other similar ratio which doesn't work for the cam drive. 

Ciao 

I can't see any reason to stick with the dummy/jackshaft design to take drive from front of engine to rear for the cam drive. 

My guess is clutch at the back but I was thinking reduction geared to the crank with chain driven board from the clutch drive gear to the top end with either a conventional 'Long' chain around two cam sprockets or a 1 to 1 drive to an idler with 1 To 2 reduction to the cams via gear.

Really, until we see some exploded diagrams or cutaway drawings it's all pretty pointless speculation.

• Haha 1

Not at all pointless! I love hearing what you all have to say!

Is this really is the most quantum leap Guzzi has made since leaving the 1921-1975 horizontal single for the 1967-2020 "BigBlock V-Twin?" :huh2:

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Certainly for the cam drive, that's how the Griso works. The problem for the main drive is a 2:1 reduction doesn't work mechanically for a load like the main drive on a twin because of gear tooth wear, unless it's chain. That's why Ducati always use of late 1.87:1 or some other similar ratio .....

Ah, are we talking about a hunting tooth to prevent wear?

• 3 weeks later...