Are there any V11 (other MGs) female owners registered to this forum?

Btw, not to sounds like a total ignoramus, but what's the difference between a "raid" and a "ride"?

Thanks, I answered my own question. For those who were also wondering:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rally_raid

Very cool that she did that rally. And on an MG 750 no less!

Here she is, all bad-ass and lovely. Very French.:

https://thevintagent.com/2021/07/11/the-unstoppable-anne-france-dautheville/

*Disclaimer: The "South'n SpineRaid" only borrows the term, tongue-in-cheek. True rally raids are serious, gruesome, impressive affairs. About the most serious event at a South'n SpineRaid is figuring out how to get the stack of pizzas delivered. :grin:

Mademoiselle Dautheville:
346.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't believe I'd trust her to deliver a stack of pizzas intact. Geez, look at that mess on the rear of that lovely Ambo/Eldo/? tho I wouldn't care if she left my dinner on the road somewhere, as long as she was sorry.

Interesting fly screen as well. Multi-purpose.

17 hours ago, footgoose said:

I don't believe I'd trust her to deliver a stack of pizzas intact. Geez, look at that mess on the rear of that lovely Ambo/Eldo/? tho I wouldn't care if she left my dinner on the road somewhere, as long as she was sorry.

Interesting fly screen as well. Multi-purpose.

If I recall what she wrote, a lot of the mods were done "on the fly" as they went on during the trip.

And she broke the front wheel axle and a "bush" mechanic replaced it with something roughly similar. Still she finished the trip with it. 

This Guzzi should have been kept in a Museum somewhere.

I am going to try to find the book on eBay. I lost mine but the story is worth sharing here.

• Like 2

The badge on the bike looks like “V7 Special” if I am reading it correctly. Would this be a European designation for what in the U.S. was an Ambassador, or would this be a pre-Ambassador variant of the V7? (I’m thinking of the V7 first V-twin model, before the Ambassador).

22 minutes ago, Kane said:

The badge on the bike looks like “V7 Special” if I am reading it correctly. Would this be a European designation for what in the U.S. was an Ambassador, or would this be a pre-Ambassador variant of the V7? (I’m thinking of the V7 first V-twin model, before the Ambassador).

In his excellent reference, Moto Guzzi - The Complete History from 1921,  Mario Colombo writes:

"The V7 was replaced in 1969 with the V7 Special which had an uprated 757 cc engine and various other mechanical (gearbox) and and design improvements (wider tank, complete instrument pack, white paintwork with red stripes). Special models were prepared for the American Market with names like Ambassador, Eldorado, and California."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had thought the early engine cases, like those pictured on that V7 Special, with the simple vertical ribs (before the "waffle" pattern used through the last big blocks) were all V7 703 cc, but seems that must have changed later (not sure when, 1971?)

Mademoiselle Dautheville is not the only rider to put the old loop frame Guzzi to hard mile riding. No ECU, disc brakes, fuel mapping, EFI, etc. They did ok. Is this a case of making due with what was on hand at the time, or are we missing something in the modern motorcycle era?
I know Mr. Adam’s is using a digital camera, but his bike and going forth are pretty old school.

• Thanks 1
On 9/4/2021 at 8:43 AM, Kane said:

I read Holbrook’s book, and it’s ok. I’ve been reading a few motorcycle journey books, and she’s a decent writer and tells some good stories. When I think of real-deal hard-core riders, Bessie comes to top of mind:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessie_Stringfield

At Pro Italia in Southern California, I’d say 5-10% of the riders and customers that come through are women. Some are serious sport riders, one gal is on a Duc 1299, one races a Aprilia RS660. Most seem to be buying MG V7s and Royal Enfields. I met a young woman yesterday who went from riding a Sportster to a V7 and was really happy with it. I recall one older woman on a Breva 1100 touring bike (she was looking to upgrade to a Multistrada V4), but most of the woman I’ve run into are young and starting out. I hope they stick with it and we can build our community! On the roads I probably see women riding Harleys as much as anything.

*Dang so many typos. That's what I get for typing before coffee on a rush out the door. Sorry!

I received the book today, and took a quick peek in it; right away, I had the feeling this was written decades ago....

I was correct. The copyright is from 1997.

The depiction of the two types of bike riders does not ring true with the current world any longer. I now think there are more than two types of riders.

Anyway, I will finish the book before I come back to exchange.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Kane said:

Mademoiselle Dautheville is not the only rider to put the old loop frame Guzzi to hard mile riding. No ECU, disc brakes, fuel mapping, EFI, etc. They did ok. Is this a case of making due with what was on hand at the time, or are we missing something in the modern motorcycle era?
I know Mr. Adam’s is using a digital camera, but his bike and going forth are pretty old school.

I am subscriber of Mr Adams too...

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Here's the map of what Anne-France Dautheville did; the "raid" was ending in Ispahan, Iran. But she went all the way to Rawalpindi in Pakistan.

Today I did 6 miles with my Le Mans....

Orion Raid Map

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Kane said:

Mademoiselle Dautheville is not the only rider to put the old loop frame Guzzi to hard mile riding.

She was born on March 22nd 1944; I doubt that she is still a "Demoiselle"...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, p6x said:

She was born on March 22nd 1944; I doubt that she is still a "Demoiselle"...

I wondered that I would be mis-speaking of that. Yet, her images did not impress me as "Madame" . . .