GuzziDiag version for Mac OS X: 0.50? or 0.47?

p6x

13 hours ago, docc said:

I am using GuzziDiag V0.47 with Mac OS 10.13.6

(Kind of afraid to upgrade the guzzidiag version since what I have "works" . . . )

hmm...

Usually, updated software versions propose new functionalities that nobody required, supposedly enhancements of existing features that worked perfectly before, fixes the bugs, and of course introduce new bugs that will require fixing in the subsequent version.

I fully get your hesitation.

However, on my MacBook, the run window no longer espouses the display size; and of course, I still can't talk to the interface.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, p6x said:

Usually, updated software versions propose new functionalities....

Bear in mind that Bernd isn't working on Guzzidiag in order to sell something. He is doing it because he is interested. He aims to keep it as simple and robust as possible, and only releases a new version when he is sure he has fixed some known bugs. You wont see "fantastic new features that nobody wants". :)

Hi, been looking into this (have not tried to map it yet, I'm waiting on cables)  and I'm running a Mac OS Ventura 13.3. I reached out directly to FTDI for the USB plugin and here is their response (below) . Hope this helps some folks. 

As for the Guzzidiag application - the GuzziDiag_V0.46.app.zip worked fine on my Mac - as long as I placed in my Applications folder.  If folks are having trouble getting it installed because of a permission issue here is a video on how to change permissions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWSySXfR17c

FTDI RESPONSE: 

Our latest Mac OS DEXT VCP driver (1_5_0) will work with Mac OS 13 Ventura.

DEXT Driver Install for Monterey/Ventura:

The AppleFTDI driver for Mac OS Ventura  (13.x) uses a DEXT (DriverKit extension ), not a KEXT (kernel extension driver)

You need to use the DEXT based  FTDI v1_5_0 Mac VCP driver  for Ventura.

Here is how to install the FTDI Mac OS Dext driver v 1_5_0 on your Mac:

On your Mac, go to System Settings/Privacy and Security.

Select the check box for “Allow Applications Downloaded from App Store and Identified Developers”

Copy the downloaded app file  (extracted from Zip)  to the /Applications directory (under root)

In the Applications folder, just double click on “FTDIUSBSerialDextInstaller_1_5_0”

You should see the following pop-up:

0?ui=2&ik=408cfc50eb&attid=0.2&permmsgid

click on the “Install FTDI USB Serial Dext VCP” pushbutton, and you should get confirmation of the installation:

0?ui=2&ik=408cfc50eb&attid=0.3&permmsgid

The 1_5_0  driver was tested on a Mac Mini M1 running Mac OS Ventura.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, audiomick said:

Bear in mind that Bernd isn't working on Guzzidiag in order to sell something. He is doing it because he is interested. He aims to keep it as simple and robust as possible, and only releases a new version when he is sure he has fixed some known bugs. You wont see "fantastic new features that nobody wants". :)

I know what you are saying.

Unfortunately, the GuzziDiag application runs on operating systems that do get updated regularly. Even if the Guzzi's ECU the software talks aren't, all the various drivers required to pilot the interface may require updates from time to time.

One way to get rid of making the application work on multiple variations of operating systems, would be to make it server based instead of being client based. Having the application run from a server would do away with the issue of making multiple versions. But servers are not cheap, and browsers evolve too.

To alleviate the problems, Bernd could decide to support a single browser which is universally used; server rental could be subscribed by those who want to use GuzziDiag; given that not many connections would be required, the rental costs could be negligible. In this way, Bernd would only update a single version.

As far as new features, what if some of the V100 owners asked Bernd to have GuzziDiag work for the new ECU generation too?

Here's my issue; that's before updating any driver for the interface:

As you can see, the "green" button that is used to resize the window is grayed out. The GuzziDiag window does not fit my screen in either axis.

It used to fit perfectly before. Even if my MacBook Pro does not update any longer, and I have not updated GuzziDiag, there must have been a change out of my knowledge.

GuzziDiag_V0.47 oversized window

3 hours ago, p6x said:

...what if some of the V100 owners asked Bernd to have GuzziDiag work for the new ECU generation too?

They already have. I don't know how long it is likely to take, but I'm pretty sure Bernd has at least started thinking about that. :)

As far as hosting the programme on a server goes, I wouldn't want that. That would require internet access in the garage, which I don't have. I think that would be a stopper for a relevant number of potential users. :huh2:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, audiomick said:

They already have. I don't know how long it is likely to take, but I'm pretty sure Bernd has at least started thinking about that. :)

As far as hosting the programme on a server goes, I wouldn't want that. That would require internet access in the garage, which I don't have. I think that would be a stopper for a relevant number of potential users. :huh2:

I have to remember than not everybody has their garage with an Internet connection...