Roper tray/plate for '01 V11 Sport?

VtwinStorm

I understand the oil pickup is up front and during hard acceleration can lead to oil starvation---Not good. In the intertest of not lunching my engine, I'll take the cheap insurance.

I've been doing some reading about it and want to get a Roper tray. Paging Dr. Roper?

3 minutes ago, VtwinStorm said:

I understand the oil pickup is up front and during hard acceleration can lead to oil starvation---Not good. In the intertest of not lunching my engine, I'll take the cheap insurance.

I've been doing some reading about it and want to get a Roper tray. Paging Dr. Roper?

What you are seeking, my friend, is the "RUSTY STAR PICKET PROJECT." Accept no substitutes!

Roperplate.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, docc said:

What you are seeking, my friend, is the "RUSTY STAR PICKET PROJECT." Accept no substitutes!

Roperplate.jpg

Thank you, Docc! Will buy and install one post-haste!

• Like 2

@docc just a question for my own curiosity.

Regarding oil level, on the V11 is it better to just fill to the dipstick mark?

Or as I've done on my Sporti and HiCam, fill to the base of the plate, which is a good deal higher than the high mark on the dipstick?

John

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Weegie said:

Regarding oil level, on the V11 is it better to just fill to the dipstick mark?

Or as I've done on my Sporti and HiCam, fill to the base of the plate, which is a good deal higher than the high mark on the dipstick?

I've wondered that myself.

A higher oil level seems like a good idea for improved pump priming and reduced risk of pump cavitation, so long as the plate is there to stop the crank from thrashing the oil into foam.

But then higher oil level means less space for air/oil separation in the returning oil.

Also less crankcase air volume may mean more energetic pressure pulses into the breather system, possibly leading to more oil into the air box. Although a 90 degree twin probably has lower pulsing than some designs.

Or maybe there is no practical difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, MartyNZ said:

I've wondered that myself.

A higher oil level seems like a good idea for improved pump priming and reduced risk of pump cavitation, so long as the plate is there to stop the crank from thrashing the oil into foam.

But then higher oil level means less space for air/oil separation in the returning oil.

Also less crankcase air volume may mean more energetic pressure pulses into the breather system, possibly leading to more oil into the air box. Although a 90 degree twin probably has lower pulsing than some designs.

Or maybe there is no practical difference. 

Theoretically all the broadsumps should be the same as the bottom ends are for pratical purposes the same.

You've obviously given the subject more reasoning than I did. I just came across the recommendation on the GOG forum (on several threads) and thought I'd give it a try, I believe @Lucky Phil also fills his HiCam V11 to the bottom of the plate.

So I now run the Sporti and HiCam bikes with the oil level just below the plate. I kept an eye out for leaks on the first couple of runs out, but there were none and both bikes seem perfectly happy with the larger oil volume in the sump.

Perhaps it's just me but with the Roper Plate installed I find it trickier to see the oil level on the dipstick. Running the level just below the plate you can shine a flashlight down the dipstick hole and see the oil, making it easier to know how much lube is in the sump.

As I don't posses a V11, I just thought I'd ask on behalf of other V11 owners. I was previously running my HiCam at the mid point on the stick, the increased oil level seems to help in slowing the engine (over)heating when slow running a little and works for me.

• Like 1

I've been told its a good idea to mark a new notch on your dipstick just at the bottom of the plate while installing it ..thats what I did.

• Like 1