Moto Guzzi V100 Sport Tourer: water cooled, 120 HP (26th of August 2021)

p6x

2 hours ago, Mikko said:

Yeah, I wished they were the ones to take over Norton.  I still want a 1200 4cyl Daytona…

They are so worth it, Nikko. Stock Nissin brakes are not up to task of slowing down such inertia from dizzying speeds the Daytona 1200 is easily capable of. 100mph feels relaxed, like 70mph. 70mph, feels little more than idling down the motorway.

Would recommend. Needs Alcon TR-6 brakes though...but not for $800 US per side...

I didn't see anyone had posted this V100 Mandello release video yet, apologies if it's a repeat - I just received it this evening:

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Like:
profile and stance
engine
short (I think?) wheelbase
self-adjusting bits
colour schemes

Don't like:
CARC-esque swingarm but uglier
no reaction rod
no rising rate
mega wide ADV/Panamerica front end look and headlight

It's not as bad as the teaser shot made it look, by a mile. There's a ton of potential here. I hope you guys get your V100 Le Mans, but I hope I get a V130 MGS02. ;p

Have read this topic with interest and there are some things I would like to comment on.

Rising rate suspension, to me it's a bit of a gimmick if you only have between 4 to 6 " of travel and here with the forward cant of the rear shock and progressive wound spring it has it mildly built in anyway.

The lack of reaction rod, with the swinging arm the length of an oil barge the squat will be minimal and hey, let's call it character and further consider it's a 'sports' bike not a racer. That and the lack of linkage and joints cuts down on unsprung weight.

The fairing, consider what it had to hide, headlights, induction system (massive), fuel load, frame, be a radiator shroud, electricals with most likely the battery hiding up under it AND it has to be aerodynamic, look good and be the mobile bill board for Guzzi signage. I think that it looks just fine and comparing it to say a Le Man's that houses almost nothing seems a bit silly. If you want to compare then pit it against the Stelvio.

The movable side vents, just wondering if this is more of a hot air exit than anything else, you know, hot day, fan kicks in, vent opens, hot air rises  etc. Seems like a good thing to me.

Enough for now, Chris.

• Like 3

No particular argument. Shaft jacking on my SP and its (relative) absence on my Sport i are not bothersome - my crits are really more aesthetics, including the rod and rising rate bits. I just like those features, haha. I do think the Bellagio has the nicest suspension, though. The smoothness of that platform - man, should have been a whole family of bikes right there.

Do like the V100 silhouette a lot more than I would have expected off the (obviously rather carefully chosen, worst possible angle) teaser pic. :lol:

Welcome Chris. To be honest the thing is growing on me. Especially the green one. If I thought it perfection I still would have no use for it. I'm just past that type/size/class/sort of machine, but they aren't building their new line for me are they. I'm circling the drain as a demographic. It certainly looks better than several that came out post 2005 (won't mention names). Guzzisti are gonna bitch about anything new from Guzzi. That's what we do. They must know this. They're building for the future, as they should. All that said, the motor is very interesting. They have my attention and should they come up with a chassis that makes me feel the way I did when I first saw the Tenni.... who knows?

• Like 3

Hi Footloose,

I find it curious that if you asked the Guzzista 20 years ago what they wanted improved in their bikes you would get -

More power 

Better brakes 

Lighter weight 

More reliable

More, more, more.

And yet when they actually get 'more' they fall back on well it ain't like the old stuff so it's not what I am looking for.

What's a bet that Guzzi will offer a customisation suite that is Clan based to cover off every asthetic whim imaginable.

Don't like the fairing?

Here choose another style that will simply snap on.

Want a reactive drive?

Go for the R version, it simply bolts on.

I can see it coming a mile away.

Chris.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

Isn't that what Guzzi did with the 1100 sport?

What is to stop them from adding a CARC and a reaction rod in a different model?

The front swing arm casting looks to have enough vertical section to handle movement so it's just a matter of swapping out the rear.

Chris.

I think you mean the 1200 Sport. Requires a whole new gearbox housing I believe.

Ciao

5 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

Isn't that what Guzzi did with the 1100 sport?

What is to stop them from adding a CARC and a reaction rod in a different model?

The front swing arm casting looks to have enough vertical section to handle movement so it's just a matter of swapping out the rear.

Chris.

Errr? No.

1100 Sport and then the V11's use a solid swingarm but the bevelbox itself is free to move on the rear wheel spindle.

The CARC bikes use a reactive bridge within a solid casing that moves in relation to swingarm on what are effectively the wheel bearings within the case that support the crownwheel and pinion.

With this new swingarm it just seems to be a rigid arm with a bevelbox bolted to the end but there is no tether rod to transfer the torsional forces to the frame of the vehicle meaning that as the pinion tries to climb the crownwheel it will exert an upward force on the arm. That makes the suspension unable to remain compliant and prevents it doing its job.

Likewise on downchanges the tendency will be to compress the suspension and unload the rear tyre leading to tyre hop and loss of traction.

• Like 1

I don't really like the look of this bike. But it isn't being marketed towards me. I do like the engine design, so far. I am fine with the liquid cooling and the way the exhaust and intake are oriented.

Like others, I am disappointed about the apparent lack of a reaction rod system for the rear drive. It should be there on any shaft drive bike making more than 50 hp or so. And if this motor is making over 100 hp there is no doubt it should have one. I am not sure the suspension will be a winner. On the one hand, it is using a cantilever shock with what looks to be a straight rate spring. The V11 uses that. But the location of where the shock connect to the system is vastly different, and that will likely change the way the rising rate curve performs. I am not confident that it will be able to control the rear. Add to that the torque reaction when you get on the gas trying to extend the swing arm, making the suspension overly stiff and non-compliant, and reversing that when you let off the gas (making the suspension overly soft). I have ridden a fairly powerful shaft drive bike without a reaction rod setup and while you can ride around it you do notice the difference. Given the choice I would choose shaft drive with the reaction rod setup. Just making the rear swingarm extra long helps, but it isn't going to solve the problem.

Anyway, I would not buy this Guzzi, but I hope they build a Guzzi on this platform I would buy. I am not overly confident they will, but I am hopeful. It is certainly better than where they were going before now, with only the small block line and those big cruisers. I am happy with the basic premise of a liquid cooled modern Guzzi engine. Now lets see where they take this.

Oh, and for the record, the Centauro was not ugly, and the MGS01 was the sexiest Guzzi they are made. The V11 is at best the second sexiest Guzzi they ever made.