Moto Guzzi V100 Sport Tourer: water cooled, 120 HP (26th of August 2021)

p6x

13 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

What Guzzi should offer is a high interest leasing program to the skeptical ones here, so that those who don't want to keep it, can ride it for 2 or 3 years, enjoy it and then turn it in and not worry about stashing parts for 10-20 years down the road in case you didn't care to keep it longer.  That should do away with all of the pooh poohing of the new bikes. 

As far back as I can remember, every Guzzi has been an owner involvement relationship. Not for the casual, the weekend warrior, or the urban poseur. In recent years, that has sadly been PeeAhGeeOh's aim.

10 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

On a chain drive motorcycle getting the relationship between swing arm pivot, counter shaft sprocket, and rear sprocket, right are key to getting the rear suspension to work under power. But I assume you know that.

The same tricks can be applied to a  reaction rod setup on a shaft drive motorcycle. You just fine tune the locations of the reaction rod ends. A little bit of energy being feed into the rear suspension may be a good thing to help deal with weight transfer. But too much is generally bad.

I will be curious to see how the details of this bike, and the others that follow, will play out. I am happy Guzzi finally has a proper big block engine. Now to see what they put it in.

Yes, it's a major consideration on the track when changing gearing and ride height. Not sure how the new Guzzi will play out in this regard, a lot of the jacking issues from my experience with it on BMW K100's was as much to do with the rate of jacking as magnitude. In other words how it was controlled. Time will tell.

Ciao

On 9/13/2021 at 9:52 PM, pete roper said:

Errr? No.

1100 Sport and then the V11's use a solid swingarm but the bevelbox itself is free to move on the rear wheel spindle.

The CARC bikes use a reactive bridge within a solid casing that moves in relation to swingarm on what are effectively the wheel bearings within the case that support the crownwheel and pinion.

With this new swingarm it just seems to be a rigid arm with a bevelbox bolted to the end but there is no tether rod to transfer the torsional forces to the frame of the vehicle meaning that as the pinion tries to climb the crownwheel it will exert an upward force on the arm. That makes the suspension unable to remain compliant and prevents it doing its job.

Likewise on downchanges the tendency will be to compress the suspension and unload the rear tyre leading to tyre hop and loss of traction.

Yeah I know how it works Pete and this is the third shaft driven bike that I have owned.

I was just wishful thinking that you 'could' take a CARC bevel box, bolt it on with a double uni jointed from drive and run the rod back to the frame.

The swing arm  does seem to allow for the vertical movement for the second uni.

But as I said, wishful thinking.

Chris.

6 hours ago, po18guy said:

As far back as I can remember, every Guzzi has been an owner involvement relationship. Not for the casual, the weekend warrior, or the urban poseur. In recent years, that has sadly been PeeAhGeeOh's aim.

That's what suspenders are for :oldgit:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mikko said:

This is where the world is headed. The Rent Seeking class continues to push towards planned obsolescence. We as a race are hurtling headlong into a situation where we are becoming increasingly ignorant and when something catastrophic happens… we’ll, it’ll be back to the Stone Age.

Any town with a rail museum, or even just a steam loco on a plinth by their station, should probably make sure those locos are well protected from the elements. The survivors of the Fall may end up needing all of them again. :P

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kremmen said:

Any town with a rail museum, or even just a steam loco on a plinth by their station, should probably make sure those locos are well protected from the elements. The survivors of the Fall may end up needing all of them again. :P

At least ya'll have Max Rockatanski, all we have is Buffalo Horn Guy and I'd trade him for Milo in a second.:ninja:

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2021 at 5:01 AM, Mikko said:

We as a race are hurtling headlong into a situation where we are becoming increasingly ignorant and when something catastrophic happens… well, it’ll be back to the Stone Age.

Something that I think has happened maybe more than once already.

Oh yeah... I think huge bits of history have been lost but are being rediscovered and reinterpreted. 

Gobekli Tepe - a 12,000 year old technology transfer site.

