Jump to content
IGNORED

Moto Guzzi V100 Sport Tourer: water cooled, 120 HP (26th of August 2021)


p6x
 Share

Recommended Posts

As published by Moto.it today, 26-Aug-2021

The new model will be presented at this year's EICMA in Milan.

Follow the link and read the announcement which does not contain much specifications that can be verified. The engine architecture will be the same, its capacity 1000cc, and it will be water-cooled (most likely to satisfy with the progressing anti-pollution rules in Europe).

There are some pics but taken from a distance, so not much more than what is said in the article.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here we...go.

I'm not impressed with the design. Looks like the CARC rear box, though. I'm sure it will be an amazing machine, but the style lets me down a little.

I'm fine with eventually breaking with tradition, and going water-cooled, turning the heads, etc. It still looks unmistakably like one of Mandello's finest...but it only makes me lust after a crude and beefy V11 LeMans/Sport even more.

If Guzzi were wise, they would use this platform to bring back the LeMans with retro style like BMW's R9T. 

I hope this machine sells well.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's interesting that there are already two prototypes. Note that you can't see an obvious exhaust in the picture above while in the 'Spy' pics one is clearly visible on the left of the bike.

The heads haven't been 'Turned', it's just the only real way to run a DOHC system if you keep the longitudinal crank. You could keep it 'Conventional' by driving the cams with bevel towers I suppose but it would be hellishly complex, sap more power and be heavier.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pete roper said:

It's interesting that there are already two prototypes. Note that you can't see an obvious exhaust in the picture above while in the 'Spy' pics one is clearly visible on the left of the bike.

The heads haven't been 'Turned', it's just the only real way to run a DOHC system if you keep the longitudinal crank. You could keep it 'Conventional' by driving the cams with bevel towers I suppose but it would be hellishly complex, sap more power and be heavier.

I had not even considered that Guzzi would go OHC again. I thought they would keep the OHV setup. Interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They'd never be able to make competitive 'Modern' power with an OHV set up. The reason the TB/s are central and the exhausts exit on the outer edges of the heads you can tell it's a DOHC set-up as the cams have to run in the same plane as the crank.

if you look at the Caponord 1200 motor you can see a lot of similarities.

I can't do photo's here, I always forget how, but if you look at a Caponord engine in the parts list you can see where the idler gear shaft I and then the two camshafts under the head cover. It's standard Piaggio/Aprilia design and mimics a lot of the engineering in the Rotax motors used in the RSV twins.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else is in the motive unit.

People we're always wingeing that the Gen 2 Hi-Cam *Only* made 100hp. I always found it amazing that it did! It's a very compromised design but it will make 100 rear wheel ponies and not a lot more, no matter what people claim. To get serious HP and meet E5 a DOHC and water cooled powerplant was the only way forward. Unfortunately the forced adoption of OBD II protocols spells the death knell of remapping by aftermarket sources and home tuning. From here on in we're at the mercy of the manufacturers.

Bring on the E bikes and whatever comes after them and let's stand at the stern rail and wave our handkerchiefs in farewell to dirty old fossil fuels! Our grandchildren will thank us.......

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, pete roper said:

They'd never be able to make competitive 'Modern' power with an OHV set up.

wouldn't matter if they did the "competitive" guys will stay with whatever  they perceive as the competitive edge... and that will always stay in front of Guzzi money.

 

56 minutes ago, pete roper said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what else is in the motive unit

me too

56 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Bring on the E bikes and whatever comes after them and let's stand at the stern rail and wave our handkerchiefs in farewell to dirty old fossil fuels! Our grandchildren will thank us.......

shite to that. And our grandchildren? they'll view us as lucky fools no matter what we do.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Why? Why "Shite to that"?
 

What upsets you so much about alternative technologies?

More dino burners for me.

Electric? Ever see a Tesla on fire? Want to sit on one when it randomly goes hot while riding?

Hot exhaust is enough for me. 😂

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Why? Why "Shite to that"?
 

What upsets you so much about alternative technologies?

Please don't misunderstand, alternatives are fine with me. I know it's coming. I don't deny progress or inevitability. Doesn't mean I have to like it, endorse it, welcome it, want it, or wish it. "bring on the E bikes?" ok, so the E bikes are here and I'll watch them fail, fail, and fail in sales... until governments prop them up, younger people buy them, and people like me are gone.

A friend once said to me, while watching a very bad movie "just because they make a movie, doesn't mean you have to watch it" ...drunk, but wise.

There is a bigger conversation to be had about "the environment" and personalities, for one answer "why shite to that"...and that would be a :drink:but welcome conversation.

People (enthusiasts) my age have the unfortunate advantage of watching the demise of ICE's. Those who welcome/encourage it I would say, don't understand the motorcycle experience the way I do. That's fine too, ... you do you , I do me,.. liberte'. I'm just an end user and don't give a crap about tech or green. All visceral, no pretense. I like to think that's why I'm here.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I don't see much LeMans in that. Looks like a swoopy Quota to me. Got a long ass swing arm/final drive....looks to have trans in the crankcase...

looks like a catalytic converter just behind the side stand. Until we get some nice clear pictures or someone puts eyes on it ....well ,down here we call that "pissin in the wind "

Not much of an electric fan myself. Thought it would be great for the wifey then I decided I did not want to be on call for the remaining days of my life fetching her cause she did not plug it in:doh:.

In the mean time, I will burn all the petrol I can cause thats what runs everything in my garage. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@andy york you are looking at what Piaggio marketing team projects.

The European stats say that among the best selling bikes, the "Adventure" type is (very) successful. According to the Italian sites that I peruse, the Moto Guzzi Stelvio is MG's most purchased model actually among all the V7 iterative release.

Every brand makes something to compete with the BMW GS, the reference, and the most successful model in some European countries.

In Europe, every year unveils new pollution norms that bikes submitted for certification have to abide by. This is the reason for listing the anti-pollution norm in the "for sale" listings; typically, the V11 comply to EURO 3. The current norm is EURO 6. Next will be EURO 7 which protocol should be decided and voted by the end of 2021, to take effect in 2025. Always more restrictive.

Not many air cooled engine left out there, and cities are restricting access to those vehicles who can't meet certain targets.

Pretty soon, the US will be one of the few countries in the developed world to still allow us to ride our bikes everywhere we want, for better or for worse...

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, p6x said:

The European stats say that among the best selling bikes, the "Adventure" type is (very) successful. According to the Italian sites that I peruse, the Moto Guzzi Stelvio is MG's most purchased model actually among all the V7 iterative release.

Do you mean the V85TT? The Stelvio was discontinued. I think last year of production was 2017, which is the year I have.

And mine is a fine machine. Today, it passed through Pauma Valley via a couple dirt roads. Then filled up with 25 pounds of oranges, 20 pounds of ruby red grapefruit, Mexican mangos, Reed Avocados, passion fruit, and a bit of ginger. All that in the saddlebags and top case with room to spare. So I had a back road, fruit stand adventure.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Scud said:

Do you mean the V85TT? The Stelvio was discontinued. I think last year of production was 2017, which is the year I have.

And mine is a fine machine. Today, it passed through Pauma Valley via a couple dirt roads. Then filled up with 25 pounds of oranges, 20 pounds of ruby red grapefruit, Mexican mangos, Reed Avocados, passion fruit, and a bit of ginger. All that in the saddlebags and top case with room to spare. So I had a back road, fruit stand adventure.

sorry, yes. The V85TT is (according to Moto.it) the model that currently sells the most amongst all the current commercialized Guzzi.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...