Discovery of mythical city of Dwarka off the coast of India. At least 10,000 years old. Found underwater at a depth that would have been dry land during the last ice age.

I recently read Graham Hancock's book America Before, which details archeological evidence for ancient civilizations that were wiped out when a comet hit the ice in what is now Canada - triggering the end of the Ice Age (Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis). And how the evidence is routinely suppressed or destroyed by people with beliefs or agendas that are threatened by the possibility of 100,000 years history of human civilization.

...thread drift... :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like many things about the new V100, and glad Guzzi is producing a sport touring bike. That said, and coincidentally, Triumph just released their new Speed Triple. All things considered, it's hard not to lean towards this option between the two.e52aa91a3730ce0cbc64484d8a9c27f5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 4corsa said:

I like many things about the new V100, and glad Guzzi is producing a sport touring bike. That said, and coincidentally, Triumph just released their new Speed Triple. All things considered, it's hard not to lean towards this option between the two.e52aa91a3730ce0cbc64484d8a9c27f5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Two different animals, two different types of clients. However, cool. For the suggested price of the new Speed Triple RR I'd rather an MV Superveloce Realistically, when the Speed Triple R hits it'll be atound the price of a Superveloce anyway. The MVs have been going out the doors for around $22k. That's about what the Speedy will be out the door. 

But the Guzzi? My guess prolly around $15k. Maybe less after the hype goes away. 

15 hours ago, Scud said:

Gobekli Tepe - a 12,000 year old technology transfer site.

Discovery of mythical city of Dwarka off the coast of India. At least 10,000 years old. Found underwater at a depth that would have been dry land during the last ice age.

I recently read Graham Hancock's book America Before, which details archeological evidence for ancient civilizations that were wiped out when a comet hit the ice in what is now Canada - triggering the end of the Ice Age (Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis).

Haha, I love fringe stuff. Most of it is bollocks frankly but every now and again you get something mind-boggling and real, Gobekli Tepe is like that. A 12,000 year old temple complex with megalithic bas-relief stone carving - stuff on that scale at that time is just unheard of. They were innovating like crazy.

Dwarka is a real city in the present day and has always been an important Hindu holy site. It likely dates back a good long way, Indus Valley times maybe, but the claims about ice age settlement there looked pretty shaky last time I looked into it. There are underwater remains but more to do with much more recent coastal erosion, like with Alexandria. Middle Kingdoms stuff. I hope we get something under water that’s as solid as Gobekli Tepe some day, I don’t think this one is it, but something like that would be huge.

The Younger Dryas was more of a temporary return of the ice age than the end of it. Like a nuclear winter on steroids. IIRC the comet impact idea isn’t set in stone yet but it sure looks like it fits the facts. There's a whopping big crater under the ice in eastern Greenland that looks like it might be the culprit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rox Lemans said:

Two different animals, two different types of clients. However, cool. For the suggested price of the new Speed Triple RR I'd rather an MV Superveloce Realistically, when the Speed Triple R hits it'll be atound the price of a Superveloce anyway. The MVs have been going out the doors for around $22k. That's about what the Speedy will be out the door. 

But the Guzzi? My guess prolly around $15k. Maybe less after the hype goes away. 

Yes, but the after sales service and parts availability for the sexy MV Superveloce? Unacceptable garbage from everything I have heard from owners. Even lately, when the CEO claims MV has improved...by what metrics?

It sure looks amazing, though... especially in that gold and black. They just don't or won't stand behind their products. I'm not gambling $22k... I'm not patient with flaws for that outlay. I expect damn near perfection for a $22k motorcycle.

At least you can get parts and warranty coverage for the Triumph. If Triumph isn't exotic enough, I'd nab any V4 Aprilia or Ducati. At least you are acknowledged after you buy it. Especially with a new Ducati. They treat their clients like celebrities almost...well, if you get a Panigale at least.

VW/Audi wants you happy. They want you coming back. Ask me how I know.

Piagio would be wise to follow their lead in the US market if they want a future.

• Like 1